The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

My hot take is this - no need to panic over a closed door game with a bunch of randoms being fielded. The Hamilton closed door game literally didnt matter.

however, the club/mccabe need to get their finger out and get the first 11 sorted, as well as some players for the bench and necessary coach before the first competitive fixture, and time is running out for that, particularly concerning given that we shouldnt be signing any old dross but are in a climate where the odd manager here and there are complaining that there's a smaller pool to draw from.

Edited by G_H

Queens have signed some, but are they better than what we have ? 

Queens have a team that got them relegated.

The only area I think Airdrie look stronger than us is GK and probably RB as we don't appear to have an outright RB. I wouldn't swap any other area with what we have in exchange for what Airdrie have.

Aye we have retained a lot of players from a relegated side but it seems to be the ones that most fans agree were the better ones. We've trimmed away the utter dross.

They may well have improved since they were with us but the ex-QoS players in the Airdrie squad were all out their depth/done at Championship level. McCabe probably the exception. He wasn't out his depth but he was average at best. I'd say we have a good few in that squad that could easily play the level above. It's about seeing if they can play together as a team.

Wonder when the new strips will be released, maybe released with a new signing, but that might be wishful thinking. Personally I'd love the return of the away kit with the red and the white diamond. Not seen that kit for a while. Was a big fan of the 3rd kit from last season too so would be interesting if they do something outwith the ordinary again this year. If the kits are the same standard as the new training gear this year, i've got high hopes for something good.

8 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Wonder when the new strips will be released, maybe released with a new signing, but that might be wishful thinking. Personally I'd love the return of the away kit with the red and the white diamond. Not seen that kit for a while. Was a big fan of the 3rd kit from last season too so would be interesting if they do something outwith the ordinary again this year. If the kits are the same standard as the new training gear this year, i've got high hopes for something good.

The last 3 away strips have been black/dark grey, so here’s hoping for a red one! 

The only area I think Airdrie look stronger than us is GK and probably RB as we don't appear to have an outright RB. I wouldn't swap any other area with what we have in exchange for what Airdrie have.

Aye we have retained a lot of players from a relegated side but it seems to be the ones that most fans agree were the better ones. We've trimmed away the utter dross.

They may well have improved since they were with us but the ex-QoS players in the Airdrie squad were all out their depth/done at Championship level. McCabe probably the exception. He wasn't out his depth but he was average at best. I'd say we have a good few in that squad that could easily play the level above. It's about seeing if they can play together as a team.
From the few Queens games I watched last season on BBC i thought you played well, I think it was the Thistle game last year I think you dominated it but your finishing and ability to kill off a game cost you.

I'd imagine Airdrie will add a few signings this week so it will be interesting to compare the two sides once we will have a full starting 11.

A player I've always rated is Lee Connelly and I think based on him signing as it stands you probably edge it between the two teams at the moment.

Gavin Reilly is definitely an upgrade on Ally Roy too. Likewise with ourselves, players that have left QOS (McCabe, Frizzell, Fordyce) have been exceptional for us last year. Like Paul McKay has been for QOS or potentially Max Currie could be this season.

Just need to wait and see what happens and see where both teams are in terms or recruitment at the first game of the league season.

From the few Queens games I watched last season on BBC i thought you played well, I think it was the Thistle game last year I think you dominated it but your finishing and ability to kill off a game cost you.

I'd imagine Airdrie will add a few signings this week so it will be interesting to compare the two sides once we will have a full starting 11.

A player I've always rated is Lee Connelly and I think based on him signing as it stands you probably edge it between the two teams at the moment.

Gavin Reilly is definitely an upgrade on Ally Roy too. Likewise with ourselves, players that have left QOS (McCabe, Frizzell, Fordyce) have been exceptional for us last year. Like Paul McKay has been for QOS or potentially Max Currie could be this season.

Just need to wait and see what happens and see where both teams are in terms or recruitment at the first game of the league season.
I think we are short up top. Reilly is a very good signing for this level but I don't think he'll have enough goals in him for it to be enough - unless of course other players chip in in which case double figures from a striker would be enough.

