The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

After Easton, Frizzell was the player I was most worried about losing. Delighted to see him sign back on. He obviously had offers from elsewhere so it suggests that players are happy to play for McCabe which is encouraging. That’s everyone apart from Gabby signed up now isn’t it? Hopefully get news on that soon as well as further new additions. 

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Jonathan Page! Jesus wept! PTSD memory stuff there! He was brutal.

Hilariously, loads of Falkirk's garbage are apparently on three year deals 😂

You are thoroughly obsessed. I strongly recommend you find something better to do and spend some time away from p&b 

You are thoroughly obsessed. I strongly recommend you find something better to do and spend some time away from p&b 

Says the guy posting on a Saturday night in a thread of a club he doesn’t even support.

30 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

Thanks for your observation and interest in me, given that I've no idea who or what you are though you'll forgive me for breezing past your advice. Now back from whence you came. 😘

22 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There's not really any basis for saying this. I went and looked at the stats from this season. Firstly, Gallagher was the top scorer in the division from open play. Megginson and McAllister shared 10 penalties between them which put them ahead of Gallagher who doesn't/didn't get to hit them because of McCabe and Easton, but if Gallagher hit our penalties he'd have been top scorer, even if he missed a couple of them.

The other claim is that his build up play etc isn't great which overall I'd agree with, but in terms of assists he had the same as McAllister (2) and 4 less than Megginson. I know there is more to build up play and all round striker play than assists, but when you combine goals from open play and assists he was just as productive, if not more so, than the Cove pair in virtually the same number of appearances.

If you include Smith and Gallagher as a pair who look like being our main strikers at the moment, they scored a combined 27 goals in the 36 game league campaign, with 0 penalties. The Cove pairing scored 34 including 10 penalties. Again, in open play our attackers were more productive. Therefore to claim we need better, when they have already shown last season they are just as productive as the league winning strikers, is just wrong. Many fans, including myself on numerous occasions, bemoaned our lack of a top striker to win us the league but actually when you break it down that wasn't the issue, it was defensive solidity to see out big games that Cove had and we didn't.

I'm not claiming Gallagher is anything special, or that he is going to lead us to a title, but what is clear is that with the right service around him he absolutely can be part of a promotion winning team. The big change this year is no Easton who played a big part in Gal and Smith's goals. But on the other hand the right forward position was a real weak link this year and a better signing there could cancel out Easton's loss. Has Gallagher got limitations? Absolutely. But as has been said numerous times strikers who score more than 15 goals a season and have an all round game to match do not sign for League 1 sides. That doesn't mean we shouldn't also try and sign someone else too, we should. But given the contribution highlighted above it was a no brainer to re-sign him

Spot on great post. Gabby can get a few goals and salim if fit could be a big player 

7 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Thanks for your observation and interest in me, given that I've no idea who or what you are though you'll forgive me for breezing past your advice. Now back from whence you came. 😘

You disregard the view of people you don't know? How narrow minded, to be expected of Airdrie fans I suppose. 

A satisfying Saturday - 2 key players and hoping for Gabby to sign up to keep everything a bed of roses.  Would love Paterson to come back in at LB, would make our defense the best in the league IMO.  I know he’ll probably be off to the Championship but if that doesn’t work out I’d take him in a minute.  We scored lots of goals, but conceded some bad ones also.  We need to firm things up, especially with an improved Falkirk and Dunfermline on the schedule.  And Montrose always seem to score against us.  Any other prospects out there at the LB position? 

11 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

You disregard the view of people you don't know? How narrow minded, to be expected of Airdrie fans I suppose. 

Meh, even though faux superiority is so on trend for Falkirk fans. You're not even doing that well. Can only imagine how grim it must be to be irrelevant and a fan of your team. You have my condolences irrelevant guy.

5 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

This guys shortlist for Falkirk going very well so far

IMG_1519.png

😂 you have to admit, if you drew up a list of potential players who could make up L1s ‘team of the year’ for the coming season, these two players would be on there.  Very please with our business the last 48 hours and I’m sure we’ll have some good additions coming.   I think Falkirk are just lumbered with too many long term contract issues and players who aren’t cutting it for McGlynn.  I see another frustrating season for Falkirk but I DO think they will get to the playoffs.  Mind you, I’ve said the same thing the last couple of years 😳

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

A satisfying Saturday - 2 key players and hoping for Gabby to sign up to keep everything a bed of roses.  Would love Paterson to come back in at LB, would make our defense the best in the league IMO.  I know he’ll probably be off to the Championship but if that doesn’t work out I’d take him in a minute.  We scored lots of goals, but conceded some bad ones also.  We need to firm things up, especially with an improved Falkirk and Dunfermline on the schedule.  And Montrose always seem to score against us.  Any other prospects out there at the LB position? 

I saw Dunfermline released Lewis Martin, who both McCabe and Fordyce played with there. I think he's more of a centre back who can also play left back, so maybe not as adventurous as Paterson, but he's someone who was quite highly rated a few years ago but seems to have struggled with injuries since and perhaps a fresh start is needed. He seems like the kind of player who might end up joining us. 

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

This guys shortlist for Falkirk going very well so far

IMG_1519.png

Can't argue with Falkirk Network's wish list. We're all League 1 experts here but McGlynn isn't, just the same as Ian Murray knows f**k all about The Championship! If only we had a young, ballsy, passionate, popular new player/manager with an intimate knowledge of where we're at and what we need to do to get out of it. We've done well to sign up Ballantyne and retain Frizz. Onwards & upwards!

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Just had a look at that Falkirk network page, he certainly writes like a couple of their thicker posters on here. 

Must feel really big when you go on the Clydebank p&b forum to mock a kid's twitter account. 

27 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

Must feel really big when you go on the Clydebank p&b forum to mock a kid's twitter account. 

To be fair I've spent all season laughing at the bairns so it is kind of on trend.