The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably because they're Championship quality players and you've been down here for a while. Similarly I wouldn't know many League 1 and 2 players. Can't really comment on Henderson tbh but Reilly, Wilson and Donaldson would get in to any side in this division and could all easily do a job in the Championship as well.

Watched a fair amount of championship games last year and can't say I remember any of them. May very well be great signings for ye but your squad went down without a whimper last year. And again as much I liked currie , put a cross near him and he's lost. I'm not not overly worried...

Bookmark this for when you scud us 4-0...

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nah I'd say the opposite tbh. Players are likely to hold out for as long as possible. They won't jump at the first offer that comes their way. We're still waiting to hear back about players from last season we've made deals to. They won't take the offer until they know what else is available. Given our squad was assembled late on last season and we saw the calibre of players that attracted (the dregs no one else wanted in a lot of cases) I think I'm much happier getting players signed early.

I'll grant you Quitongo though. He seems to have been floating around here for a while and maybe couldn't believe his luck a FT side wanted him but I'd say he's a rare example rather than the norm.

Probably because they're Championship quality players and you've been down here for a while. Similarly I wouldn't know many League 1 and 2 players. Can't really comment on Henderson tbh but Reilly, Wilson and Donaldson would get in to any side in this division and could all easily do a job in the Championship as well.

No caring how shite we are I still wouldn't want Reilly

Watched a fair amount of championship games last year and can't say I remember any of them. May very well be great signings for ye but your squad went down without a whimper last year. And again as much I liked currie , put a cross near him and he's lost. I'm not not overly worried...

Bookmark this for when you scud us 4-0...

Wilson was hellishly underused at Dunfermline which isn't a surprise given who the manager was. Donaldson is a solid Championship defender and Reilly has spent most of his career at that level. It's not even subjective to say they are 3 excellent signings for a League 1 side.

34 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Not really no, people were saying the same thing last season and we had a great team on the park. 

Out of the signings you mentioned the other big clubs have made you haven't really taken into account the whole picture. All of those clubs need a massive over haul of playing staff , 2 relegated clubs who went down without any real fight and a Falkirk who need more than 2 players. Also you look at QOS , they are signing players other teams have binned, one from us and 2 from a poor morton team. 

Like I said I'm wanting signings as well but I'm not clambering for signings for the sake of it when we've kept a solid core together and managed to get rid of some players who just had no impact what so ever. 

Like others have mentioned folk will  be away on holiday , there's also wee things like if players are going from part time to full time they may need to hand in notices etc. 

Just don't get the "we're miles behind other teams" patter when the other teams are a riot. Or the lad a week or two ago saying our close season had been quiet when it had been 9 days...

Agree who has said " we're  miles behind other teams" patter ....

We will sign players soon enough,  we have struggled at the business end of the season with lack of depth,  I would hope that would be addressed also..   This looks like a terribly difficult league to get out of again this season....

Plenty teams are "Talking the talk" but can they "Walk the Walk"

Didn’t expect Chris Malone and Paul Keegan to get so much traction! Apologies 😂 

Here’s a proper one. Jamie Barjonas was at the Montrose play-off game. May well just be a coincidence as after all, the likes of Rankin and Kettlewell were all there and that came to nothing. But he did post on either Twitter or Instagram about what a great game it was. Plus he hasn’t signed a new contract at Kelty yet. 

Didn’t expect Chris Malone and Paul Keegan to get so much traction! Apologies [emoji23] 
Here’s a proper one. Jamie Barjonas was at the Montrose play-off game. May well just be a coincidence as after all, the likes of Rankin and Kettlewell were all there and that came to nothing. But he did post on either Twitter or Instagram about what a great game it was. Plus he hasn’t signed a new contract at Kelty yet. 

I’d heard a snippet that he was going to follow kev thomson wherever he went but seems he’s going to qpr as no2 so can’t imagine he’ll end up there.
More likely he would get a championship club but would be the perfect easton replacement.

2 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

Not really no, people were saying the same thing last season and we had a great team on the park. 

Out of the signings you mentioned the other big clubs have made you haven't really taken into account the whole picture. All of those clubs need a massive over haul of playing staff , 2 relegated clubs who went down without any real fight and a Falkirk who need more than 2 players. Also you look at QOS , they are signing players other teams have binned, one from us and 2 from a poor morton team. 

Like I said I'm wanting signings as well but I'm not clambering for signings for the sake of it when we've kept a solid core together and managed to get rid of some players who just had no impact what so ever. 

