The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not at all convinced that we need a replacement for Afolabi - not least because he barely played and was generally not very good with the exception of the play-offs. We also already have 2 central strikers in Gallagher and Salim, even McGill could play there. Assuming we keep a similar system we'll only have one central striker playing so there's no need for another in the squad. For me an attacking wide player is a much bigger priority given that we don't really have any apart from Smith. Left-back is a definite, as is a midfielder or 2, or a centre back if McCabe is planning to play himself in centre midfield. I doubt we'll have the budget to sign all those outright but would hope some loanees would fill those gaps.

I'd be quite happy to play Frizzell slightly more advanced if we can't get an Easton type, I think he could be really good there although we would lose his dynamism getting up and down the park. We'd probably need a couple of more defensive midfielders if we were to do that though. Perhaps part of convincing him to stay was that he'd get to play further forward.

Only thing about Salim is we don't know the extent of his injury and if he's back to full fitness. Preferably I'd love to see a winger come in. Someone with a bit of pace that offers something different. If Salim was still injured Russell McLean would be a shout.

The two names been banded about for the midfield positions have been Charlie Telfer and Dan Pybus. Will be interesting see who we get in those positions.

Left back have no idea who we'd bring in, Adam Livingstone been mentioned a few times, don't think we could be able to get Brody Paterson (Raith fans say he's training with them) on a permanent deal.

6 hours ago, G_Unit said:

Haha only about 2 ft too short. 

I saw the Uber guys face after training Thursday. Despite his mahoosive stature he looked about 5 years old so likely a kid in bolstering numbers. 

A3DDE7EA-0B16-4E5F-AA5C-795BD492BAA3.jpeg

The players he's training with certainly look young although that could just be coincidence. Can't see Alan Gow putting them through their places :P 

Happy with this week's business. Especially Josh Rae who some said we had no chance of getting. When you add that to Cammy Ballantyne signing, seems we're looking for more than L1 "jobbers" for the first team

Also really good to read the last few posts giving opinions on what we have and what more is needed. Agree with pretty much all of it and good to see there"s a positive spin to it. What a difference last season has made to Airdrie fans' outlook.

Left back and an experienced playmaker to replace Easton are definitely priorities. Back that up with squad players and the inevitable loanees (McInroy quality please) and we won't be too far off.

McCabe might be young for a manager but I really think that he knows how to take us forward while still playing last year's style (win ugly will do me if we go up), so I think we will see a good midfielder or two yet to come in.

Hopefully a few more pens next week. 

Mon Aireeee!

First Team

Charlie Telfer - Knows the league after a couple of seasons at Falkirk. 

Kyle Turner - Probably more in hope than expectation. As has been suggested above, not first choice at Partick last season, might be worth asking Partick the question.

Leon McCann - Again more in hope than expectation, interesting to note that last season didn't go as well as either he or Falkirk hoped and that Falkirk have just signed Sean Mackie as first choice left back.

Squad Fillers

Couple of highly rated young players who may be worth a look as squad fillers, potentially pushing for first choice

Kyle Docherty (20) -  6ft 2 striker from Albion Rovers. Apparently on trial at Partick Thistle, and last season was on trial at QPR and Sunderland. 

George Stanger (21) - Centre half who scored against us last season for Dumbarton, highly rated by them but knocked back a deal to stay. 

Wouldn't have minded signing Aaron Dunsmore as a back up, but see he has signed for Stirling. 

Loan Deals

Left back seems to be a problem area, here's hoping Brody Paterson doesn't secure a deal at Raith. If he does, then I'd be tempted to ask Raith to loan their current left back (Liam Dick) to us. Failing that Mathew Anderson is the highly rated Celtic B team left back. 

Leon King from Rangers is another who needs regular first team football that he doesn't appear ready to command at Ibrox (yet). Very highly rated, a season at a footballing side in League 1 as opposed to the Lowland League would surely suit both parties.

Scott McGill - We know exactly what we are getting, last season's deal worked for both parties, another loan deal for an ever improving player would do similar

I'm sure there are a few other diamonds in the rough floating around that we haven't thought of - a la Josh Kerr from a couple of years ago, Scott McGill, Kerr McInroy and Adam Frizzell from last season

17 hours ago, Mabawsa Ritchie said:

First Team

Charlie Telfer - Knows the league after a couple of seasons at Falkirk. 

Kyle Turner - Probably more in hope than expectation. As has been suggested above, not first choice at Partick last season, might be worth asking Partick the question.

Leon McCann - Again more in hope than expectation, interesting to note that last season didn't go as well as either he or Falkirk hoped and that Falkirk have just signed Sean Mackie as first choice left back.

Squad Fillers

Couple of highly rated young players who may be worth a look as squad fillers, potentially pushing for first choice

Kyle Docherty (20) -  6ft 2 striker from Albion Rovers. Apparently on trial at Partick Thistle, and last season was on trial at QPR and Sunderland. 

