The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Interesting article on player recruitment.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62030282

Interesting article. Peterhead in a bit of a state it seems and their Aberdeen game could be embarrassing unless JM can do some good business this week. But overall there is a lot of change in the bowels of Scottish football. Ambitious new owners who understand that a moderate amount of investment can see a jump up 2-3 leagues. Fully expecting to see us lose 4-5 teams over the next decade and some of these other clubs coming in. For us, we can’t be allowed to be priced out of a decent L1 player. Now, more than ever, money will play a huge part in securing our future. Of course our geography helps and being so close to Glasgow and suburbs is a major advantage. Keep buying season tickets, lottery etc and put our trust in the BOD.

Hoping to see a pen this afternoon…. Anyone in the know?

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

Interesting article. Peterhead in a bit of a state it seems and their Aberdeen game could be embarrassing unless JM can do some good business this week. But overall there is a lot of change in the bowels of Scottish football. Ambitious new owners who understand that a moderate amount of investment can see a jump up 2-3 leagues. Fully expecting to see us lose 4-5 teams over the next decade and some of these other clubs coming in. For us, we can’t be allowed to be priced out of a decent L1 player. Now, more than ever, money will play a huge part in securing our future. Of course our geography helps and being so close to Glasgow and suburbs is a major advantage. Keep buying season tickets, lottery etc and put our trust in the BOD.

Hoping to see a pen this afternoon…. Anyone in the know?

Read that this morning,  even Hamilton struggling to bring in anyone new. 

Hopefully the pens out ASAP for Telfer and the wee number 7. But expect the cameras might be out tomorrow when everyone's at training. Assuming it's still Tuesday nights that everyone is in. 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Interesting article on player recruitment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62030282

Have occasionally wondered if it might be financially beneficial for scottish clubs to go play in the english pyramid. Has to be more interesting than playing the same team 4-10 times per season at least.

Edited by G_H

Brody signs for Hartlepool. Mass emigration act of 2022 conducted by Paul Hartley it seems.

Would have had some suitors in L1 and above maybe. Murray had him on trial or training with Raith I heard.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

49 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Brody signs for Hartlepool. Mass emigration act of 2022 conducted by Paul Hartley it seems.

Would have had some suitors in L1 and above maybe. Murray had him on trial or training with Raith I heard.

Scored in a friendly for Raith against Dunbar a couple of weeks back, David.

The lure of Monkey Hanger money too strong it seems. More to follow, perhaps?

Edited by diamondman

18 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Scored in a friendly against Dunbar a couple of weeks back, David.

The lure of Monkey Hanger money too strong it seems. More to follow, perhaps?

Definitely seems like Hartlepool have a competitive budget to at least that of top Championship sides, probably even higher. Thought Brody was a shoe-in for Murray's Raith.

I'd also guess he'll try for a few others; if not permanently then via loans. Hopefully doesn't coming knocking on our door.

56 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah he was training with Raith and played in their first couple of friendlies. He didn’t feature in the last couple and I thought we might have a chance of getting him if Raith weren’t keen but someone on their thread mentioned he had some offers from down south, which makes sense with the Hartlepool move. Interesting to see how Hartlepool get on this season, it’s always hard to make comparisons between the leagues in terms of quality. I didn’t realise Jake Hastie was there too. 

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah he was training with Raith and played in their first couple of friendlies. He didn’t feature in the last couple and I thought we might have a chance of getting him if Raith weren’t keen but someone on their thread mentioned he had some offers from down south, which makes sense with the Hartlepool move. Interesting to see how Hartlepool get on this season, it’s always hard to make comparisons between the leagues in terms of quality. I didn’t realise Jake Hastie was there too. 

Jack had all but signed on the dotted line for us 2 weeks ago and went to Hartlepool at the 11th hour. Doesn't worry me but he would have been a better option from the bench than what we have at the moment 

Paterson did pretty well for us but wouldn't say he was anything special. I thought his game was largely based on his athleticism and that he didn't actually have much to offer technically and wasn't great defensively, often relying on his pace to get him out of trouble. Pretty surprised by that move, I'd presume the top end of English League 2 is a much higher standard than Scottish League 1 so I'm not sure how well he will cope. Best of luck to him though.

Hartley seems to be making a lot of pretty poor signings to be honest, I'll be surprised if he lasts the season.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

It’s like his Falkirk reign in reverse where he took a load of folk from the lower leagues in England, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

It’s like his Falkirk reign in reverse where he took a load of folk from the lower leagues in England, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

It definitely is. He'll be banking on his knowledge of the Scottish market being better than that of lower English leagues.

It definitely is. He'll be banking on his knowledge of the Scottish market being better than that of lower English leagues.

They are good players but it will be interesting to see if they handle the step up, the schedule in the lower leagues is relentless too with the amount of games in the season.

It has shades of Middlesborough under Strachan with the amount he’s taking at the moment. Hope he does well though.

I’ve had a good feeling all day that the pen will be put tonight!

I have a feeling too, but I’m not wanting to tempt fate! Tonight makes sense since everyone including the part time players is in on a Tuesday night. The match preview interviews last season were always filmed on a Tuesday night as well so it’s maybe the most convenient night for our media channels as well.

I would say that we need four or five before Saturday’s match though. At the moment all we have is 11, plus Hutton and an injured Salim. We need a few just to have players on the bench.

9 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I have a feeling too, but I’m not wanting to tempt fate! Tonight makes sense since everyone including the part time players is in on a Tuesday night. The match preview interviews last season were always filmed on a Tuesday night as well so it’s maybe the most convenient night for our media channels as well.

I would say that we need four or five before Saturday’s match though. At the moment all we have is 11, plus Hutton and an injured Salim. We need a few just to have players on the bench.

I would expect some business this week but hope we don't just sign for the sake of a League cup game against Cowdenbeath. Benburb announced that Cole Gibson had signed a pro contract so perhaps him and maybe others could be part of the squad on Saturday.

I would expect some business this week but hope we don't just sign for the sake of a League cup game against Cowdenbeath. Benburb announced that Cole Gibson had signed a pro contract so perhaps him and maybe others could be part of the squad on Saturday.

Forgot about that Gibson “announcement”. Strange considering that tweet was five days ago and we’ve still heard nothing from the club. Was Gibson one of the trialists at the weekend? Agree to an extent we shouldn’t rush signings for the sake of Saturday’s game but I don’t like the idea of not having subs available in case a player takes a knock, especially considering there’s another game the Tuesday so only a couple of days for a rest after.

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Forgot about that Gibson “announcement”. Strange considering that tweet was five days ago and we’ve still heard nothing from the club. Was Gibson one of the trialists at the weekend? Agree to an extent we shouldn’t rush signings for the sake of Saturday’s game but I don’t like the idea of not having subs available in case a player takes a knock, especially considering there’s another game the Tuesday so only a couple of days for a rest after.

I'm thinking that he and others maybe part of the new youth set up. I don't see why the club can't clarify this or perhaps it doesn't exist!

23 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think you need at least 13 players available for the game to go ahead don't you? I think we'll hear something this week anyway even if it is just a few young guys. I think the club know people would be disappointed if the pen got whipped out for us to just announce Cole Gibson so I've been expecting him and a few other young players to come as part of a bigger announcement about the development team being back.