The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Is this implying that other deals are basically done and just not announced? Because realistically the “player brought in” so far is Ballantyne and even though I’m very happy with his signature and the players we’ve kept from last season, it’s not really much of a squad yet from what’s been officially announced.

Yeah.

As Kenny_m says training starts on Saturday. My guess would be the new players will check in later in the week with social media team there for interviews and photos. 

They seem very upbeat about the work that's been done so I'm intrigued to see who we've got. 

10 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Yeah.

As Kenny_m says training starts on Saturday. My guess would be the new players will check in later in the week with social media team there for interviews and photos. 

They seem very upbeat about the work that's been done so I'm intrigued to see who we've got. 

Cheers, it's the waiting it plays tricks with the mind. 

11 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Yeah.

In fairness it seems like 99% of clubs these days announce their new signings with the accompanying social media pic. Even the junior clubs are doing it.

9 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Cheers, it's the waiting it plays tricks with the mind. 

My reply was to Shine On You Crazy Diamonds question on whether anymore signings had been made but not announced.

I'm not sure about Afolabi. I haven't heard any names. 👍

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Afolabi not true then?? 

I saw the post you’re referring to. I think it was more in jest/in hope (delete as per your interpretation) but the big man isn’t somebody I would be re-signing. He’s best left as a memory or something of a cult hero from his play-off performance. Certainly, if you got that player I think he would be a decent and effective player at this level. Only trouble is I don’t think that’s the player you’d get every week, whether it’s down to inconsistent skill, motivation or application. 

8 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Training could just be eight boys (manager and assistant included) kicking shots into Davie Hutton

That would be disappointing as it would mean missing out on one of the great preseason pastimes, spotting jobber trialists in the background of training pictures and trying to work out who they are.

I’m not too concerned about the lack of signings so far. If we get to Saturday and it is still the current nine players then that wouldn’t be ideal but it sounds like the club have things under control.

22 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Has Gabby McGill signed the contract extension? Not been announced on social media or that.

I think he already had a 2 year deal I may be wrong. But if you go to airdrie fc and squad he's one of the 10 still there so it looks like he's signed up 

1 hour ago, Afc88 said:

I think he already had a 2 year deal I may be wrong. But if you go to airdrie fc and squad he's one of the 10 still there so it looks like he's signed up 

Had a look at the archives from when he signed, doesn't specify how long the contract was for so seems to be a bit of a mystery. Compared with Salim and Callum Smith's signings they did specify it was two years with them. Seems odd that there hasn't been much of a mention of him.

I don't dispute the league will be very tough, but the 'league is far stronger than last year's' thing is being way over played. It's really not.
Cove have switched with QOS, I will eat my hat if QOS get anywhere near Cove's total.
Dunfermline replace Queens Park, who despite being average last year turned it on in the play-offs blocking off that promotion route for us. And they obviously beat Dunfermline who will hope to be better but is an unknown.
Edinburgh City replace Dumbarton which I'd assume will be much of a muchness.
Kelty for East Fife is the obvious (probable) upgrade, but they are an unknown quantity so will have to wait and see.
Montrose will hopefully be worse with us taking one of their best players, I'd imagine they'll be their usual though.
All that considered the league will be similar, the basis for the whole 'league will be far tougher' comes down to the expected improvement in Falkirk. Which I'd also expect, but given the last 3 years I'll wait and see before predicting that they'll be high flying title challengers.
Not for a second saying the league wont be difficult, but I don't think it will be much worse overall than last year. I'd expect the points tally required to win it will be lower which means we wont have to go on a 20 game unbeaten run to get close, but will certainly need to get results against the other challenging sides - something we normally don't do.

I think you've got your comparisons wrong. I think Dunfermline are a fairer comparison with Cove; two sides with very good budgets, particularly for this level. And Kelty are a replacement for Queens Park; two sides who are bankrolled.

