The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Paul McKay has actually been good for us

Where has he played mostly? He started out at right back for us then shifted to centre mid. By the end of his time with us he was playing in a back three but he was never really a standout in any role. I liked him more than most did, but from what we seen of him in his two seasons with us there’s no way he’d have made our strongest 11 last season.

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Paul McKay has actually been good for us

He was good for us as well. Just a section of our support took a complete dislike to him . Usually pick on one player a season weird bunch of fans at times 

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Where has he played mostly? He started out at right back for us then shifted to centre mid. By the end of his time with us he was playing in a back three but he was never really a standout in any role. I liked him more than most did, but from what we seen of him in his two seasons with us there’s no way he’d have made our strongest 11 last season.

He’s always been centre half with us, I’m not sure if he’ll be there this season as he’s not played before under our new gaffer and we have a few defenders already and are looking to bring one more in.

Seems like a great signing, its unusual to have signed two players now that the teams they came from would have wanted to keep, does this imply we are investing some money? still work to do but broadly happy with the way things are going

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

He’s always been centre half with us, I’m not sure if he’ll be there this season as he’s not played before under our new gaffer and we have a few defenders already and are looking to bring one more in.

Think you've probably gotten the best out of him playing in defence, wasn't a massive fan of him in midfield where we played him most, but he must of improved having signed for you. 

Will still finish above you, don’t get carried away

[emoji1787]not with max currie in goal

Bookmarked.

Will be an interesting Queens defence next season with Max Currie, Rico Quitongo and Paul McKay

Paul McKay if he stays fit will stroll it in L1. Never looked out of place in the Championship.

I really don't know what to make of Rae joining Airdrie. I can't lie, I'm disappointed he's left us to join a league rival. I'm also disappointed he's going to be playing at this level. He has bags of potential so I'm not sure why he's staying down here. I doubt there weren't other clubs from higher divisions in for him. Maybe he has a history with McCabe? I haven't read the link, is he staying FT with you or going PT?

I liked Paul McKay but I'd never have had him as a Championship player or even one of League 1's better players. If he's reached that sort of level good on him. His brother Jack is a dumplin' but I can't dislike him after that play-off semi-final goal v Cove. 

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Bookmarked.

I haven't read the link, is he staying FT with you or going PT?

Here's hoping your bookmarking goes better than the last time a queen's fan did that to an Airdrie fan, eh @QoS99 😂😂😂

He'll be full time with us. He's been training during the day all week.

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

I liked Paul McKay but I'd never have had him as a Championship player or even one of League 1's better players. If he's reached that sort of level good on him. His brother Jack is a dumplin' but I can't dislike him after that play-off semi-final goal v Cove. 

Yeah agreed thought he looked out of his depth when he was centre mid and right back, moved him centre half in a back 3 n looked more comfortable probably because he has more cover about him.

Never seen him play but the reports sound encouraging, although keen to see him play before getting too excited.

On the face of it we have significantly improved our goalkeeper situation from last year. Currie was pretty average plus we had no experienced back-up last year to come in if/when needed. Sounds like we've got an improvement with Rae plus in Hutton have a decent 2nd choice to fill in if needed.

A good left back and a couple of midfielders, particularly a creative one, and we'd look just as good, if not better, as last year (on paper..). Easier said than done to get the quality in those positions but hopefully there's stuff in the pipeline.

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I thought he got a bit of a hard time, he played in about 5 different positions for us and wasn't surrounded by particularly good players. He was often being asked to do stuff well outwith his ability level. I think if he'd been here last year he would have been a good player to have in the sitting midfield position or to fill in across the back line. He'll have a decent career kicking around the Championship and League 1.

22 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I thought he got a bit of a hard time, he played in about 5 different positions for us and wasn't surrounded by particularly good players. He was often being asked to do stuff well outwith his ability level. I think if he'd been here last year he would have been a good player to have in the sitting midfield position or to fill in across the back line. He'll have a decent career kicking around the Championship and League 1.

He'd actually have been a really useful player to have had last season given the Covid crises, not having a left-back for a chunk of the season and he could have played centre-half allowing McCabe to stay in the middle of the park. Playing in a better side would most likely have accentuated his positive qualities too. I'd have been more than happy to keep him TBH. 

Have to be happy with the days business. Devenny is a decent squad player to have in our side and provides solid back up when needed. I saw potential there last season so I’m thinking McCabe wants him to kick on and be fighting for a first team place. Can’t argue with the signing, makes sense in the grand scheme. Rae is an excellent signing. I fully believe he’ll be the best keeper in L1 and even though I have nothing against Currie, our team may have made it over the line last season with Rae between the sticks. If we can cut out some of the silly goals we’ll be in good shape. Our defense is starting to shape up nicely and a solid LB is a must!! Brody Paterson was my first choice, does anyone know what’s happening with him at RR?

They've been slow in announcing things but I've been pleased with our business so far. Our two new goalkeepers are upgrades on what we had last season. Ballantyne is the best right-back in the league and (along with Rae) should be playing in the Championship. We couldn't have said that about Rae or Ballantyne's equivalents last season. We've retained Fordyce, Watson, Frizzell and McCabe all of whom were amongst our best and most important players last season. And three forwards in Smith, Gal and Gabby who got 40 goals between them last season despite all having spells either injured or out of form. And hopefully a fully fit Salim will prove his worth and be amongst the goals. Devenny will obviously be a squad player but we know he's a competent and neat and tidy one who will hopefully kick on with a bit more development and game time. Still a lot to be done and/or be confirmed but fairly optimistic so far. 

Excellent keeper but I think he expected many offers when he turned down our contract .

He got none even Partick and Morton who need a keeper  offered him nothing so he had to take the Airdrie offer on less money .

At least we got a compo fee for him not a huge amount but better than nothing