The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

22 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He quoted me calling him 'Jaime Goals Wilson' so I dug out the original post to show the actual context.

Airdrieman's just a good laugh given how much he went on about Kouder Aissa being an absolute baller last summer.

You are literally the only one going on about it. I could not care less about an innocuous comment I made almost a year ago on a football forum. I would not even have been able to tell you what it was I said had you not trawled through pages of content to quote it. Folk, like yourself, make hyperbolic/inaccurate/optimistic/hopeful/wild comments on here all the time. In fact, you'd have had us believe Charlie Telfer was the best midfielder in League 1 and half of the League 1 team of the year at Christmas time should have been made up of Falkirk players. 

Anyway, if Airdrie fans and Falkirk fans could cease with the tediousness on each other's thread at least until the week of our first game that would be great thanks. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

I doubt CB even knows there's a 'next' button.

You trying to point score with "others being a bit oblivious" as your weapon of choice is akin to Stalin calling Pol Pot a "bit murder-y"...

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I’ve been relaxed up until now, but if we don’t make any signing announcements today I think I may start worrying.

I was lead to believe we’d signed players several weeks ago so I’ve either been given bad info, or the club are taking their sweet time.

I'll be honest, that's what I was lead to believe also, but no names or anything were mentioned.  I just thought with the season ticket sales date and the pitch laid, what better way to promote that of a weekend with a couple of decent signings. Maybe I've put 2+2 together and got 5 though 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I’ve been relaxed up until now, but if we don’t make any signing announcements today I think I may start worrying.

I was lead to believe we’d signed players several weeks ago so I’ve either been given bad info, or the club are taking their sweet time.

I am not normally a critic of the club PR,  last couple of seasons has been ok imo,   but since the playoff defeat admittedly it was gutting and then losing your entire Football dept more or less,,,  As they say you learn more about yourself in adversity,    We appointed McCabe and Fordyce bravely ?? 

New signings give you an idea on where you think you will end up and generate interest and expectation for season ticket sales and beyond..

Our opening season Ticket sales weekend and nothing on the new signings front, all we have is the negativity of the Rico tribunal...

Rumours abound (coolled a bit recently) of signings in the clubs opinion that make  us a stronger squad and business has been done....I

Why not unveil the signings IF they are a done deal......

I was worried a bit with the lack of signings but thinking about some of it logically , there will be players who the club will want to see in training , maybe even a friendly or two before signing. 

Also the Scottish league isn't the only place to sign players from as someone mentioned. If we are getting players from down south or elsewhere they will be relocating,  and I'd imagine wouldn't come up until pre season starts, which is today. 

The club are obviously trying to bring in players , but its never as simple as just bringing a player in cause we want them. Even with last year's good run it doesn't guarantee us first pick. Never understood the people on here who think we can just sign a player , anyone we want, and if the club don't get him then they didn't try. That's Falkirk level of arrogance...Still a pen today or early next week would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I was worried a bit with the lack of signings but thinking about some of it logically , there will be players who the club will want to see in training , maybe even a friendly or two before signing. 

Also the Scottish league isn't the only place to sign players from as someone mentioned. If we are getting players from down south or elsewhere they will be relocating,  and I'd imagine wouldn't come up until pre season starts, which is today. 

The club are obviously trying to bring in players , but its never as simple as just bringing a player in cause we want them. Even with last year's good run it doesn't guarantee us first pick. Never understood the people on here who think we can just sign a player , anyone we want, and if the club don't get him then they didn't try. That's Falkirk level of arrogance...Still a pen today or early next week would be nice.

I don't think anybody is that naive to be honest,  but it sounds like the inner sanctum have dropped major hints of done deal signings, which so far haven't materialized which generate frustration amongst our support,   you are right we can sign from other leagues and countries......

Looking at our league QOS have signed a more than decent squad,  Falkirk signed well as well ,  we need at least 10 before our first match against Cowdenbeath you cannot play trialist in that tournament....

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I don't think anybody is that naive to be honest,  but it sounds like the inner sanctum have dropped major hints of done deal signings, which so far haven't materialized which generate frustration amongst our support,   you are right we can sign from other leagues and countries......

Looking at our league QOS have signed a more than decent squad,  Falkirk signed well as well ,  we need at least 10 before our first match against Cowdenbeath you cannot play trialist in that tournament....

Nah 100 percent we need more players and it's frustrating. I'm just saying there will be news when there's news and hopefully it's all gonna be fine. I would rather we got players in to look at them first than sign anyone based on rep. Can't imagine our scout network is too big.

Hope we don't have to wait for to see how a bunch of trialists will go in the Broadwood Cup before the squad will be completed.   Pre season begins soon and we still need 11 or 12 to make a squad.   The loan market doesn't usually warm up till teams play a few friendly games but we can't wait for possible loan deals.   We need to build a strong squad ASAP. 

3 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Hope we don't have to wait for to see how a bunch of trialists will go in the Broadwood Cup before the squad will be completed.   Pre season begins soon and we still need 11 or 12 to make a squad.   The loan market doesn't usually warm up till teams play a few friendly games but we can't wait for possible loan deals.   We need to build a strong squad ASAP. 

Pre season begins today! Surely be a few Trialists in today and a few boys signing, I’d like to think we'll see the pen today.

There are still some really good players that haven't been signed up yet. I get the frustration about the lack of signings, and I've been more frustrated than anyone, but i think we can't just blow the budget and sign anyone whilst missing out on players that will improve the squad from last year.

Looking at QOS for instance, they have recruited really early, you can look at the positives and negatives from that. They have managed to get a few decent signings on like Reilly and Wilson, but at the same time signed Quitongo up early, they may miss out in some gems by recruiting too early and not having the budget to get in some really good loans too.

Also I think getting in really good players takes a bit more time compared to just signing anyone due to the player having lots of offers from other teams.

In terms of players that are available, id like to see us have a go at the likes of Peter Grant, Brody Paterson, Charlie Telfer, Luca Connell and Russell McLean.

All the players I feel would improve and build on a successful team from last season, let's hope we see that pen soon 📝

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

There are still some really good players that haven't been signed up yet. I get the frustration about the lack of signings, and I've been more frustrated than anyone, but i think we can't just blow the budget and sign anyone whilst missing out on players that will improve the squad from last year.

Looking at QOS for instance, they have recruited really early, you can look at the positives and negatives from that. They have managed to get a few decent signings on like Reilly and Wilson, but at the same time signed Quitongo up early, they may miss out in some gems by recruiting too early and not having the budget to get in some really good loans too.

Also I think getting in really good players takes a bit more time compared to just signing anyone due to the player having lots of offers from other teams.

In terms of players that are available, id like to see us have a go at the likes of Peter Grant, Brody Paterson, Charlie Telfer, Luca Connell and Russell McLean.  

.....Paterson is supposedly signing for Raith, training his week....    Luca Connell has just signed a 3 year deal with an English championship side (Barnsley I think)

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

All the players I feel would improve and build on a successful team from last season, let's hope we see that pen soon 📝