The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just looked at McFarlane's stats. Only played 29 games for Diamonds over two spells.
In 256 professional games, he scored 5 goals. A poor return, but 3 of those for Airdrie ; so acceptable for us.

He was a defensive midfielder, I don't think scoring goals would have been high on his agenda.

21 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Just looked at McFarlane's stats. Only played 29 games for Diamonds over two spells.

In 256 professional games, he scored 5 goals. A poor return, but 3 of those for Airdrie ; so acceptable for us.

Last time I heard Homer was a coach at Brentford done well for himself there 

Another Neil McFarlane in the making. Well more or less.
Bring it on.

There’s a name from the past! Thought McFarlane was outstanding for us that season. Really controlled the midfield well. If we could get someone like him I’d be very happy.

I’ll take the 7ft West Ham striker over MacLeod though, we’ll need goals!

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I can't say I've followed his career closely but a cursory glance at Wikipedia (which admittedly could be inaccurate) would suggest he's struggled with injuries since 2015 more-or-less. Would be a gamble as he'd no doubt command a good wage still but he was a very talented player and is still only 27/28. Get and keep him fit and he'd be a tremendous pick up. 

Nevertheless this is exactly the sort of transfer rumour we're after!

His open goal interview wouldn't fill you with confidence as he didn't seem that upbeat about his injury.

Whilst it was in February this year, he said he was in rehab but still experiencing pain in his knee but hopefully would be looking for a club soon. A £100 per week and the rest pay as you play if ever i saw it but having said that it would be chance to put him back in the shop window or sadly his career over. 

Edited by Kenny_m

Couple of links to Brentford in the past page! MacFarlane is indeed a coach at Brentford and is really highly thought off. Probably the ugliest football player I've ever seen right enough. 

MacLeod also played for Brentford, he was absolutely crippled by injuries, he had a long, long layoff in the hope it would rectify his problem, however any time he got back he'd be out again in weeks, absolutely crippled by injuries. 

It was obviously at a much higher level than this but when he did play he just tended to ghost through games. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

His open goal interview wouldn't fill you with confidence as he didn't seem that upbeat about his injury.

Whilst it was in February this year, he said he was in rehab but still experiencing pain in his knee but hopefully would be looking for a club soon. A £100 per week and the rest pay as you play if ever i saw it but having said that it would be chance to put him back in the shop window or sadly his career over. 

Upon further reading I don't think he's ever actually played a whole season of football, and he's been around for 10 years now. That's a lot of football to miss. Clearly a talent but one we'd be taking a hell of a chance on. Would genuinely be a difference maker if it pays off but could be a season defining failure if it doesn't. A part-time pay-as-you-play deal may be best for both parties. Wikipedia also says he's doing his coaching badges so even if he can't play maybe he's our man in the dugout? He fits the age profile anyway! 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Couple of links to Brentford in the past page! MacFarlane is indeed a coach at Brentford and is really highly thought off. Probably the ugliest football player I've ever seen right enough. 

He wears baldness well though. Should have done it years ago. 

See McInroy has been snapped up by Kilmarnock.

Think he could do a job for them, after playing against them in the Championship I’m sure a few sat up and took notice. Just hoping he gets a chance to shine and doesn’t end up a bench warmer. Or maybe he’ll end up going out on loan. [emoji849] good on him, he went from L1 to Championship to top flight within a few months

That’s a fair jump for McInroy. It’s easy to forget that he was only with us for just under two and a half months and only played 12 games. He made a big impact during that time though and showed he was far too good for this level. I thought he might have been better staying at Airdrie for the full season given the good publicity he was getting here but I don’t think a Premiership team would have signed him on the back of a great season in League One, so it’s fair to say he definitely made the right move proving himself at a higher level. 

I watched the video of all the goals from last season that the club posted recently. I certainly didn’t enjoy seeing them as much as I did previously knowing the outcome of the season but what a ridiculous amount of great goals. There must have been at least 15 that would make the shortlist at the end of a normal season. It was noticeable that even for the goals he didn’t directly score or assist, Easton was often involved in the build-up to other goals but it was reassuring to see every other player still at the club involved pretty regularly though. Gallagher and now Smith are proven scorers at this level, McGill (if he’s staying) had a decent return given his injuries, Frizzell needs more goals/assists but is always involved in anything positive, Watson had some outstanding crosses, McCabe is great from set-pieces and Fordyce popped up with a couple of goals too. Even Salim appeared a few times, albeit other than that Dumbarton goal it was just him wildly celebrating Afolabi’s goal against Montrose and being the loudest commentator on the planet. Hopefully we get some news this week of some players to come in and build around them, as I think we have a decent core there.

10 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

What’s brody Paterson like is he any good for championship level?, he’s supposedly training with us and gaffer is keen to sign him up. thought I would ask this thread as you’ll know him well? 

He was very good for league 1 level, excellent at going forward and a great wing back. Albeit a few bad performances in the play offs, for being as young he's very consistent. If Murray is looking to play the same attacking style football as he did here, he'd do great for you 👍 

12 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

What’s brody Paterson like is he any good for championship level?, he’s supposedly training with us and gaffer is keen to sign him up. thought I would ask this thread as you’ll know him well? 

I posted this about him in the Raith thread earlier.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

That looks about right for Paterson. He was very good for us in games where we dominated (basically everyone other than Cove and the play-off games) when he could drive forward with Callum Smith cutting inside from the wing. Up until the play-offs I thought he was a certainty to be in the Championship next season, most likely with Airdrie, but he struggled in the big games and didn’t look great defensively. We played very open, attacking football which did leave him exposed occasionally though and Murray seemed keen on him. He likes to run with the ball and was good at linking with Easton and Smith down our left wing. He’s definitely got a lot of potential and sounds like a real change from Liam Dick.