The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Number 8 is Charlie Telfer

Is he not absolutely gash? Or am I thinking of another of Falkirk's team of shame from last season? They all blur together for me.

Edited by cb_diamond

8 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Is he not absolutely gash? Or am I thinking of another of Falkirk's team of shame from last season? They all blur together for me.

He's one of the few players from last season that a lot of their support wanted to keep. 

We're never going to replace Easton like for like but I think Telfer would be a great signing. His output in a rubbish Falkirk team last season was actually decent and he would fit into the style of play we seem to be going for again. A midfield three of McCabe, Frizzell and Telfer would lack a bit of physicality but we got away with that last season through dominating the ball. That might be trickier this season but it would certainly be a good base to build from. 

Did anyone recognize any of the other trialists?

Looked up Telfer - appears to know McCabe from Rangers youth academy. Makes sense and I would be happy with him in midfield. Falkirk were a shambles last year but as mentioned and as far as I remember, he wasn’t one picked out for criticism too much. I always rated him as a decent player when I saw him

Thought that was fairly enjoyable for a pre season game, pretty much dominated the full game and knocked the ball around really well. McCabe must actually enjoy playing centre half as that's where he was playing. Other than Charlie Telfer, unfortunately I didn't recognise any of the other trialists. As McCabe is that vocal, our trialist at left back was someone called Euan, but that's all I got.@airdrieman unfortunately didn't get to see 'Ose' on the pitch today, but he was there on the bench.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

We're never going to replace Easton like for like but I think Telfer would be a great signing. His output in a rubbish Falkirk team last season was actually decent and he would fit into the style of play we seem to be going for again. A midfield three of McCabe, Frizzell and Telfer would lack a bit of physicality but we got away with that last season through dominating the ball. That might be trickier this season but it would certainly be a good base to build from. 

I wouldn't be concerned about physicality in midfield with those 3. Frizzell and McCabe can more than look after themselves. As you say certainly no less physicality than the 3 of Agnew, Frizzell and Easton last season which was never an issue.

It's complete guesswork but I do think Telfer is the type of player who would have done well for us last season - playing on the front foot and having lots of the ball. Any creative player in that Falkirk team would have struggled, although he'd still have to take his share of responsibility. If we're planning on playing a similar style this season I'd be happy with him signing - a bit like McCabe in that he's someone who has played at a higher level and clearly has the ability if you can find a way to get it out of him. He's still young enough that a couple of good seasons with us and he could get himself back up the leagues.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Telfer looked good. Frizzell played with the freedom Easton played with last season. Rae didn’t have too much to do but his kicking seems a massive improvement on what we’ve had recently.

It was discussed a wee while back but I'd definitely be interested to see Frizzell playing a bit further forward this season. His goals return last year wasn't great but that was mainly due to having to play a bit deeper due to Easton. I think he'd be a real threat playing off the striker.

It was discussed a wee while back but I'd definitely be interested to see Frizzell playing a bit further forward this season. His goals return last year wasn't great but that was mainly due to having to play a bit deeper due to Easton. I think he'd be a real threat playing off the striker.

He actually finished the game as the deepest midfielder, though that was maybe to conserve some energy before tomorrow’s game. Looked like everything was intended to go through him, with him dropping deep to collect the ball and start most of our attacks, much like Easton did last season. I think he will get a better return this season if he plays that role. One goal and one assist at least today, and while I can’t remember perfectly I think it might have been him that put the ball into the box for the third goal as well.

Another Rangers academy product. Did he play well today?
I thought he was just okay, he got himself forward quite a lot. But his crossing wasn't the best. I think Telfer will probably be the only trialist that will get offered a deal. The boy from St Mirren played really well.

22 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

McMaster’s taken number 14, so presumably 8 is still being held for someone expected to be more involved in the first team than him

As stated elsewhere Charlie Telfer had the number 8 today and looked pretty decent in the midfield. The young boy McMaster did the holding role behind Telfer, and did it very well, but also got forward to support.

45 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Did anyone recognize any of the other trialists?

Looked up Telfer - appears to know McCabe from Rangers youth academy. Makes sense and I would be happy with him in midfield. Falkirk were a shambles last year but as mentioned and as far as I remember, he wasn’t one picked out for criticism too much. I always rated him as a decent player when I saw him

Again as stated elsewhere the No.3 was Euan Deveney and he looked reasonable. No scary moments but wasn't tested too much on that side.  When he went off Ballantyne moved over to LB which may be our intention once Watson is back from his holidays.

21 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

As stated elsewhere Charlie Telfer had the number 8 today and looked pretty decent in the midfield. The young boy McMaster did the holding role behind Telfer, and did it very well, but also got forward to support.

Again as stated elsewhere the No.3 was Euan Deveney and he looked reasonable. No scary moments but wasn't tested too much on that side.  When he went off Ballantyne moved over to LB which may be our intention once Watson is back from his holidays.

Wish we could find a way to have cammy and watson on the right hand side. Thought cammy look impressive,  albeit in what was a training match. 

30 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I wasn’t that impressed with him but I also wasn’t impressed with Gabby McGill as a trialist this time last season and I’d say he went on to prove me wrong.

Seemed to be mostly on the bench for Clyde during his loan spell last season so the signs don't look good.