The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

In a couple of words.... An honest pro.

The most technically gifted player? No 

A rampaging attacking full back? Nope 

But you will get a team mate who will try his hardest and try and be as important a member of the squad as he can, whether that's starting at right back, filling in on the left where he's visibly weaker, I'm sure he even played centre half or that's where he LIKES to play.  I think for that league you've got yourself a good, versatile hard working squad member.

Thank you for the information.

Adam Corbett is currently our first-choice right-back (and Callum Yeats is the premier choice on the left), so I reckon Scott Walker's been brought in to add depth to our defence. I hope he can do us a good turn!

We've signed Scott Walker from yourselves - he's not a player I know much about, but what can we expect?
He's been billed as a full-back that can play on the right and the left.

Walker’s a player I wanted to do well but I honestly wasn’t particularly keen on. I was never convinced by his actual footballing ability but he was somewhat redeemed by the fact he clearly tried his hardest and his effort could never be doubted. For someone that definitely looked a level below most of his teammates he actually made quite a lot of appearances, which I think is testament to how highly Murray thought of him and rated his work rate and attitude. Certainly not much of an attacking full back though, highlighted by a moment towards the end of last season where he knocked the ball past an opponent, beating him with his pace and someone behind me in the crowd exclaimed in total shock “Scott Walker beats a man!” It really was that rare an occurrence and usually he plays it very safe on the ball.

He sometimes looked decent in games we were more dominant in so dropping down a level could be a good move for him. Definitely a player I hope does well and a player I think could do well in League Two.

27 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed Scott Walker from yourselves - he's not a player I know much about, but what can we expect?

That’s a better move than I expected Walker to get. He isn’t as good as Corbett or Yeats but he should be fine as backup. I think he appeared out of nowhere starting at right back in a game against Cove a couple of years ago and made a bad mistake which cost a goal, before disappearing for a while only to somehow become a regular during our great run at the end of the season. He was in an out of the team last season but it’s telling that Murray played Scott McGill at left back for so long and also kept signing right backs to play ahead of him. 

Walker works hard and is generally ok defensively but doesn’t offer too much going forward. The difference in our attacks down the right when Walker came in for Watson was noticeable, though I think that’s as much a clear lack of confidence carrying the ball forward as it is down to ability. He mostly played right back for us but filled in at left back on occasion and even in midfield once or twice. After one of our many victories at Falkirk, Murray said Walker was naturally a centre back but I think he only played there on the last day against Peterhead when we played a full reserve team.

I certainly wish him all the best. He just wasn’t ready or capable for top end League One football but he generally did a turn when he did play, even if he was clearly weaker than the rest of the team. In a league with no clear favourite, Stenhousemuir seem to be building a handy looking squad. 

Edited by Mr November

Dear Club 1924 Members,

We were hoping you had forgotten about the ties. Sorry for the delay but we have been super super let down by our suppliers who mostly all died of COVID.

Be patient, keep sending us your money and you'll get to buy your season ticket a few days before the great unwashed get their grubby mitts on them.

Apologies in advance regarding the imminent delay in sending out your season ticket cards. It's tradition that these will not be available until early September to coincide with the new home kit launch. The kit suppliers and the season ticket suppliers have really really been hit hard with COVID.

Please bare with us while we try to get our shit together.

Look at the pics of our new pitch while you are waiting. It's mint!

Love

Airdrie FC

4 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Peterhead away on the first game of the season, carry out has already been bought! 

That and Montrose away on Christmas eve caught my eye straight away for that! Those fixtures do show how tough this league could be, every team we play in August alone will fancy themselves to be in the top four. 

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

That and Montrose away on Christmas eve caught my eye straight away for that! Those fixtures do show how tough this league could be, every team we play in August alone will fancy themselves to be in the top four. 

Yeah couple of good away days on good dates, the run in towards the end of the season doesn't look to great mind you.

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He'll try hard but ultimately not good enough.

The fixture list in August shows how important it is that we get off to a good start unlike last year and get the recruitment right, plenty of exciting fixtures to start off with.

The trips to Peterhead and Palmerston. I imagine I will need a new liver come September with those long bus journeys 🍺😁

2 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

The scenes when mystery unannounced signing 4 sets up mystery unannounced signing 2 for the winner up at Balmoor at the end of July!

F843BB28-AF5B-49ED-9590-F127943714F3.jpeg

Winning the internet for the day at 10am is an impressive feat!

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Whether he does or he doesn't you'll still take it personally. 

He's bound to, he's one of the best strikers in this league?

On 08/07/2021 at 23:26, airdrieman said:

Gary Holt missing out on another ex Livi player? 👀 

Yeah I would very much expect so. I think it’s an excellent signing, especially on a two year deal. He’s exactly the sort of striker we need IMO. Can hold the ball up well, works hard and harries defenders and we don’t really have another forward like that. AND he can score goals. He must be the best of the strikers who are still available and I reckon he’s still one of the best strikers in this league.