The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Comfortable win and display. Once we worked out the trialists and loan numbers , it made it easier to assess. The early goal by Frizzel meant a relaxed possession game even if it was a bit slow. 

Stirling never offered much but it was good to get the second. Great shot by McGill and at least his two goals count this time. Telfer does look like worthy of an offer. Solid football skills from the starting eleven so it's a positive start from my observations.

Hope there’s a deal on the table for Telfer sure he won’t be short of options as mentioned above his stats speak for themselves in a poor Falkirk side.

Frizz might flourish without Easton. Hopefully he gets more freedom like today.

Only a friendly, but all in all a good start. ♦️

Good work out. High tempo demanded by McCaBe,    Josh Rae is a unit don't remember him playing before, steady although nothing to do... As already stated midfield 3 of McMaster,  Frizz and Telfer were excellent,   only a pre season tournament, fu lly expect to lose to the Colts now.

Strling were very poor all round with the sad sight of an Airdrie favourite Dale Carrick looking completely shot... 

Very happy that we never looked nervy admittedly against an ordinary Stirling where only an occasional attack got going. Once we knew who was in what number, it became possible to make some positive views on Telfer and McMaster. Good to see Gabby getting two goals which counted at Broadwood and his first was a belter. Once again maybe we over played without shooting so Frizzel goal was a bonus.Given this pre season nature of games then pleased enough. Back tomorrow for further looks at so many trialists.

10 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

How many Scottish Cup Semi-Finals have Airdrie played?

Was just looking up the 1971 Semi against Celtic and seen we'd also played them in the Semi-Finals in 1955 and 1961, which I didn't know. 

Obviously the 4 times we made the Final in 1924, 1975, 1992 and 1995. 

Any other Scottish Cups Semis?

1955 Semi Final footage some quality commentary 👌

Will look at JH book for 1961 but I don't think I was at it. The 1955 one is the fastest goal one from KO by John Reid?

The 1961 game was my first visit to Hampden, with my Father who had been at the 1955 game. Seats in the old North Stand and a hammering from Celtic. Not Lawrie Leslie's finest 90 minutes.

The run to the semi final was brilliant with wins away to Motherwell and Ayr. I believe the attendance at Fir Park was 19,000.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Very happy that we never looked nervy admittedly against an ordinary Stirling where only an occasional attack got going. Once we knew who was in what number, it became possible to make some positive views on Telfer and McMaster. Good to see Gabby getting two goals which counted at Broadwood and his first was a belter. Once again maybe we over played without shooting so Frizzel goal was a bonus.Given this pre season nature of games then pleased enough. Back tomorrow for further looks at so many trialists.

Pretty fair summary. Comfortable for what may be a fair portion of the first team this season...depending on signings to come.

Not too much for Rae to do but made a couple of decent saves and great to have a keeper who is big, vocal and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Ballantyne is a great signing. Obvious straight away today.

No.8 (Telfer I hear) looks like he could do a good job for us and pleased with Devenney also. 

Looking forward to tomorrow. Think we might get a chance to see who we've got as back up or maybe challenging for a start.

I’d be delighted if we signed Telfer. He’s a different player to Easton but he’s probably as good a replacement as we’ll realistically get and I’d be interested to see what he could do in a better/more footballing midfield. I don’t have them to hand but I’m sure his ‘numbers’ were good for what was a ganting Falkirk team. Plus it will be funny when he runs the show at the Falkirk Stadium. Hope he signed a contract after the game as this is not an opportunity we want to miss. 

The left-back was Euan Deveney. I haven’t seen the boy play before but he barely featured (if at all?) for Falkirk or Clyde in two different loan spells which isn’t the most encouraging sign. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a player in there though. Ideally I’d like a better option in there but whoever it is I hope we sign somebody as it’d be a waste to play the league’s best right-back at left-back. 

Only other names I’ve heard are Josh Jack (12) and Dylan Ruiz-Diaz (7). I wasn’t there so  can’t comment on their performance today (or for their career’s at all) but I suppose either might be worth a punt as cheap forward/wide option in the squad if they’ve shown up well. 

12 minutes ago, Elgindiamond said:

The 1961 game was my first visit to Hampden, with my Father who had been at the 1955 game. Seats in the old North Stand and a hammering from Celtic. Not Lawrie Leslie's finest 90 minutes.

The run to the semi final was brilliant with wins away to Motherwell and Ayr. I believe the attendance at Fir Park was 19,000.

I agree and I had to check the book so like you I was there somewhere. I remember Jim Sharkey appearing in the paper earlier in the week with a city gent bowler hat. He might have been a Celtic reserve before joining us. According to the book we had a special double diamond new strip. Obviously humped in first half . The other semi I kinda remember was a 3-3 draw against Celtic but that might have been League cup later in 60s! Memories indeed 

Came across a highlights video for Dylan Ruiz-Diaz. A lot of the clips the pitch is very wet so it ticks the 'can I do it on a wet Xmas eve at Montrose box'. He looks very positive, can beat a mean but also track back and put a good challenge in. His goal from the half way line was pretty special. If he's playing today, look forward to seeing what he can do

Came across a highlights video for Dylan Ruiz-Diaz. A lot of the clips the pitch is very wet so it ticks the 'can I do it on a wet Xmas eve at Montrose box'. He looks very positive, can beat a mean but also track back and put a good challenge in. His goal from the half way line was pretty special. If he's playing today, look forward to seeing what he can dom

Everything about this potential signing is Griffin Sabatini 2.0

13 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Came across a highlights video for Dylan Ruiz-Diaz. A lot of the clips the pitch is very wet so it ticks the 'can I do it on a wet Xmas eve at Montrose box'. He looks very positive, can beat a mean but also track back and put a good challenge in. His goal from the half way line was pretty special. If he's playing today, look forward to seeing what he can dom

I love him already.

EDIT: I have now googled Dylan and see he has the same agent as Jacob Esposito. I am no longer in love.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Came across a highlights video for Dylan Ruiz-Diaz. A lot of the clips the pitch is very wet so it ticks the 'can I do it on a wet Xmas eve at Montrose box'. He looks very positive, can beat a mean but also track back and put a good challenge in. His goal from the half way line was pretty special. If he's playing today, look forward to seeing what he can do

He played for the Australia U23s and a few games in the A-League so he might be worth a punt. Seemed to disappear after Covid. 

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I love him already.

EDIT: I have now googled Dylan and see he has the same agent as Jacob Esposito. I am no longer in love.

Esposito was one of Iain King’s or EWB’s inspired signings wasn’t it? 😂 Deary me. Esposito, Marc Warren, Frankie Lagana and Simon Storey. Our track record with Aussies isn’t exactly stellar! 

Esposito was one of Iain King’s or EWB’s inspired signings wasn’t it? [emoji23] Deary me. Esposito, Marc Warren, Frankie Lagana and Simon Storey. Our track record with Aussies isn’t exactly stellar! 
Marc Warren played in the same team as Del Piero I'm sure [emoji23]

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A player having a highlights 'Goals and assists' type video on YouTube is almost always a sign that they are a total diddy. The very existence of that video worries me if we are to sign him.

Not sure what you’re talking about, Ricky Waddell had one…