You'll see Salim's game improve tenfold against us. He'll without question be the best striker on show in our 4 games this season [emoji849]

I think in our league it's not just about ability but work rate and effort. Falkirk had plenty players expected to stroll this league. They bottles it and hardly tried a leg. Not saying QoTS will be the same but it could happen. This league ain't as easy as some players think. They'll need to adapt and some do, others don't. Time will tell I guess. 

But it's been proven that it's not purely based on crowd size, budget etc. 

I think we are short up top. Reilly is a very good signing for this level but I don't think he'll have enough goals in him for it to be enough - unless of course other players chip in in which case double figures from a striker would be enough.

You'll see Salim's game improve tenfold against us. He'll without question be the best striker on show in our 4 games this season [emoji849]
Wonder if Gibson will look at a target man to play along side Reilly then? Gallagher and Smith got 15/16 goals for us last year and if Gabby McGill wasn't unlucky with injuries he'd of been in double figures. I'd say I'm pretty happy with our forwards we have. Salim has also been injured virtually all of last season, so he's really an unknown to ourselves. So hopefully adds something different and comes good.

Salim to score against you, Josh Rae to make a howler and Max Currie to save a penalty [emoji51]

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

How do you think Queens will set up this season? Only a friendly of course but you seem to continually sign defenders and it looked like a back three with McKenna and Quitongo as wing backs from tonights team, which isn’t particularly attacking. We started last season with Sam Wardrop and Quitongo as wing backs, too players who don’t offer too much as an attacking threat, and it was a real issue and one of the reasons we had to ditch the three at the back so early on. Queens have certainly made some good signings but like most teams in this league, a new(ish) manager makes it very interesting. Going to be a fascinating league as at least one team will surely make an arse of things. 

How do you think Queens will set up this season? Only a friendly of course but you seem to continually sign defenders and it looked like a back three with McKenna and Quitongo as wing backs from tonights team, which isn’t particularly attacking. We started last season with Sam Wardrop and Quitongo as wing backs, too players who don’t offer too much as an attacking threat, and it was a real issue and one of the reasons we had to ditch the three at the back so early on. Queens have certainly made some good signings but like most teams in this league, a new(ish) manager makes it very interesting. Going to be a fascinating league as at least one team will surely make an arse of things. 

I've no idea tbh. Yesterday looked like a 3-5-1-1 but it could have been more to do with our personnel available last night than WG's preference; we only had one striker (excluding the trialist) in the squad.

Only a friendly but it was a positive performance so it's hard to criticise the setup I suppose. He may well use a slightly less attacking setup in the more challenging games/away games and set up more attacking at home. Time will tell I suppose.

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Third kit could be released on Saturday before the NLC cup and Away kit out on the Sunday so we can wear both kits for both of the games 

In theory should we not have more available funds for wages than last season? Presumably as a rookie manager McCabe is on less than Murray was, and since he doubles as a player his entire playing wage is freed up, plus whatever the difference between his and Murray’s wages are? Cantley’s wage also freed up with Hutton replacing both him and Jim Low which might not be much but it’s still something.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

In theory should we not have more available funds for wages than last season? Presumably as a rookie manager McCabe is on less than Murray was, and since he doubles as a player his entire playing wage is freed up, plus whatever the difference between his and Murray’s wages are? Cantley’s wage also freed up with Hutton replacing both him and Jim Low which might not be much but it’s still something.

Also had some big attendances with the Cove, Montrose and Queens Park games which must have brought in quite a bit, especially compared to the year before with no fans. Although we did get Covid payments. I still think we'll be paying less than Queens, Dunfermline, Falkirk and perhaps Kelty though, so it's not easy.

I think something else to consider for signing players is that there is a drip down effect with trialists. There will be guys training with Premiership and Championship clubs who will be getting told in the next couple of weeks that they aren't needed - but who could probably do a job in League 1. Just like we'll be telling guys this week that they aren't needed and they'll sign for League 2 or Lowland League sides in the next few weeks. It takes a bit of time for them all to drip through the leagues. If you go too early and sign guys and then better ones become available then you're stuck. Rae is probably an example of that where the gamble of waiting paid off, however obviously the flip side is that you wait and then get no-one.

