The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

16 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Very uninspiring list of names that, i'll reserve judgement until they play of course but surely some of these guys aren't much better than the likes if McDonald, Lyons, Allan etc what's the point of releasing them if we're gonna replace with them with these types of signings.

Of course some of them won't be better. But some of them might. That's the whole point of trialists and playing them in friendlies. To suss that out. I'd be surprised if we sign many, if any, of these players. But you've got to see them in training and games to know if they'll add value. 

Basing it on actual signings so far, I'm impressed with the upgrades at right back and GK. And I am confident McCabe will continue to upgrade the squad. He's no mug. 

9 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So basically we're basing some daft panic and drawing conclusions on a list of players from a closed doors game and result 1 and a half weeks into preseason training? 😂

Just let that sink in a moment. 

This is what I'm saying , at least give the team a chance to be rotten. 

4b5bc45d9101bb3057b3f1866708b84d.jpg

For comparison, this is where we were this time last season (that’s the team that played Cumbernauld Colts in the NL Cup). Frizzell had been signed at this point it should be said, but was out injured. We’ve got four of those named players still in the squad now, plus Frizzell who was injured and McGill who was one of the trialists. After this we signed Salim and Smith who we still have now. Currie’s been replaced with Rae, Wardrop’s been belatedly replaced by Ballantyne, Cantley’s been replaced by Hutton. We’ve brought in Devenny as well, but I wouldn’t call him a direct replacement for any of those named players. We’re definitely a bit lighter than we were this time last season, but I think we’ve got a bit more quality now, with the exception of Easton of course.
Do you know what the starting line up was from the 3-0 defeat against Clyde? Think that was mostly trialists.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Couldn’t find a highlights video but this is from the match report on the club website. Back three with Watson at wing back if I recall correctly.

14453ac227ca3ac27d03aee60f777619.jpg

Yeah the back three was Harris O’Connor, Fordyce and Lyons, Watson and Quitongo at wing back, a midfield three of McDonald, Agnew and Ritchie (a formidable trio) and Daniel Scally and Jordan Allan up front. I think the trialist subs that day were Ally Taylor, Miracle Okafor (remember him?) and Gabby McGill. What a team.

36 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Very uninspiring list of names that, i'll reserve judgement until they play of course but surely some of these guys aren't much better than the likes if McDonald, Lyons, Allan etc what's the point of releasing them if we're gonna replace with them with these types of signings.

Surely it's better to take the chance on other youngsters who potentially could make the 1st team rather than re-signing the same players you know aren't going to be good enough? Worst case they sit on the bench and fill out the squad and best case one or two actually become a first team regular.

If you actually look at how last year's squad ended up at the end, we only had probably 14 first team players signed (that's including Allan and Lyons who you could potentially class as backup/youngsters) and the rest were made up with 5 youngsters and 5 loanees.

We'll always have the same sort of make up of a squad...expecting us to replace the likes McDonald, Allan, Walker etc with ready to go 1st team players just isnt going to happen! 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Couldn’t find a highlights video but this is from the match report on the club website. Back three with Watson at wing back if I recall correctly.

14453ac227ca3ac27d03aee60f777619.jpg

Very uninspired by this team 

The reaction by some on here is hysterical nonsense.

Far a start, we are only 2 players (left-back and centre midfielder) away from having the best starting 11 we've had in years:

Rae, Ballantyne, Watson, Fordyce, LB, McCabe, CM, Frizzell, Smith, Gallagher, McGill.

Clearly you need a squad but as a starting 11 I'd be very happy with that if we can get those last 2 positions sorted.

The Hamilton game was largely a bunch of trialists, the majority of whom will not sign, and there may be a couple of decent players in there to add to the squad.

If we're in the same position when the competitive games start then I'd be a bit more concerned. Calling things a 'shambles' over a pre-season kickabout is ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Of course some of them won't be better. But some of them might. That's the whole point of trialists and playing them in friendlies. To suss that out. I'd be surprised if we sign many, if any, of these players. But you've got to see them in training and games to know if they'll add value. 