George Stanger (21) - Centre half who scored against us last season for Dumbarton, highly rated by them but knocked back a deal to stay. 

Wouldn't have minded signing Aaron Dunsmore as a back up, but see he has signed for Stirling. 

Loan Deals

Left back seems to be a problem area, here's hoping Brody Paterson doesn't secure a deal at Raith. If he does, then I'd be tempted to ask Raith to loan their current left back (Liam Dick) to us. Failing that Mathew Anderson is the highly rated Celtic B team left back. 

Leon King from Rangers is another who needs regular first team football that he doesn't appear ready to command at Ibrox (yet). Very highly rated, a season at a footballing side in League 1 as opposed to the Lowland League would surely suit both parties.

Scott McGill - We know exactly what we are getting, last season's deal worked for both parties, another loan deal for an ever improving player would do similar

I'm sure there are a few other diamonds in the rough floating around that we haven't thought of - a la Josh Kerr from a couple of years ago, Scott McGill, Kerr McInroy and Adam Frizzell from last season

Leon McCann 😂😂

would prefer not having a left back he’s absolutely rotten

10 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Leon McCann 😂😂

would prefer not having a left back he’s absolutely rotten

League 1 jobber, looked out his depth when we played Morton in the play off final. Anyway, still got 2 years on his big fat Falkirk contract, move on!

5 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

That would be great if it happend, fingers crossed.

One of the things we all agreed on was lack of height and the ability to mix it up and that was one of the reasons  we fell short in the playoffs,    McGill would still be a squad player, like Devenney who will be a squad player also,  if these type of players end up starting we are in trouble. ,   we need somehow to get better quality starting players, his will cost money do we have it..... I think so with the savings made on management team etc,   as someone said Charlie Telfer and Dan Pybus would both be good sign ings,   has anybody heard anything concrete on these p!Ayers or others,   plenty on here have apparently heard names that they would be happy with or already signed ....... Although not announced for some reason

One of the things we all agreed on was lack of height and the ability to mix it up and that was one of the reasons  we fell short in the playoffs,    McGill would still be a squad player, like Devenney who will be a squad player also,  if these type of players end up starting we are in trouble. ,   we need somehow to get better quality starting players, his will cost money do we have it..... I think so with the savings made on management team etc,   as someone said Charlie Telfer and Dan Pybus would both be good sign ings,   has anybody heard anything concrete on these p!Ayers or others,   plenty on here have apparently heard names that they would be happy with or already signed ....... Although not announced for some reason
It was myself that suggested Dan Pybus but I seen Telfer mentioned a few times by other posters.

Still a left back and a centre back to come in and add some physicality too. I think you're being a tad harsh on Scott McGill to be honest I felt last season he contributed very well. His goals against Motherwell and two against Falkirk were outstanding.

He also stepped up and played in positions that weren't natural to him (left back, right back etc). He's been a class above some loan signings we have brought in before with his ability to pass the ball and go past a man.

I agree somewhat he'd be a squad player but certainly an excellent one to have. I'd imagine the loan signings would likely come during the Premier Sports Cup group stages.

Scott McGill made great contributions last season, with him and potentially a winger we'd have great options off the bench to change a game compared to last season. If he was to come back, I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

8 hours ago, David Fernández said:

That would be great if it happend, fingers crossed.

I had plenty of hope for him but i thought he became very disappointing as the season wore on. Yes he played in several positions but clearly not in Murray's best 11 when everyone was fit.

I've not given up on him but he needs to develop physically and stop giving the ball away so cheaply.

I had plenty of hope for him but i thought he became very disappointing as the season wore on. Yes he played in several positions but clearly not in Murray's best 11 when everyone was fit.
I've not given up on him but he needs to develop physically and stop giving the ball away so cheaply.
Agreed that he was definitely better during during first half of the season, I still would.of had him in the starting 11 over Agnew, over the course of the season if you compare him to Scott Agnew I felt he contributed more overall. But I do agree, if he added a bit more physicality do his game and didn't give away possession as cheaply at times. He'd be a quality player.

I definitely wouldn't be turning my nose up at McGill coming back, especially as another cheap/free loan.

He struggled a bit towards the end of the season, playoffs especially, but to have a young guy come in again who knows the club, majority of players (signed so far), style of play, and has already a number of league 1 games under his belt etc, that's already a step ahead.  

Put it this way, if it's a choice between Rhys caves or Scott McGill on the bench, I know who I'm going for.

Hearts extended McGill’s contract but there’s no way he’s ready to play for the third best team in the country, so he should be going out on loan, although I think Hearts are going to have a B team in the Lowland League next season which might complicate things. I’d have him back definitely.

55 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Anyone know whats happened with the Quitongo tribunal? Or is it just that the evidence has all been heard and awaiting the decision?

Unusually not heard a thing,  let's be honest here the media and press are only interested in one side of the story,  if it goes in the clubs favour their will be minimal coverage,  if against the club and PH it will be plastered all over social media, written press and probably TV....  Am I being sceptical here....