I don't think we can really be compared with any side. We're just another side that will/should be competing at the top end. Edinburgh may well be a downgrade on Dumbarton but were either side likely to compete at the top end? Falkirk will have their shit together next season now they have a competent manager.

I reckon Airdrie, Montrose, QoS, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Kelty will be seriously competing for 4 places next season unless one of them has a disaster of a season. The 79 points is mental. I'll be surprised if any side gets to that total given the competition but anyone who gets that will absolutely win the league. It seems to be the average for this level to win the league. It's only been drastically more than that in the last 10 years. By The Rangers with 102pts and funnily enough, QoS with 92pts. Cove's points tally wasn't particularly impressive tbh.

25 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Had a look at the archives from when he signed, doesn't specify how long the contract was for so seems to be a bit of a mystery. Compared with Salim and Callum Smith's signings they did specify it was two years with them. Seems odd that there hasn't been much of a mention of him.

Dean Ritchie was the same last season. Never announced as a 2 year deal when he signed in 2020 and nothing was said about him either way last pre-season. Yet he obviously remained part of the squad so could well be Gabby is in the same position this season. If he was leaving I’d have thought they’d have announced it by now so we’ll no doubt see him in pre-season. 

So I wasn’t even going to put this one out there, but since we are all starving for updates from the club I’ll get a rumour going. Taxi driver on Saturday night, who’s bother in law is connected to the club(you can smell the BS already). Says that Lewis MacLeod was in the frame as he looks to return to football after a bad injury. He apparently knows Rhys from the Rangers academy. Don’t know much about the player other than he was destined for big things and got blighted by injury. Don’t believe a word of it myself, unsure if he’s contracted elsewhere etc but an excellent midfielder when fit by all accounts. It seems some other business has already been done by the club, just need some announcements. Prefer anyone we sign is fully ‘fit’ and ready for a hard long season

So I wasn’t even going to put this one out there, but since we are all starving for updates from the club I’ll get a rumour going. Taxi driver on Saturday night, who’s bother in law is connected to the club(you can smell the BS already). Says that Lewis MacLeod was in the frame as he looks to return to football after a bad injury. He apparently knows Rhys from the Rangers academy. Don’t know much about the player other than he was destined for big things and got blighted by injury. Don’t believe a word of it myself, unsure if he’s contracted elsewhere etc but an excellent midfielder when fit by all accounts. It seems some other business has already been done by the club, just need some announcements. Prefer anyone we sign is fully ‘fit’ and ready for a hard long season

If he’s had serious injuries then it’s hard to know how well he’ll do or how far he’s fallen from the form of his early career. But if we got half the player Rangers had as they romped this league I think we’d be onto a tremendous signing.

As you say though, plenty of folk out there that talk shite to make themselves sound well-informed and well-connected to a stranger.

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If he’s had serious injuries then it’s hard to know how well he’ll do or how far he’s fallen from the form of his early career. But if we got half the player Rangers had as they romped this league I think we’d be onto a tremendous signing.

As you say though, plenty of folk out there that talk shite to make themselves sound well-informed and well-connected to a stranger.

Would make sense as he was on Open Goal a month or two ago talking about wanting to find a club close by as he’s now a fully qualified PT as well I’m sure

34 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Would make sense as he was on Open Goal a month or two ago talking about wanting to find a club close by as he’s now a fully qualified PT as well I’m sure

He's from Wishaw so that makes sense

23 hours ago, airdrieman said:

it’s down to inconsistent skill, motivation or application. 

.....and considerable cost/wage from the limited comment that has come my way.

Edited by diamondman

3 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

I can't say I've followed his career closely but a cursory glance at Wikipedia (which admittedly could be inaccurate) would suggest he's struggled with injuries since 2015 more-or-less. Would be a gamble as he'd no doubt command a good wage still but he was a very talented player and is still only 27/28. Get and keep him fit and he'd be a tremendous pick up. 

Nevertheless this is exactly the sort of transfer rumour we're after!