The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

@Shandön Par had mentioned him the other day. Sounds a decent signing on paper tbh. The fact his time coming to an end at the pars being more of a natural endpoint as opposed to a "you're pish, beat it" scenario seems promising, as does the fact he's back to full fitness.

Just got over 2 years of injury. Would be an excellent signing if he stays fit. Right footed but left back is his best position. Good at centre back and can play at right back. 

I wanted us to offer him a deal, but understand why we've let him go.

On 30/05/2022 at 08:05, Shooter McGavin said:

He will also get everyone back for corners which often meant the ball was fired back into the box as the clearance would goto an opposition player. 

Will be interesting to see if McCabe adopts that same approach. 

Murray out.

fairly uninspiring from a QOTS perspective, reasonable enough players but not ones to strike fear in the opposition...

Has a goalkeeper ever struck fear into the opposition?...

So that's Murray and Agnew away to Raith with Aggy ironically hanging the boots up with old father time catching up with him in the playoffs..

Gk coach Jim Low and the physio and data analyist away also,  is anybody aware of the reas o me why they left or is it just a natural ending with Murray moving on..

We have a lot o do most Full Time teams go back o n Saturday week,  feels like we are still grieving the play ofF defeat..  When does our preseason training start....

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has a goalkeeper ever struck fear into the opposition?...

fair enough @19QOS19i suppose what I meant was if (when) we are signing players who have been kicking around this level and dont like having much potential to play any higher I would be a bit concerned about the calibre of player coming in. This isnt to say we have a beter squad the qots as we dont at present, just that neither I dont think, add much to a team wanting to win the league

fair enough [mention=12169]19QOS19[/mention]i suppose what I meant was if (when) we are signing players who have been kicking around this level and dont like having much potential to play any higher I would be a bit concerned about the calibre of player coming in. This isnt to say we have a beter squad the qots as we dont at present, just that neither I dont think, add much to a team wanting to win the league

Looking at it from last season I'd say it's harsh to say Currie doesn't add much to a side wanting to win this division. He was the GK in the second best side in the division last season. If he has better defenders around him next season (not saying we have a better defence as it's too early to say. Purely hypothetical) then I don't see why there's no reason he couldn't go one step further.

Quitongo I'm more concerned about but I'm happy with Currie at this point.

48 minutes ago, Passionate said:

So that's Murray and Agnew away to Raith with Aggy ironically hanging the boots up with old father time catching up with him in the playoffs..

Gk coach Jim Low and the physio and data analyist away also,  is anybody aware of the reas o me why they left or is it just a natural ending with Murray moving on..

We have a lot o do most Full Time teams go back o n Saturday week,  feels like we are still grieving the play ofF defeat..  When does our preseason training start....

18th of June

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Looking at it from last season I'd say it's harsh to say Currie doesn't add much to a side wanting to win this division. He was the GK in the second best side in the division last season. If he has better defenders around him next season (not saying we have a better defence as it's too early to say. Purely hypothetical) then I don't see why there's no reason he couldn't go one step further.

If Quitongo is going to start for you I would already say your left side of defence will be weak as he's utter trash. 

If Quitongo is going to start for you I would already say your left side of defence will be weak as he's utter trash. 
He's been given No. 3. so I assume he'll be a starter. Though if we re-sign Cooper that may change.

15 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Just got over 2 years of injury. Would be an excellent signing if he stays fit. Right footed but left back is his best position. Good at centre back and can play at right back. 

I wanted us to offer him a deal, but understand why we've let him go.

Osunds like the kind of utility player we'd appreciate then. Someone who can cover a multitude of defensive positions. Decent. 

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Defensively we were 4th best though, whereas goals scored we were second best. Clearly that isn't just down to Currie but it maybe gives a better idea of his contribution than saying we finished 2nd. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure our possession stats would have been the highest (if not the highest, still pretty high) last season as we dominated most games, which would also have protected him as a lot of the time he didn't have much to do.

On the other hand I do think our centre back pairing of McCabe and Fordyce aren't the type of defenders Currie needs, well McCabe anyway. They were both great and helped in other ways but McCabe particularly isn't a commanding physical defender which is what Currie needs in my opinion. We lost a stupid amount of goals from punts/crosses into the box - the Montrose play-offs were a great example.

Like I said on the Queens thread he'll do an okay job I'd imagine. With goalies sometimes a known quantity like him is better than taking a risk on a new one which is what we are doing (although I'm happy we are).

Defensively we were 4th best though, whereas goals scored we were second best. Clearly that isn't just down to Currie but it maybe gives a better idea of his contribution than saying we finished 2nd. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure our possession stats would have been the highest (if not the highest, still pretty high) last season as we dominated most games, which would also have protected him as a lot of the time he didn't have much to do.
On the other hand I do think our centre back pairing of McCabe and Fordyce aren't the type of defenders Currie needs, well McCabe anyway. They were both great and helped in other ways but McCabe particularly isn't a commanding physical defender which is what Currie needs in my opinion. We lost a stupid amount of goals from punts/crosses into the box - the Montrose play-offs were a great example.
Like I said on the Queens thread he'll do an okay job I'd imagine. With goalies sometimes a known quantity like him is better than taking a risk on a new one which is what we are doing (although I'm happy we are).
Time will tell I suppose. I'm not absolutely buzzing with the signing as I have no clue what he's like as a GK tbh. But realistically our targets this season are higher end L1 players and if we're lucky, lower end Championship players. So for me in a basic sense has ticked that box. I'm happy enough with that. I doubt any signing would beat Josh Rae anyway tbh but hopefully he can do a decent job for us.