Basing it on actual signings so far, I'm impressed with the upgrades at right back and GK. And I am confident McCabe will continue to upgrade the squad. He's no mug. 

All about playing as a unit, some times you get special players but maybe overplay it when could have brought another player into play, we can say this and that  in friendlies and it would be good to hammer in a few goals,but  going to give new management a fair shout. 

5 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So basically we're basing some daft panic and drawing conclusions on a list of players from a closed doors game and result 1 and a half weeks into preseason training? 😂

Just let that sink in a moment. 

I will flip the discussion slightly. We are panicking and drawing conclusions on a list of players from a closed doors game that he club has saw fit to give training facilities for one and a half weeks now with the new season starting in 10 days when we must have a signed team and subs signed in order to take part in the tournament,  a tournament in which we will be on TV against St Mirre n in under 3 weeks...    And let's not forget the elephant in the room a qualified UEFA B coach is required on he touchline,  a simple request really, most school teams and youth teams have these coaches in place,  we seem to have difficulty in this process,  I am sure the club still have Stephen Findlays number maybe he can help us out again, like he did before..(  Sorry that comment is meant to be tongue in cheek.....  Or is it  😚😚)

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

I will flip the discussion slightly. We are panicking and drawing conclusions on a list of players from a closed doors game that he club has saw fit to give training facilities for one and a half weeks now with the new season starting in 10 days when we must have a signed team and subs signed in order to take part in the tournament,  a tournament in which we will be on TV against St Mirre n in under 3 weeks...    And let's not forget the elephant in the room a qualified UEFA B coach is required on he touchline,  a simple request really, most school teams and youth teams have these coaches in place,  we seem to have difficulty in this process,  I am sure the club still have Stephen Findlays number maybe he can help us out again, like he did before..(  Sorry that comment is meant to be tongue in cheek.....  Or is it  😚😚)

For starters, see Diamonds are Forever's post above regarding our current team. We are already very close to possibly our best starting 11 in a long long time. You almost seem to be focusing on the negatives or things still to be implemented. There's plenty time yet and the league Cup start is not a deadline to have a whole squad signed and ready to go. Giving players training facilities means heehaw except maybe that we are kind enough to help some people out. Means nothing if they don't sign them. 

I am very confident that we will sign some more very good players, similar to how we've upgraded our RB and GK so far. May e its just how different people look at things but there's just zero reason for some of the panic and negativity in here this early in preseason. Over a month from the league even starting. I just don't get it. 

Also going to assume someone has thier badges or we would be playing next week. And worth noting that yesterday's game was on a Tuesday afternoon, some lads are part time. But yes let's all assume the worst, in fact Mccabe out if we don't win the NL Cup. 

33 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

For starters, see Diamonds are Forever's post above regarding our current team. We are already very close to possibly our best starting 11 in a long long time. You almost seem to be focusing on the negatives or things still to be implemented. There's plenty time yet and the league Cup start is not a deadline to have a whole squad signed and ready to go. Giving players training facilities means heehaw except maybe that we are kind enough to help some people out. Means nothing if they don't sign them. 

I am very confident that we will sign some more very good players, similar to how we've upgraded our RB and GK so far. May e its just how different people look at things but there's just zero reason for some of the panic and negativity in here this early in preseason. Over a month from the league even starting. I just don't get it. 

Whilst i currently don't see the need to panic, and i'll reserve judgement until our squad is complete, Passionate does have a point as we are clearly miles  behind our main rivals in building our squad.

I'm still waiting on the 3 or 4 players (loans or full time) who are going to walk into our starting 11.

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst i currently don't see the need to panic, and i'll reserve judgement until our squad is complete, Passionate does have a point as we are clearly miles  behind our main rivals in building our squad.

I'm still waiting on the 3 or 4 players (loans or full time) who are going to walk into our starting 11.

