The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

You’d think they could even auction or raffle off the match worn ones. Would generate a fair amount of interest and could give the proceeds to St Andrew’s Hospice or another local charity/organisation. Not as if the strips are going to be used for anything else. 

I asked the question about sponsoring a players temporary 4th kit with a view to getting it at the end of the season. I've been told that we can't do that as the kits will be kept should a similar issue arise at the start of next season. So the only option(s) are 

1. Break in and steal them.

2. Attack a player and rob them of the jersey after a match 

3. Find out who does the washing and where they hang them up to dry then blag it off the washing line.

I'm fine with all of these options.

Or just buy the standard jersey from Umbro and have the badge embroidered on to it.  

26 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Unable to make the trip to Cowdenbeath today, is there a stream? I haven’t seen anything about one

No, there isn’t one today, Cowden did one all last season and it was pretty good, but certainly no news about a stream today.

17 minutes ago, G_H said:

Sorry, but starting the season with 2 subs on the bench is frankly appalling. 

Would you rather we hung onto dross like Ritchie to fill the bench then? There's longer until the league starts than we've actually been back training for the season ahead. So I'm not fussed if we are waiting to sign better quality players. 

Also, the League Cup set up is a joke. Starts far too early IMO. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

This bench situation isn’t ideal but if Rhys is close to getting 2-3 players that he really wants then I’d rather hold out and get them rather than fill the bench with bodies. Obviously hoping we don’t have injuries out there today but these guys are fit and should make it through the match ok and being brutally honest, I don’t really care about this cup competition. It’s more about getting the team ready for the upcoming season. Everyone will get a chance to show what they can do which is a plus. Maybe we’ll see some magic from a couple of the newer players today. Will be an interesting 90 minutes

Would you rather we hung onto dross like Ritchie to fill the bench then? There's longer until the league season starts than we've currently been back training. So I'm not fussed if we are waiting to sign better quality players. 

Would be fine if teams were allowed to play trialists in the group stage, but as it is it’s definitely too early to expect teams to have a full squad.

There definitely were players from last season we could’ve had that would be decent enough and give us numbers (like Kerr) but the majority of the players released we should be able to improve on. Disappointing we haven’t brought more in yet but if it means a stronger squad come the league starting then it’s fine.

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Would you rather we hung onto dross like Ritchie to fill the bench then? There's longer until the league starts than we've actually been back training for the season ahead. So I'm not fussed if we are waiting to sign better quality players. 

If we weren't going to replace them with anything better (or seemingly anything at all) then its a valid discussion.

25 minutes ago, G_H said:

I agree here. I get the argument of being close to another couple of signings and wanting quality over quantity, which is absolutely relevant. But two subs for the first competitive game looks amateur hour.

People appear to forget we started the league terribly last season due to similar circumstances. If we had started with a full compliment of a team we would have won the league

Ii challenge you whether Wilson, Kerr etc were any worse than these kids that are in today’s line up

17 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Everyone was well aware of.

That apart, i really hope the players who have still to come in are worth the wait and will define our chances this season. We have 5 newbies in our starting 11 today, 3 of them have done nothing to date other than show some potential.

I agree here. I get the argument of being close to another couple of signings and wanting quality over quantity, which is absolutely relevant. But two subs for the first competitive game looks amateur hour.

It doesn’t look great on paper but with every club struggling and the early start to the competition this was our worst fear. If we were starting a game without a keeper, that would be a worry. I wouldn’t call it amateur hour. Fairly sure there was offers to at least a couple of players including Telfer but if they don’t want to sign there’s little the management team can do about it. I’m sure the plan was to have at least 3-4 on the bench today

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Probably just covering their back with the all the quitongo brothers pish last season,  in saying that has the tribunal finished yet, not heard anything either way, would we or should we hear the outcome though ...

Case is still on going. I know others who have to appear in August. 

JFK will be settled before this. 🤔