The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

I see someone saying on the Montrose thread Liam Fontaine won't be signing for them as he is going to another League 1 team. I'd like for us to go for him, Broadfoot or similar to give us a bit of experience in the team.

Going to Fc Edinburgh apparently. 
Weird writing that. 

3 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Jackie McNamara

That was also a name I'd heard that links the players we're after.  Couldn't tell you any names or anything but just that J Mc was involved.

Apparently a couple from down south lined up aswell to get over the line hopefully this week.

2 hours ago, Preston Diamond said:

Busby and Jarvie. If we had half of that talent up front this season the league would be in our pocket.

Aye, by Christmas, great player what a partnership with Jarvie, wish our young fans could have seen them play, a lot of happy memories watching Busby RiP, condolences to family, 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That was also a name I'd heard that links the players we're after.  Couldn't tell you any names or anything but just that J Mc was involved.

Apparently a couple from down south lined up aswell to get over the line hopefully this week.

I was looking at who else is with his agency and I saw Kyle Turner mentioned. He’s still under contract but make it happen. Turner and Okosun would win the league.

I was looking at who else is with his agency and I saw Kyle Turner mentioned. He’s still under contract but make it happen. Turner and Okosun would win the league.

I know most of the Turner stuff has been a bit of tongue and cheek but given he was modelling Thistle’s Kingsley kit the other day I can’t imagine they’ll be trying to move him on. Although I think if we mention his name in every transfer window it might happen eventually, like it did with Andy Ryan.

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I know most of the Turner stuff has been a bit of tongue and cheek but given he was modelling Thistle’s Kingsley kit the other day I can’t imagine they’ll be trying to move him on. Although I think if we mention his name in every transfer window it might happen eventually, like it did with Andy Ryan.

Oh definitely, for all he was played out of position there last season he was still a regular and even if they wanted rid of him, I’m sure there would be plenty of other clubs ahead of us in the queue. Not to worry, I’m sure big Bright’s Eto’o-esque finishing will be more than enough.

Oh definitely, for all he was played out of position there last season he was still a regular and even if they wanted rid of him, I’m sure there would be plenty of other clubs ahead of us in the queue. Not to worry, I’m sure big Bright’s Eto’o-esque finishing will be more than enough.

I think he actually finished the season as assist leader for the league as well, which isn’t bad considering he was played out of position for a team that only just made the playoffs

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think contracts down south only expired today so that might be a reason for any delays/slow news. 

On 30/06/2022 at 20:45, cb_diamond said:

While im by no means a handwringer the lack of info out of the club is quite annoying. Strips, season tickets info initially, signings, youth set ups. Just disjointed bits and bobs or radio silence.

Agreed! 

Aye, by Christmas, great player what a partnership with Jarvie, wish our young fans could have seen them play, a lot of happy memories watching Busby RiP, condolences to family, 

Never got to see him play but been in a few pub conversations where the older guys (sorry) frequently bring his name up. Definitely one of our greatest it seems, sad to lose him.

20 hours ago, Preston Diamond said:

Busby and Jarvie. If we had half of that talent up front this season the league would be in our pocket.

Aye, sad to hear of Busby's passing, great player and had a spell at Queens at the end of his career.

As you say, Busby and Jarvie ... you could maybe add Derek Whiteford to that list too - same time frame, not sure, memory is failing me there.

49 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, sad to hear of Busby's passing, great player and had a spell at Queens at the end of his career.

As you say, Busby and Jarvie ... you could maybe add Derek Whiteford to that list too - same time frame, not sure, memory is failing me there.

Yeah the 3 of them were part of the Airdrie team that made the Texaco Cup final against Derby County. Beating the likes of Man City and Huddersfield. 

Also the Scottish Cup Semi Final. Drawing 3-3 with Celtic. Losing the replay 2-0. 

Wish I was about to have seen that team play.

How many Scottish Cup Semi-Finals have Airdrie played?

Was just looking up the 1971 Semi against Celtic and seen we'd also played them in the Semi-Finals in 1955 and 1961, which I didn't know. 

Obviously the 4 times we made the Final in 1924, 1975, 1992 and 1995. 

Any other Scottish Cups Semis?

1955 Semi Final footage some quality commentary 👌

... sadly I am old enough to remember. 🫤

My day will come, 30 years from now I’ll be talking up Martin, Coyle, Sandison, Ceaser, Black, Boyle, Honor, Kidd, Stewart, Balfour, Reid, Lawrence, etc. I know I left a few out. My early years of supporting Airdrie, surely one of our best teams ever

Looking forward to seeing the team today, keeping a special eye on the trialists. Wondering how many surprise faces we will see today

11 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Wondering how many surprise faces we will see today

Airdrieonians: Rae, Ballantyne, Trialist, McCabe, Fordyce, Trialist, Frizzell, Smith, McMaster, Devenny, McGill Subs: Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Gallagher, Trialist, Trialist

Loads it seems.