The suggestion that we 'need to get the finger out' is just stupid, as if McCabe and the club are sitting around doing nothing, they are clearly trying their best to get the best players they can whilst also not wasting what limited budget we'll have.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

35 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The suggestion that we 'need to get the finger out' is just stupid, as if McCabe and the club are sitting around doing nothing, they are clearly trying their best to get the best players they can whilst also not wasting what limited budget we'll have.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-no2-targets-at-least-27350091

“That’s what the manager is doing, trying to identify players in positions that we feel we need to strengthen in.

i.e. we are currently back to the drawing board when it comes to signing players.

Therefore it is not unreasonable to have some questions at this stage.

Edited by G_H

13 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

I don't see that we are miles behind. 

Falkirk signed a few but its still the same mince players they had last year. Queens have signed some, but are they better than what we have ? 

Obviously we've all got our opinions , but we do this every year. I argued with the exact same folk about last seasons squad,  and yes we fell at the last hurdle but was that not the best team we've had on the park for years? We strengthened 2 positions on last year , lost aggy who no one bar me rated and lost Dylan. Dylan js a huge miss but as they've said dozens of times they are trying to bring in a replacement,  but that's obviously a big ask. We had a loanee at left back 80 percent of the season and our bench was made up of non starters , no offense to them. So we are in the exact same boat as we were at this stage last , with the benefit of a the majority of the starting 11 have played together last year. When was the last time we could say that ? How is that not something to be positive about ? 

I understand why Airdrie fans keep skipping over it, but managers matter, an awful, awful lot. 

In the same posts in this thread you'll have Airdrie fans saying how it isn't relevant that fans of other teams didn't rate Frizzel, McCabe, Fordyce, McGill etc because they improved at Airdrie, then shrug off losing Murray as not a big deal, absolutely bizarre. 

As Falkirk have shown, and you all know this because they seem to get posted about allot, you can have loads of players who are meant to be good at this level, but if they are managed poorly then it turns to shit pretty quickly. 

Appointing your best players as manager and assistant manager so they don't leave is proper Saturday amateur buisness. If any other side in Scotland does that you'd have Airdrie fans rightfully pointing out how ridiculous it is, and it's destined to fail. 

Instead because you've signed a right back everything's sweet and it definitely negates losing a management team and your best player, absolutely wild. 

13 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Falkirks team is full of jobbers they want shot of but gave 4 year contracts to. I'd rather be in our position of not being stuck with journeymen who didn't try a keg last season. Queens have a team that got them relegated, same as Dunfermline. Not concerned by either of them. Let's just see how we do over the next month. 

By the same logic, Airdrie have a team that couldn't get promoted. Should anyone be concerned about them? 

36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I understand why Airdrie fans keep skipping over it, but managers matter, an awful, awful lot. 

In the same posts in this thread you'll have Airdrie fans saying how it isn't relevant that fans of other teams didn't rate Frizzel, McCabe, Fordyce, McGill etc because they improved at Airdrie, then shrug off losing Murray as not a big deal, absolutely bizarre. 

As Falkirk have shown, and you all know this because they seem to get posted about allot, you can have loads of players who are meant to be good at this level, but if they are managed poorly then it turns to shit pretty quickly. 

Appointing your best players as manager and assistant manager so they don't leave is proper Saturday amateur buisness. If any other side in Scotland does that you'd have Airdrie fans rightfully pointing out how ridiculous it is, and it's destined to fail. 

Instead because you've signed a right back everything's sweet and it definitely negates losing a management team and your best player, absolutely wild. 

By the same logic, Airdrie have a team that couldn't get promoted. Should anyone be concerned about them? 

So by your logic, should anyone be worried about your lot since you were relegated and beaten by a league 1 team in the play offs? 

14 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Falkirks team is full of jobbers they want shot of but gave 4 year contracts to. I'd rather be in our position of not being stuck with journeymen who didn't try a keg last season. Queens have a team that got them relegated, same as Dunfermline. Not concerned by either of them. Let's just see how we do over the next month. 

You know teams change during the summer, right?