Like others have mentioned folk will  be away on holiday , there's also wee things like if players are going from part time to full time they may need to hand in notices etc. 

Just don't get the "we're miles behind other teams" patter when the other teams are a riot. Or the lad a week or two ago saying our close season had been quiet when it had been 9 days...

Morton offered contracts to both Wilson and Reilly so were hardly “binned”

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nah I'd say the opposite tbh. Players are likely to hold out for as long as possible. They won't jump at the first offer that comes their way. We're still waiting to hear back about players from last season we've made deals to. They won't take the offer until they know what else is available. Given our squad was assembled late on last season and we saw the calibre of players that attracted (the dregs no one else wanted in a lot of cases) I think I'm much happier getting players signed early.

I'll grant you Quitongo though. He seems to have been floating around here for a while and maybe couldn't believe his luck a FT side wanted him but I'd say he's a rare example rather than the norm.

Henderson a class act. Big centre half but couldn’t get into team cause of ToB and Little, played left back against you in the game we won 2-0 at Palmerston. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wilson was hellishly underused at Dunfermline which isn't a surprise given who the manager was. Donaldson is a solid Championship defender and Reilly has spent most of his career at that level. It's not even subjective to say they are 3 excellent signings for a League 1 side.

I would concur totally.

Wilson is exactly what we need, big, strong, aggressive midfielder and not without ability either. I watched Morton v ICT late last season and thought he was man of the match by a mile. He's a great signing for QOS.

Reilly's pace will cause teams problems at this level.

Donaldson's pedigree suggests that he will also be a great signing and again a big strong powerful player that would have been ideal for us but probably out of our price bracket. (Having said that, looking at the Falkirk thread and their £900k deficit, probably out of theirs too)

16 hours ago, Passionate said:

That's how far the club has progressed from the Malone, Keegan days they were a struggle....

No white smoke coming from the Excelsior all quiet,    when is the Alan Go w Chinese Youth Academy getting unveiled,    Championship winning playears signed,  not to mention a qualified coach ( We can have more than one you know)..

Interesting couple of posts on the face book group ,  a member of the inner sanctum posted ( now taken d own). Pre season will be starting around the 18 th,  most teams are back around the 11th,  Some teams  are playing friendlies on the 21st and basically don't expect any news on signings etc for another fortnight or so...

last year we were on point signing wise Frizz signed last season on the 5th June, Dylan and McCabe were  the 11th June....  

There is plenty time admittedly,  but the other 3 expected top teams budget wise seem to be getting a head start on us,  

Here's some movement on the backroom staff. Not sure of the circumstances behind the departure of McMenemy (and his son) as it doesn't appear he's went with Murray.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2223-news/220607/vacancy%3A-first-team-physio?fbclid=IwAR2qRyXXZHm6ZKuKpQcBHYcLZLm60ft2R0PaE1tba4CgUgtoc5WPo4Zad8s

Edited by Kenny_m

With a lot of chat about other clubs finances at the moment does anyone have any idea what scale our financial operating numbers sit at. Are we running at a loss or breaking even?

Edited by cb_diamond

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

With a lot of chat about other clubs finances at the moment does anyone have any idea what scale our financial operating numbers sit at. Are we running at a loss or breaking even?

Company check will tell you where we are. Well it might if you understand accounting but it i'm sure it's fair to say that PH isn't relying on dividends from the club as his source of income!

Come back and explain all!

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Company check will tell you where we are. Well it might if you understand accounting but it i'm sure it's fair to say that PH isn't relying on dividends from the club as his source of income!

Come back and explain all!

As luck would have it posted on twitter not long ago.

image.png.9eafde6e25319c54fa4432b51582b122.png

25 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

If liabilities are more than assets, how do you make a profit? I know little about accounts but does that show the football club can keep going because the stadium company supports it? Anyway where are the signings! 

I'm sure someone will decipher but not me.

It looks like we have PH to thank for being in the black. Having said that benefactor or not, I'll take 90k+ profit over an operating loss approaching a million quid for a year in the third tier any day of the week! 😂

Edited by cb_diamond

If liabilities are more than assets, how do you make a profit? I know little about accounts but does that show the football club can keep going because the stadium company supports it? Anyway where are the signings! 

Some liabilities may be non current (not due within the accounting period)

For example if the stadium has 1 million on the mortgage if there was one and the payments are 5k a Month only 60k would be recognised as a liability in that year with non current liabilities being 940k based on this example.