The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Given we signed a left back yesterday then McCann will be second choice unless the plan is to play him further up. He's been a disappointment tbh, expected a lot more from him. A lot might depend on if he has any sort of clause in his contract. 

Think a large part of Leon McCann's success at Airdrie was down to Fordyce playing at the back.

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Given we signed a left back yesterday then McCann will be second choice unless the plan is to play him further up. He's been a disappointment tbh, expected a lot more from him. A lot might depend on if he has any sort of clause in his contract. 

I don’t think Falkirk got the best out of ANY of their players last year.  The manager should know that he was a bit of a standout a couple of seasons ago, lots of potential.  So a little surprised that the new signing has come in, Leon may want a change but yes, money talks.  Fully expect him to stay at Falkirk - pity we can’t get him on loan 😜

22 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Friendly wise. We're taking part in that cup competition over at Broadwood again. I think it's Stirling Albion that's taking Clyde's place. 

I heard there were some other deals done (other than Gabby no names) but haven't a clue why they haven't been announced. Hoping it's just folk on holidays rather than deals falling through due to change of manager. 

This time of year is always frustrating. Must check the Twitter page every couple of hours hoping something pops up. 

The Lanarkshire Cup is in 3 weeks,  still no official word is it because we haven't confirmed we will be taking part...b

hopefully the deals apparently done will be unveiled soon,   still not convinced we will b e shopping for the game changing players Telfer, Burke etc,  I think we might sign 4 experienced players and the rest loanees and youth rejects, which will not be enough to challenge....

The pyramid system is fairly putting a rocket up league 2 and Lowland leaguers,    Stenny have  signedCraig Bryson on a reported 700 a week parttime,   Lowland League EK paying McHugh 500 a week and non league Darvel signing for far skipper Ross Meechan on 400.    Our highest earners have been 500 a week  full time  is Football changing and running the *Hybrid* has no real benefit with lower league teams blowing our Part Time wages out the water   (All Wages are rumoured and have been mentioned in previous threads)

36 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The Lanarkshire Cup is in 3 weeks,  still no official word is it because we haven't confirmed we will be taking part...b

hopefully the deals apparently done will be unveiled soon,   still not convinced we will b e shopping for the game changing players Telfer, Burke etc,  I think we might sign 4 experienced players and the rest loanees and youth rejects, which will not be enough to challenge....

The pyramid system is fairly putting a rocket up league 2 and Lowland leaguers,    Stenny have  signedCraig Bryson on a reported 700 a week parttime,   Lowland League EK paying McHugh 500 a week and non league Darvel signing for far skipper Ross Meechan on 400.    Our highest earners have been 500 a week  full time  is Football changing and running the *Hybrid* has no real benefit with lower league teams blowing our Part Time wages out the water   (All Wages are rumoured and have been mentioned in previous threads)

TBF we’ve only lost Easton, Currie and Agnew as regular starters from last season, and lots of folk wouldn’t have even had Agnew starting if they had their way. Plus Currie obviously had his faults. Discounting the goalie we’ll be after a starting centre-half, left-back, Easton replacement and an Agnew replacement and/or another striker. Make *good* additions in these areas and then pad the squad out with loanees or young players and we’re not in a dissimilar position squad wise to last season. Indeed we might even be better given the aforementioned criticisms of Agnew, Currie and not having a proper centre-half or left-back most of the season.  Would that be enough to challenge? Who knows but I don’t see why not. The league looks stronger on paper but not convinced by Kelty squad wise or the managerial merits of Potter, McPake, Gibson or Rice. Though of course we might well have our own problems in that department depending on how good McCabe turns out to be. Falkirk might be good or they might remain an omnishmables. And Queen’s Park showed you can be average the entire season, as long as you finish 4th you’ve got a chance. Ultimately we’d have preferred that plus promotion than the season we had regardless of how good it was and, whatever happens, 4th shouldn’t be outwith our capabilities. 

That’s obviously a positive spin on things but ultimately, you can’t make any predictions or be pleased or disappointed until the final squad is in place and league games have begun. 

43 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We did finish 2nd in the league last season and narrowly missed out on going up. Our signings so far. Cammy Ballantyne who was in the PFA team of the season, who quite a lot of championship teams would of taken too. David Hutton is a superior back up goalie to Jay Cantley. 

Why would players not want to come to Airdrie either? I have faith that we will be able to still recruit decent signings and put up a challenge next season. 

If we use the loan market wisely and make some signings similar to Cammy Ballayntyne there is no reason why we couldn't make the play offs again.

Although the lack of news csn be frustrating, I have faith in McCabe to get it right, and even it could be an improvement on Murray. 

The team we had last season was pretty special and we have kept a lot of the core squad, our time will come eventually.

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

TBF we’ve only lost Easton, Currie and Agnew as regular starters from last season, and lots of folk wouldn’t have even had Agnew starting if they had their way. Plus Currie obviously had his faults. Discounting the goalie we’ll be after a starting centre-half, left-back, Easton replacement and an Agnew replacement and/or another striker. Make *good* additions in these areas and then pad the squad out with loanees or young players and we’re not in a dissimilar position squad wise to last season. Indeed we might even be better given the aforementioned criticisms of Agnew, Currie and not having a proper centre-half or left-back most of the season.  Would that be enough to challenge? Who knows but I don’t see why not. The league looks stronger on paper but not convinced by Kelty squad wise or the managerial merits of Potter, McPake, Gibson or Rice. Though of course we might well have our own problems in that department depending on how good McCabe turns out to be. Falkirk might be good or they might remain an omnishmables. And Queen’s Park showed you can be average the entire season, as long as you finish 4th you’ve got a chance. Ultimately we’d have preferred that plus promotion than the season we had regardless of how good it was and, whatever happens, 4th shouldn’t be outwith our capabilities. 