I don't see that we are miles behind. 

Falkirk signed a few but its still the same mince players they had last year. Queens have signed some, but are they better than what we have ? 

Obviously we've all got our opinions , but we do this every year. I argued with the exact same folk about last seasons squad,  and yes we fell at the last hurdle but was that not the best team we've had on the park for years? We strengthened 2 positions on last year , lost aggy who no one bar me rated and lost Dylan. Dylan js a huge miss but as they've said dozens of times they are trying to bring in a replacement,  but that's obviously a big ask. We had a loanee at left back 80 percent of the season and our bench was made up of non starters , no offense to them. So we are in the exact same boat as we were at this stage last , with the benefit of a the majority of the starting 11 have played together last year. When was the last time we could say that ? How is that not something to be positive about ? 

1 minute ago, Rossm25 said:

I don't see that we are miles behind. 

Falkirk signed a few but its still the same mince players they had last year. Queens have signed some, but are they better than what we have ? 

Obviously we've all got our opinions , but we do this every year. I argued with the exact same folk about last seasons squad,  and yes we fell at the last hurdle but was that not the best team we've had on the park for years? We strengthened 2 positions on last year , lost aggy who no one bar me rated and lost Dylan. Dylan js a huge miss but as they've said dozens of times they are trying to bring in a replacement,  but that's obviously a big ask. We had a loanee at left back 80 percent of the season and our bench was made up of non starters , no offense to them. So we are in the exact same boat as we were at this stage last , with the benefit of a the majority of the starting 11 have played together last year. When was the last time we could say that ? How is that not something to be positive about ? 

We've 12 players, in that respect we are miles behind. Dunfermline, Queens & Falkirk are all around the 20 mark so we've still to sign another 8 or 9.

32 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm sorry but you're way off the mark with that one. We are not miles off a decent squad or behind our rivals IMO. As for the 3 or 4 more players, these things take time. Take our time to get the right players and people moan. If we rushed signings and they were poor people would moan. The club can't win really, until we get the team on the park, in the league, and start winning. 

This is the first season in a long time where we have retained the bulk of our squad we wanted to keep and are not starting from scratch. Add in the best RB in the league over the last few seasons and an improvement in goals and if say we are in a damn good position right now. 

Also, personally I don't give a monkeys about the league Cup. It's almost an extended preseason these days for most teams. It's the league that counts and that's where I'll save my judgement for. And I guarantee we will have a much fuller squad by the time we play Peterhead. 

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We've 12 players, in that respect we are miles behind. Dunfermline, Queens & Falkirk are all around the 20 mark so we've still to sign another 8 or 9.

Which will maybe be another 3/4 contract players and the rest on loans, same as every season. Spl teams only went back this week and most are off at training camps so your not gonna get much loan business till next week or so. But in terms of quality of starting 11 we are not miles behind. 

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I'm sorry but you're way off the mark with that one. We are not miles off a decent squad or behind our rivals IMO. As for the 3 or 4 more players, these things take time. Take our time to get the right players and people moan. If we rushed signings and they were poor people would moan. The club can't win really, until we get the team on the park, in the league, and start winning. 

This is the first season in a long time where we have retained the bulk of our squad we wanted to keep and are not starting from scratch. Add in the best RB in the league over the last few seasons and an improvement in goals and if say we are in a damn good position right now. 

Also, personally I don't give a monkeys about the league Cup. It's almost an extended preseason these days for most teams. It's the league that counts and that's where I'll save my judgement for. And I guarantee we will have a much fuller squad by the time we play Peterhead. 

This makes us look like we are the same person posting under two accounts 

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Falkirks team is full of jobbers they want shot of but gave 4 year contracts to. I'd rather be in our position of not being stuck with journeymen who didn't try a keg last season. Queens have a team that got them relegated, same as Dunfermline. Not concerned by either of them. Let's just see how we do over the next month.