The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Seen someone say on Twitter that they heard we lost 4-0. Chinese whispers though so don’t know if there’s truth it in!

Heard the same,   To be fair Hamilton went back a week before us and maybe a bit ahead on preparation (excuses)

Losing 4-0 to Hamilton doesn't sound great but we lost 3-0 to Clyde last year and look how things turned out once the real stuff got going. I'd like to see a few new signings this week, especially as our first competitive game is less than two weeks away, but not bothered in the slightest by these results. 

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Difficult to tell although I can see the resemblance from a quick Google search. Don't think he's had a club for a season so hopefully not our starting #8! 😂

Don't know if it was him or not, but Taylor played all last season with Benburb in the WOSFL,   and has the same agent as McCabe,  McGIll, Frizzell and Devenney... 

25 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
34 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:
MacDonald would be an ideal signing which of course means it's not happening emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Wouldn't say it is too unrealistic especially if he's moving down to PT level. Apart from Arbroath and Cove. Not many teams would be able to offer him a PT deal as good plus add in the fact that Airdrie is located in the central belt too. Didn't expect McCabe to get Josh Rae over the line and he did. So I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully see a couple of signings before Saturday.

Recruitment IMO seems to be a major issue,  Ada m Livingston Clyde LB has apparently knocked us back,   A few on here and on the group page appear to think there is plenty going on and quality signings are lining up just to be announced,  I sincerely hope so. We don't have a lot of time and if we have been rode 4 nil by Hamilton today (rumoured) things haven't started well..

Cowdenbeath a week on Saturday surely we will have a minimum of 16 or 17_signed before loanees are added before the League starts,  we currently have 10 outfield and 2 keepers.......

3 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Kieran MacDonald has left Hamilton, to go part time by the looks of it. Airdrie bound to fill the left back gap?

Certainly could be. When KMac was PT, he was working as an engineer with the family business, and that worked while he played PT at Airdrie, East Fife and Raith. The obvious top candidates in the right area would be Airdrie and the Pars, plus possibly Falkirk and Queen’s Park.

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Recruitment IMO seems to be a major issue,  Ada m Livingston Clyde LB has apparently knocked us back,   A few on here and on the group page appear to think there is plenty going on and quality signings are lining up just to be announced,  I sincerely hope so. We don't have a lot of time and if we have been rode 4 nil by Hamilton today (rumoured) things haven't started well..

Cowdenbeath a week on Saturday surely we will have a minimum of 16 or 17_signed before loanees are added before the League starts,  we currently have 10 outfield and 2 keepers.......

Let’s be honest, if you’re a player would you want to sign for a player manager on his first job at 29, player assistant, player goalie coach…

whole thing looks a shambles from the outside and most I’d say wouldn’t want to be involved.

I’m excited for the new season but not confident in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Stevo1968 said:

Let’s be honest, if you’re a player would you want to sign for a player manager on his first job at 29, player assistant, player goalie coach…

whole thing looks a shambles from the outside and most I’d say wouldn’t want to be involved.

This is probably the most honest post I have Seen for weeks on here,  and I could not disagree in the slightest....

30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Certainly could be. When KMac was PT, he was working as an engineer with the family business, and that worked while he played PT at Airdrie, East Fife and Raith. The obvious top candidates in the right area would be Airdrie and the Pars, plus possibly Falkirk and Queen’s Park.

Could see him heading to Alloa given Brian Rice signed him for Hamilton. I'd happily have him back at Airdrie, even if he was pretty average for us previously, but not sure he'd be keen to come back. 

27 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Yeah I keep forgetting that McCabe is actually the manager. I think because an outsider hasn't came in it doesn't feel like too much has changed to me but when I remember that our management team is now literally McCabe and Fordyce it is a bit of a concern in terms of balancing that extra work without their performances dipping. I'm excited to see how they get on and given there weren't many external candidates who appealed in the slightest I'm happy enough to try but if Falkirk or Dunfermline had done something like this I'd just have laughed.

I can understand folk being unsure about a young manager but how exactly does that make it a "shambles" ? Is it a gamble? Aye probably, but a "shambles" Holy moly folk on here dramatic. 

1 hour ago, Stevo1968 said:

2 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I can understand folk being unsure about a young manager but how exactly does that make it a "shambles" ? Is it a gamble? Aye probably, but a "shambles" Holy moly folk on here dramatic. 

As was said above, imagine this was Falkirk, we’d be slaughtering it! 

I’m excited and intrigued to see how it works out but if you’re a player I don’t imagine it would seem very appealing to be a part of compared to other teams in our league with genuine managers. 

how many player/managers have lasted more than 6 months these days? They either get sacked or commit to being a player or a manager it never seems to work out..

22 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

I’m excited and intrigued to see how it works out but if you’re a player I don’t imagine it would seem very appealing to be a part of compared to other teams in our league with genuine managers. 

how many player/managers have lasted more than 6 months these days? They either get sacked or commit to being a player or a manager it never seems to work out..

Think it was logical the club didn’t dismantle the work Murray has done.

When initially we heard of Raith’s interest I’d guess we had hoped Aggy would take over, before he made it clear he wanted to go with Murray. 

Then we moved on to Rhys and Dycey. Yes, it’s a gamble but I’m sure if Rhys didn’t feel capable at this point he wouldn’t have put himself forward.

If we had appointed a journeyman manager they’d have probably made wholesale changes, plus we would’ve ran the risk of losing dycey and Rhys two of our best players.

I have been waiting on an experienced coach being announced to help out Prunty and Hutton whilst Rhys and Dycey concentrate on the playing side has there been any further talk of this?

As far as signings go I think we are far more lucrative than in previous years. Last year as we all know and as I’m sure players out with the club will know  there was a real buzz about Airdrie and the attendances at the end showed that there is potential there.

I’d hope we are aiming a higher than Livingstone in all honesty.

Rae and Ballantyne are two exceptional signings and if we can add more of that calibre I don’t think we have much to worry about.

56 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Fucking hell. One friendly defeat by Hamilton and some are chucking it already. We have not signed anyone on loan yet. We have literally just started pre season. Joke

Have I missed something. Read some comments about taking a gamble, which surely it is, is there any team ever won anything with a player  manager. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Have I missed something. Read some comments about taking a gamble, which surely it is, is there any team ever won anything with a player  manager. 

I think he's more aiming it at the "it's a shambles" posts. 

9 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

How can you be excited and intrigued but also think it's a shambles? Haha 

Giving Rhys the job means for the first season in ages we aren't wholesale rebuilding the squad. In terms of players we had on our books last year. Aggy  (who folk for some reason hated) is gone , Easton is away which is a huge loss but expected cause dafties voted him player of the year and Currie , who we seem to have improved on.

Not exactly a shambles. 

When we get beat 6-0 off Peterhead first game of the season...now that's shambles 

Edited by Rossm25