The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

It can be done to sign players Queens have signed 9 but all about how  good they are we are about to find that out .

Time will tell if  it is better to wait in the hope quality players become availble. 

Aye absolutely,  but the difference there is they needed a full rebuild where we retained 90 % of our first team. I'm just hoping we don't end up with another pyott or ritchie who contribute little but still cost us cash every week 

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I know we can't play trialists in league Cup games, but what happens if we make no signings between now and Saturday? Would we need to forfeit the game?

Some of the youth players who have been involved recently are perhaps eligble to play (according to Benburb Cole Gibson has signed a pro contract) or fill the bench. This would be the preferred option rather than panic signings and I'm positive there will be no forfeit.

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Some of the youth players who have been involved recently are perhaps eligble to play (according to Benburb Cole Gibson has signed a pro contract) or fill the bench. This would be the preferred option rather than panic signings and I'm positive there will be no forfeit.

I would be more concerned of a forfeit if we cannot get 2 UEFA B qualified coaches for the Technical area this is Part of the SFA Club Licensing guidelines and the reason the Willie Aitchison situation came about,  this is nothing new and a very basic requirement,  as far as I am aware we have no UEFA B qualified coaches at the club.......   Could this be put down as a developing situation......  If I am wrong feel free to shoot me down...

The strange thing about Cole Gibson though, Benburb said he had signed a pro contract before the Cumbernauld Colts game, yet he was listed as a trialist on Sunday. Not saying we should be panic buying/signing, but I think we need a couple of bodies in for Saturday.

I know we should try and remain positive and certainly we can be pleased with the players we have signed so far but it's getting a bit squeaky bum time when you only have 11 outfield players signed up (10 of whom are fit) and two days until your first competitive game of the season.   I was optimistic when we appointed McCabe as wanted to see a continuation from last year - the downside of a young appointment is that it may put off more established players from joining us given he is such an unknown quantity.    We are far from being alone in this but I do worry we have missed out on some key targets (or players who maybe should have been targets - Keiran MacDonald perhaps not everyone's fav but would have been a well established Championship player filling a clear void in our squad and willing to play part-time and another who I would have liked, Michael Doyle has gone to Hamilton).  I don't want us to just fill the squad with fillers - which is what last weekends trialists in the main appear to be, but we are way short of being ready for this season.  Yes last year we had only about 16 at this stage - still better than this season and should remember last season we were largely lucky with injuries to only one or two players at any one time - if we had 3/4 out we would have seriously struggled last year.  Last year we nailed our key targets early.   It feels like it has been a frustrating summer for us with perhaps only Rae & Ballantyne being the key targets we succeeded in signing.  I wonder who else we wanted but never got near to attracting.

Really hoping for 2-3 signings today or tomorrow and not just young lads - we need a quality central defender,  quality left back and quality creative midfielder - beyond that ok with loans and squad fillers. 

Euan Deveney then. We do need a left back but from what people have said about him in the friendlies we're probably still stronger playing Ballantyne there and Watson on the right. Happy to give him a chance though, it seems like his loans at Clyde and Falkirk didn't work but he wouldn't be the first player to struggle there. 

Given it's not a particularly common name anyway, I can't wait for all the Deveney/Devenny confusion this season.

Edited by Mr November

1 minute ago, G_H said:

So, a guy who couldn't get a game at Clyde or Falkirk. Good for him I guess, but not a signing that sets my world on fire.

Obviously McCabe see's some potential in the guy but he's got everything to prove and still young enough.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I would be more concerned of a forfeit if we cannot get 2 UEFA B qualified coaches for the Technical area this is Part of the SFA Club Licensing guidelines and the reason the Willie Aitchison situation came about,  this is nothing new and a very basic requirement,  as far as I am aware we have no UEFA B qualified coaches at the club.......   Could this be put down as a developing situation......  If I am wrong feel free to shoot me down...

This would be catastrophic if that were the case and would be gross incompetence therefore i would be positive we have something in place, even a temporary arrangement.

Needed a left back and signed a left back. He’s only 19 so previous loans being unsuccessful doesn’t necessarily mean much (McInroy had unsuccessful loans before joining us and turned out to be brilliant). I wasn’t particularly impressed with him when watching the Stirling Albion game but very hard to judge a player based on one performance in a friendly match, and more time to settle into the team could do him a world of good, especially as such a young player. Happy to give him a chance and happy we’ve signed somebody.

Needed a left back and signed a left back. He’s only 19 so previous loans being unsuccessful doesn’t necessarily mean much (McInroy had unsuccessful loans before joining us and turned out to be brilliant). I wasn’t particularly impressed with him when watching the Stirling Albion game but very hard to judge a player based on one performance in a friendly match, and more time to settle into the team could do him a world of good, especially as such a young player. Happy to give him a chance and happy we’ve signed somebody.
Might go Cammy B at left back and Watson at right back.