That’s obviously a positive spin on things but ultimately, you can’t make any predictions or be pleased or disappointed until the final squad is in place and league games have begun. 

Can see you have been taken some positive pills like myself 😝

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

This cant be sustainable though on the crowds these teams are getting, I understand it if its a one off push to get out a league but you cant be paying £700 a week to players on crowds of 300-400. Its been interesting to see the way the pyramid system has been working with Cove and Kelty making an imediete impact but sooner or later a team will come up and go straight down again you would think

7 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Probably nothing but I noticed that Fernandy Mendy and some French chap that played for Queen’s Park a couple of years ago liked our tweet about the new pitch. 

New pitch is looking good! 

21 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

This cant be sustainable though on the crowds these teams are getting, I understand it if its a one off push to get out a league but you cant be paying £700 a week to players on crowds of 300-400. Its been interesting to see the way the pyramid system has been working with Cove and Kelty making an imediete impact but sooner or later a team will come up and go straight down again you would think

Also I’m not sure we are shopping in the same market as the likes of Darvel, East Kilbride and teams at tier 5 and 6 anyway. Obviously you get a few outliers (Easton, the Cove team, Nathan Austin) but most of the players in these teams are pretty ordinary and would be playing at that level anyway (or the arse-end of League 1/2) and are quite rightly collecting the pay cheque. 

Craig Moore and probably Iain McShane and Bob McHugh would get a game at this level. Not convinced about anyone else though. 

8 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Murray tried to sign him last year and I believe had spoken to him again before going to Raith.

McCabe and Telfer were at Rangers at the same time so be interesting to see whether he goes for him.

The stats you posted below speak for themself mate it’s a decent return Telfer in a poor side. 

Players notoriously play poorer in a Falkirk shirt as well. Sure he would do well if something did materialise.

Didn’t know the Telfer McCabe connection hopefully Rhys at least asks the question.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Likewise I don’t know the ins and outs of what teams pay but I thought it was encouraging we managed to get Easton from Kelty last season another team you’d imagine would be chucking hefty money about. 

We have the bonus of offering full time and barring Arbroath we are the highest placed team with part timers. Not all doom and gloom. We might not be the most attractive proposition but far from the worst.

Edited by Diamond10

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

If we use the loan market wisely

This is key as most players are signing 1 year deals anyway so signing a loan doesn't make much difference these days. However they've got to improve your side and be first picks in your team. Paterson & McInroy did last year but Devenny, Afolabi (only woke up in the play offs) McGill (in and out) & MacDonald (injury affected) did not really contribute much.

Perhaps i'm a bit unkind to Scott McGill but if we we had everyone available last season he would have been on the bench.

As someone mentioned earlier perhaps the colt teams in the Lowland League may affect this. Not sure if they are allowed promotion but they do have to include 7 Scottish players in their starting line up. 

39 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

This is key as most players are signing 1 year deals anyway so signing a loan doesn't make much difference these days. However they've got to improve your side and be first picks in your team. Paterson & McInroy did last year but Devenny, Afolabi (only woke up in the play offs) McGill (in and out) & MacDonald (injury affected) did not really contribute much.

Perhaps i'm a bit unkind to Scott McGill but if we we had everyone available last season he would have been on the bench.

As someone mentioned earlier perhaps the colt teams in the Lowland League may affect this. Not sure if they are allowed promotion but they do have to include 7 Scottish players in their starting line up. 

The loan system has a bit of Russian roulette about it,  to be fair Murray worked it pretty well, over the years we have had a fair few duds via this system also,  if loanees are taking up 25% of your squad they really need o be on point..

another bug bear of mine (not another one you say) is our reluctance to give out 2 year deals to players and Manager,  alright I know we signed CB,  have CS and SAL on 2 year deals from last year.....that's the reason we are in this state(what state) Easton who was and is the best player to play for ourselves in a generation  walk off into the sunset with Murray just ahead of him,   let's be blunt we have given 2 year deals to players not due them,  Conroy and Page the worst , Keiran MacD was decent enough though...

looking at our rivals Falkirk, Dunfermline and QOS are signing well  mostly on 2 year deals we must have ambition and match them it is the only way to get the extra quality to compete , the League is stronger this year....

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The Colts teams were in the Lowland League last year and we still got loan players so I don't see why it would be any different. 

There's no reason why we couldn't go for colt players who are playing in the Lowland league. Players like Owen Moffat would benefit from playing better opposition in league 1 as opposed to playing the Civil Service Strollers and Stirling Uni.

10 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Likewise I don’t know the ins and outs of what teams pay but I thought it was encouraging we managed to get Easton from Kelty last season another team you’d imagine would be chucking hefty money about. 

We have the bonus of offering full time and barring Arbroath we are the highest placed team with part timers. Not all doom and gloom. We might not be the most attractive proposition but far from the worst.

Cove part time too 

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The Colts teams were in the Lowland League last year and we still got loan players so I don't see why it would be any different. 

Ok, just read the details of Colt clubs with regards to next season and they are classed as "guest clubs"  for 1 season only therefore i assume promotion is off the table which would have been a big issue especially for the old firm clubs. However the SFA are leading a review into the pyramid structure for 2023/2024 so further changes will no doubt happen then.