The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

49 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

would also be good to see some of them in action on Tuesday off the bench

I was assuming that they have not signed pro contracts hence why they were listed as trialists in the NL cup, otherwise they would have been on the bench yesterday?

I was assuming that they have not signed pro contracts hence why they were listed as trialists in the NL cup, otherwise they would have been on the bench yesterday?

No idea but they hadn’t been announced before yesterday’s game, even if they had been at the club for some time as trialists. Presumably there is some form of contract involved as there would be no logic in having youth players if other clubs can just pinch them for nothing whenever they show a bit of promise.

I don't know how I'd feel being given the No 23 shirt in a 14 man squad...but maybe it's an omen and we have a busy week ahead !
9jNIXhGsXtpAKgwpD8XgBQ_F2PxSkOu3rbWEbcl-zPjFMy4H6Ukwe_s0J2lFeeFX9s.jpg.552416ee44ec072c5334db122afdc7e5.jpg

Gabby’s kept his squad number from last season so I wouldn’t take it as a hint that we’ll have a 23 man squad anytime soon or as a hint that he won’t be a regular first team player.

36 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Gabby’s kept his squad number from last season so I wouldn’t take it as a hint that we’ll have a 23 man squad anytime soon or as a hint that he won’t be a regular first team player.

It’s most likely his preferred number of choice no chance gabby would get dropped if kept fit he definitely got 20+ goals in him

2 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

It’s most likely his preferred number of choice no chance gabby would get dropped if kept fit he definitely got 20+ goals in him

I actually don't think anyone currently signed has got 20 or more goals in them, what I do think we have though is easily 4 or 5 players capable of getting between 10 and 20 this season (Gal, Gabby, Smith, Salim, maybe Frizz). Sometimes I reckon that is better than a team with an "all the eggs in one basket" type striker.

Edited by cb_diamond

3 hours ago, CJB said:

I don't know how I'd feel being given the No 23 shirt in a 14 man squad...but maybe it's an omen and we have a busy week ahead !

9jNIXhGsXtpAKgwpD8XgBQ_F2PxSkOu3rbWEbcl-zPjFMy4H6Ukwe_s0J2lFeeFX9s.jpg

I'm getting used to names and squad numbers.    Must admit I want be pleased when undoubtedly we have a number 75 or 92 etc as some tribute to the clubs history.   

10 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

I'm getting used to names and squad numbers.    Must admit I want be pleased when undoubtedly we have a number 75 or 92 etc as some tribute to the clubs history.   

Interesting point and does anyone have our sole cup win 24 at present? I can't remember from last season. Was it Scott McGill?

56 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I actually don't think anyone currently signed has got 20 or more goals in them, what I do think we have though is easily 4 or 5 players capable of getting between 10 and 20 this season (Gal, Gabby, Smith, Salim, maybe Frizz). Sometimes I reckon that is better than a team with an "all the eggs in one basket" type striker.

We won't create the number of chances we made yesterday, that's when we need that poacher type striker gets only one chance and takes it. 

Looks like Josh Jack who was a trialist at the Colts game last week (no 10)  has signed for Forfar.  Looked a decent prospect but probably an area we are strong enough in if we can get Telfer over the line and use the wages elsewhere. 
I think Telfer would add experience to the midfield, although McMaster and Devenney look very talented, I think Telfer would add an extra bit of quality in there too. Adding a couple of experienced players and using the loan market well we would be in an extremely strong position.

Good to have the academy team finally confirmed. And great to have Gowser back involved with the club! I’m not entirely convinced about the need for an academy. It’s only really worth it if you make money from selling prospects or produce first team quality players. Both of which, unless we get lucky with the current crop, won’t happen for a few years yet, if ever. But, I can always get behind the theory (at least) of bringing through young, local talent to play in the first team. So best of luck to Gow and the young men currently involved. And if Gow is putting his own money(?) behind it then fair enough still. He’s a made man after all. 

18 hours ago, Mr November said:

One person did say that to be fair, was just having a joke about it! I haven’t seen it back yet but your assessment of him sounds pretty accurate, he’s a good keeper and I’d have been happy enough to keep him but definitely some obvious areas he can improve on. 

Good to finally have the Alan Gow youth team confirmed. As @ShineOnYouCrazyDiamondssays, it would be nice to see three or four of them on the bench on Tuesday to pad out the squad and maybe even get some game time.

Is the development scheme not funded and for 11 year old to 17  year old if so it would be a long time till any of them were on the bench, 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Is the development scheme not funded and for 11 year old to 17  year old if so it would be a long time till any of them were on the bench, 

I thought this year was just an under 18s team? Chances are none of them will be ready to compete regularly but if its some of the guys who played against Cumbernauld Colts then they’d be fine sitting on the bench for these cup games.

I see yer man Afolabi is on trial at Portsmouth and seems to be getting a deal there. Having Southampton and Celtic on your CV always helps but that’s some move for a guy who was mostly rubbish for us. Fair play to him, certainly wish him all the best for his antics in the play-offs alone.

Will Gow be registered as a player? One of my first footballing heroes [emoji3590][emoji3532]
BCAD915D-AA20-4B40-80B4-EBFEB5CA26F3.jpeg.e51259eccb4d1b544121bec01712c6e5.jpeg
DE4B63C8-B165-4ED0-B8B7-D72655BAF03B.jpeg.9d4ca259c3641bab6be58253d5746f36.jpeg
As I'm only in my mid twenties, that goal against Hamilton and winning the league at home to Morton were my earliest memories as an Airdrie fan. That 2003/2004 team were brilliant. Gow, McLaren, Oweny, Stephen Doherty. So many of my favourite Airdrie players in that one photo in the celebrations [emoji3532]

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

I thought this year was just an under 18s team? Chances are none of them will be ready to compete regularly but if its some of the guys who played against Cumbernauld Colts then they’d be fine sitting on the bench for these cup games.

I see yer man Afolabi is on trial at Portsmouth and seems to be getting a deal there. Having Southampton and Celtic on your CV always helps but that’s some move for a guy who was mostly rubbish for us. Fair play to him, certainly wish him all the best for his antics in the play-offs alone.

Afolabi, felt the manager used him wrong in playoff second game. Although he did trouble their  defence, coming on seemed a stronger option, in the past I know, just a opinion, very very one footed, 

9 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Afolabi, felt the manager used him wrong in playoff second game. Although he did trouble their  defence, coming on seemed a stronger option, in the past I know, just a opinion, very very one footed, 

Looked totally disinterested and only showed some urgency when the play offs arrived and looked decent.  He did seem to make an impact when coming on but I thought taking him off in the play off final was the wrong decision as he looked fresher than most.

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Looked totally disinterested and only showed some urgency when the play offs arrived and looked decent.  He did seem to make an impact when coming on but I thought taking him off in the play off final was the wrong decision as he looked fresher than most.

Agree with that, yes he looked as likely as anyone to score, we just needed some of the scoring touch we had   v   Montrose, have faith in manager he will know fine we need a striker and bring one in on loan. 

On 08/07/2022 at 13:36, CapitalDiamond said:

Finally caught up tonight listening to the guys( with the England women game on background mute as they thump Norway) . Great to hear how the season looks for us and made me laugh at the trialists section on Pilvi etc. Can't remember MacAvennie as one so will need to research. We also behad been talking about Sissoko on way to Cowdenbeath.  Tougher game tomorrow.