The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The important thing is 2 year deals are being offered,  players want a little more security when joining a club,  if players are scouted properly then that should lessen the risk, we have been stung with Page, Conroy etc although every signing has a risk ....in saying that one year deals have a place for the squad fillers in all teams (subs).  

apparently QOS have offered our summer target Grant Savoury a 2 year deal......

Any further word on the support system for Rhys any runners and riders

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The important thing is 2 year deals are being offered,  players want a little more security when joining a club,  if players are scouted properly then that should lessen the risk, we have been stung with Page, Conroy etc although every signing has a risk ....in saying that one year deals have a place for the squad fillers in all teams (subs).  

Any further word on the support system for Rhys any runners and riders

There's also times when players would prefer a 1 year deal too though. Particularly if you are a promotion chasing club like us and the player is young and fancies themselves to move up the leagues regardless of whether the club does. A 2 year deal means that if your team doesn't get promoted you are stuck in the same league for another year. Someone like Callum Smith is probably an example of this, if he'd been on a 1 year deal I'm sure a Championship club would have taken him this summer, as it is he's still in League 1. Of course the flip side for a player is that if he'd had a stinker of a season, or got a serious injury, we'd have released him and he'd have no club now. I guess it's all down to how much faith the player has in their own ability and/or whether they can afford to take the risk of a 1 year deal. In general I agree it's better to be able to offer 2 year deals because it's almost impossible to build a team otherwise. It also ensures more buy-in from the squad because promotion/relegation actually affects them.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

43 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I would be making him a better offer. Something we need to do if we're serious about winning the league.

26 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I would be making him a better offer. Something we need to do if we're serious about winning the league.

Seen on twitter that Josh Rae had shared that tweet about Savoury being away, would think if Savoury signs for us, Josh Rae would follow suit.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

This.  Some would call me arrogant, but if we want to have a serious campaign this season and Savoury WAS one of our main targets then we need to put some of our resources into securing his signature and stop him from going elsewhere.  I know clubs don’t get to sign everyone that they want but this seems to be a very doable addition to the team. Board have to work with Reese to get this over the line if its that important to our plans 

Seen on twitter that Josh Rae had shared that tweet about Savoury being away, would think if Savoury signs for us, Josh Rae would follow suit.
Be very surprised if rae signed for you was excellent for us thought he would be targeting a gig a in championship at the least.

31 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:
10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Be very surprised if rae signed for you was excellent for us thought he would be targeting a gig a in championship at the least.

Compensation required to QOS

52 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:
10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Thought the same about Cammy Ballantyne but we managed to get that over the line on a two year deal despite him rumoured to be going to a championship team. Josh Rae already rumoured to be signing for Carlisle by a few posters on here anyways. But for Grant Savoury I think both Airdrie and yourselves have offered him a two year deal.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Where did you hear this, out of interest?

Just rumours going around at our end our summer targets were Ballantyne, Brown and Savoury,  only heard of QOS the other day, he might not sign for any one of us, I expect him to be unveiled somewhere in the next few days... I dont know where the Josh Rae GK talk is,  we are apparently going down the premiership loan keeper route.

question would you guys take Connor Murray back....

Just rumours going around at our end our summer targets were Ballantyne, Brown and Savoury,  only heard of QOS the other day, he might not sign for any one of us, I expect him to be unveiled somewhere in the next few days... I dont know where the Josh Rae GK talk is,  we are apparently going down the premiership loan keeper route.

question would you guys take Connor Murray back....

It would be a very meh addition. I wouldn't be annoyed but I certainly wouldn't be excited by it. He'd probably be solid enough signing at this level but being greedy I'm hoping for something better than Murray.

Happy to see Hutton back. He gets a lot of stick from supporters of other clubs, but he was genuinely a very good goalkeeper (a deserved PotY) and won us more points than he lost. I've seen a few people say he's a downgrade on Currie but really what's important is that he's an upgrade on Jay Cantley and he's a sub goalkeeper we can rely upon if he's ever called upon. Besides, if the boy from Celtic (or whoever we sign) is any good he'll hardly ever play. Plus it's always nice to have players, coaches and staff who love the club and who it means a lot to which definitely comes across as the case in Hutton's interview. And, as said previously, Hutton on the touchline will be a right laugh. McCabe and Fordyce obviously trust his judgment as a player and a coach which should count for a lot. 

Cammy Ballantyne on a 2-year deal is an ideal bit of business. A few more deals of that calibre and we'll be grand. 

Edited by airdrieman