The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

13 hours ago, Elgindiamond said:

The 1961 game was my first visit to Hampden, with my Father who had been at the 1955 game. Seats in the old North Stand and a hammering from Celtic. Not Lawrie Leslie's finest 90 minutes.

The run to the semi final was brilliant with wins away to Motherwell and Ayr. I believe the attendance at Fir Park was 19,000.

Noticed that 1961 also had 2 games against Elgin in earlier round. I guess you only moved there much later but it's a ground I've never visited so let's have another Scottish cup tie there! I think Elgin are the only  ex HL side to have been stuck in L2?

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Ruiz-Diaz wiki page, link below, looks half decent. Not that you can take too much from it but if it's the right guy, he's a striker and has a decent goals per game return, including for Australia U20's. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Ruiz-Diaz

Hopefully see more of him today. 

Was also playing with Queen’s Park last year in the Glasgow cup and wasn’t rated at all

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Was also playing with Queen’s Park last year in the Glasgow cup and wasn’t rated at all

Queens Park were a stuffy side last season, not much in the way of attacking flair and maybe the style of play didn't suit him. 

If he gets any game time with us in pre season matches then let  McCabe decide if he's any good for us. McCabe and Frizzell weren't exactly rated when they arrived either. Kerr McInroy was slaughtered by Pars fans I think and he managed to do us a turn. 

If it turns out the boy is pish then so be it but no point in pre judging one way or the other at the moment.

19 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Seemed to be mostly on the bench for Clyde during his loan spell last season so the signs don't look good.

TBH he never really got a look in, and if was half decent he would have got a game as we were pretty shite.

Be surprised if you signed him, however will probably end up making me eat my words !

11 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Not recognizing many of the trialists… if anyone can help me out….. can identify some from previous posts

Ruiz Diaz appears to be No.7 and we should get him off and signed now. Combining well with other players and strong on the ball. This post will undoubtedly come back to haunt me but he's looking really good just now. Even if it is a lowland league side.

Still working on identifying the others. 10, 8, 12 and 15

No. 3 is Deveney, 5 is Jones and I imagine the keeper is the boy mentioned above.

2 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Ruiz Diaz appears to be No.7 and we should get him off and signed now. Combining well with other players and strong on the ball. This post will undoubtedly come back to haunt me but he's looking really good just now. Even if it is a lowland league side.

Still working on identifying the others. 10, 8, 12 and 15

No. 3 is Deveney, 5 is Jones and I imagine the keeper is the boy mentioned above.

No.10 is Josh Jack.

On 29/06/2022 at 11:20, GoalForAirdrie said:

I’m now imagining pre season training like the training scenes in The Longest Yard with all these unknown trialists 😂

898BFFCF-1048-489C-876B-DA81E515F2B5.gif

And The Longest Yard ended in victory for the team! NL Cup champions 🏆 #MeanMachine 

Edited by GoalForAirdrie

Can’t argue too much after this run out for the team. Firstly, winning the cup was great - honestly don’t care about this silverware but if it gives the lads a feel good factor… McCabe has managed to see the trialists in action (8 in the starting lineup) and I’m sure he’ll now have 3 categories . Those he signs asap, those who are offski and some getting another shot very soon. For me, there has been a couple of good players in Telfer and the young Australian boy. Not everyone is going to get a first team place so some will be squad players. The team looks fit, focused and I’m sure the continuity from last season will help. Pretty sure we’ll see a pen or two in the first half of the week. Productive weekend