The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I know Fernandy Mendy doesn’t come with the greatest reputation but I remember watching him last season and not getting what the big deal was. He looked pretty good to me…

Looking at the photo though I recall him being bulkier than that. Maybe Mouhamed Niang? I’m sure I read he was free to leave Thistle.

19 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I know Fernandy Mendy doesn’t come with the greatest reputation but I remember watching him last season and not getting what the big deal was. He looked pretty good to me…

Looking at the photo though I recall him being bulkier than that. Maybe Mouhamed Niang? I’m sure I read he was free to leave Thistle.

Yeh but i think he's prone to the odd error or 6! I hope someone is mixed up and it's frankie Musonda.

23 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Remember Gallagher bossed him in the first Alloa game last season, he is a unit though,,  seem to remember moans that he overplayed playing the ball out from the back,   Look out for the name Blaise,Riley Snow him and Mendy seem to follow each other about,  for us to challenge we need better...

Niang would be a good signing, always good to have a bit of dig in the middle of the park. I was hoping we'd be taking a look at him if Partick were letting him go.

@LeodhasXD how did you find him for you lot last year?

Russell Mclean not so much, got to ask yourself why Peterhead are happy to let him go especially given he's just scored 12 goals last season, don't rate him at all.

Only one we have really been linked with is a loan deal for Owen Moffat from Celtic, who I think can play as a winger/striker.

I think I'd taking someone putting up a post saying 'we signed x player' on Facebook with a pinch of salt, especially if there is little substance to it. Or if they are not explaining where they heard the information from.

Just need to see who we get in within the next coming weeks and find out who the potential trialists are during the NL Cup.

FB_IMG_1655910490989.jpg

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

Did you say Salim's name in the mirror 3 times tonight?👀

Not guilty! It's only been twice by my count in the thread, standard beetlejuice rules not being observed here or else someone is doing it at home!

30 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Someone mentioned Mendy on twitter the other day and it was pointed out that he’s not currently in the UK and is on holiday with his family so while I have no idea if he’s a player we’re after or have had discussions with, he certainly wasn’t training with the squad today if that is true.

I did see that Mendy liked the post of our new pitch on Twitter a few weeks ago. And then unliked it, maybe told off for doing so!

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Someone mentioned Mendy on twitter the other day and it was pointed out that he’s not currently in the UK and is on holiday with his family so while I have no idea if he’s a player we’re after or have had discussions with, he certainly wasn’t training with the squad today if that is true.

Just had a nosey on his Instagram and he has posted a couple videos today & yesterday of him and his family on holiday. 

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I remember McCabe said in the Advertiser that while he wants to replicate last season's style of football, he thought one of our biggest downfalls was not being able to adapt or change/mix things up if things weren't going our way. Our version of that was just chucking every forward player on, which admittedly had mixed success, and he wants to bring in players to address that. I would tend to agree with him. I don't think 'size' is necessarily the important thing (though it would definitely help at set pieces) but there were games where we needed to be more streetwise, take the sting out of a game/see it out better, pick up a booking or foul because it would have been the best thing to do etc. Cove, Montrose, Thistle and Queen's Park were all better at this than us and it ultimately showed when it mattered. You can be a good footballing side and a streetwise shithousing one and the best sides tend to combine those elements well. 

Also our lack of options on the bench where it was obvious that Murray thought there was no point making substitutions.

This again takes me to "squad players" and their worth as there was no real point in Dean Ritchie, M MacDonald, Pyott (if he ever existed) Walker, Devenny & Cantley who were only ever used in emergencies only and didn't provide any competition to others.

More quality and a lighter squad for me and take the chance with injuries!

Did Mendy not leave Alloa to return to France for family/personal reasons? I’d be surprised if an offer from Airdrie would tempt him back so quickly (or at all in fact) and, to be brutally honest to the big man, I’d be even more surprised if we were to make him an offer. 

Take it they’re waiting for the pitch to be finished so they don’t have to announce any signings at Broadwood? 😂 Quite right too, can’t be parading signings at that hovel. 

Edited by airdrieman

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Did Mendy not leave Alloa to return to France for family/personal reasons? I’d be surprised if an offer from Airdrie would tempt him back so quickly (or at all in fact) and, to be brutally honest to the big man, I’d be even more surprised if we were to make him an offer. 

Take it they’re waiting for the pitch to be finished so they don’t have to announce any signings at Broadwood? 😂 Quite right too, can’t be parading signings at that hovel. 

Think you might have something here...

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

That was the reason given but in reality I suspect he knew he had no chance of getting a game with Ferguson gone and it suited the club to get him off the wage bill. Everyone says he is a great guy but unfortunately he is a terrible footballer. I'd be astonished if Airdrie signed him.