The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You're right, and it's interesting if you look back over the last 5 years or so, how many players that we've released have moved up the way? Literally the only one I can think of who has sustained a place in a better team is Scott Stewart (although even then I don't know if he chose to leave).

To your list you could add McIntosh, Cammy Russell, I even remember a bizarre fuss over Chris O'Neill being released. There are numerous more and they've all pretty much gone downwards. There's been a couple like Ally Roy who on the face off it moved up a league but all they've done is managed to trick another club into signing them and have been quickly found out at a club who got relegated.

One thing the club have got right in recent years is being more ruthless with who we move on which I think is shown by our steady improvement year on year.

I'd add Sean Crighton to that list too. A good servant for us but not up to it at the top end of League 1 anymore. Some of the comments afterwards were ridiculous - folk calling him a 'legend' when he's nothing of the sort. The hyperbole actually makes you angry! 

The brouhaha over Chris O'Neil leaving was maddening also. His maw and others on the Facebook group going on about how he was lowballed and it was a disgrace to the extent that Stuart Millar had to come onto the group, and the podcast, and clarify what had happened. Turning down our offer worked out well for him! Certainly worked out well for us anyway. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

More excellent news RE Watson. A good League 1 right-back, decent going forward, can cover a couple of positions, has a physical presence and a real leader and good professional. Now announce Frizzell! 

Is Frizzell staying At Airdrie? there has been some talk that he has offers from Us and Queens Park and what’s his main position? 

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

Murray wanted and more or less agreed terms was Scott Brown from Peterhead, unfortunately now the lad looks like following Murray to Raith,

Obviously I don’t know watch Peterhead where does that Scott Brown play? Don’t know much about the lad (if he is a target) because if it’s defence then cool, midfield don’t think he has any chance of getting in

Edited by RRFC_Liam

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Obviously I don’t know watch Peterhead where does that Scott Brown play? Don’t much about the lad (if he is a target) because if it’s defence then cool, midfield don’t think he has any chance of getting in

Midfielder.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Midfielder.

Cheers I don’t think he’ll sign then because apparently we’re close to agreeing terms with Spencer about a new deal so we will have 5/6 midfielders on the books if Agnew is registered as a player as well

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Cheers I don’t think he’ll sign then because apparently we’re close to agreeing terms with Spencer about a new deal so we will have 5/6 midfielders on the books if Agnew is registered as a player as well

I wouldn't think Agnew is intending playing.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

I wouldn't think Agnew is intending playing.

Your probably right, I think we will register him tho, because we normally have about 6/7 players out at once during the season so he could play if needed type basis but need to wait and see I suppose 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

If Hutton is the sub goalie and goalie coach will that make him the de facto manager on a match day? That will be tremendous fun. If you thought Murray got booked a lot 😂

😂.  Tbh, I’d love to have Hutton back as a coach.  Good lad and him training a Celtic keeper.  Ironic!  Ballantyne can spill the beans about the ‘rebel’ tunes coming from the Mo dressing room a couple of seasons back. Lots of fun, excellent first training session coming up 😂😂.  Watson signing is fantastic, another one crossed off the list but I think we all want Frizzell signed.  He won’t be going to RR it appears, but the QP rumour could very well be true.  Hoping the good feel factor convinces him to stay put, the fans love him and he would be a good bit harder to replace.   So far I’m happy with how things are progressing but we are 3-4 key signings away from being as strong as last season.  Next week will be a busy one me thinks 

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Some good points but i assume the club statement below includes addressing the qualified coaches situation and backroom staff.

"We will ensure that a fully comprehensive support structure is put in place to support Rhys and Callum in their managerial journey at Airdrieonians"

With regards to Rhys taking the reigns i think it's fair to say it's a big risk and having a scan around it seems fans of other clubs don't regard it as a positive move with most citing it as a cheap option. Perhaps the philosophy is based on strenthening the budget on the playing side which i would be in favour of. It's all about what happens on the field!

Rhys did point out in his interview that "player talks" in some instances had been going on for weeks or even months so I would think you are bang on the money with regards to Ballantyne, Brown and Savoury and obviously this would apply also to our free list.

Certainly an interesting time but Rhys does seem to be a right cool customer.

Football as in life is all about learning from your mistakes and try not to repeat them......

Ian Murray was the beating heart  of the entire club, he moves on, if he was such an integral part of the entire operation why was he only on a one year deal and was allowed to run it down the same with our talisman Dylan Easton should his situation have been sorted long before season end ( should have been offered a 2 year deal when he signed same as Raith  gave him ironically) same situation with Leon McCann previously does great runs down his one year deal and signs a 3 year deal with Falkirk....

Onto this year much sought after Cammy Ballantyne signs to the seethe of Falkirk etc,  if he is only on a one year deal,   a number of clubs will be  watching his progress and could sign him in January on a PCA,  ..Groundhog day...

Moving forward does the club need to take more of a risk contract wise ( been burnt before with Conroy, Faria etc). ....if not we will struggle to unearth gems on a yearly basis and keep the club in a consistent top 4 position...

Interested in others thoughts on these matters...

Really good news about Frizzell. Realistically that's everyone bar Dylan Easton that we generally wanted to keep signed up (with debates around Max and Kerr). We are in such a better position than we were a week ago.

12 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Football as in life is all about learning from your mistakes and try not to repeat them......

Ian Murray was the beating heart  of the entire club, he moves on, if he was such an integral part of the entire operation why was he only on a one year deal and was allowed to run it down the same with our talisman Dylan Easton should his situation have been sorted long before season end ( should have been offered a 2 year deal when he signed same as Raith  gave him ironically) same situation with Leon McCann previously does great runs down his one year deal and signs a 3 year deal with Falkirk....

Onto this year much sought after Cammy Ballantyne signs to the seethe of Falkirk etc,  if he is only on a one year deal,   a number of clubs will be  watching his progress and could sign him in January on a PCA,  ..Groundhog day...

Moving forward does the club need to take more of a risk contract wise ( been burnt before with Conroy, Faria etc). ....if not we will struggle to unearth gems on a yearly basis and keep the club in a consistent top 4 position...

The thing about tying down players to more than a year is that they have to accept those terms. It sometimes suits players to sign 1 year at a time. Nature of the game these days across the lower leagues. 

Can also go catastrophically wrong to sign someone on a 2 year deal or more, johnathon page for example...or half the Falkirk team  

35 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Should probably explore the football manager contract options of extensions kicking in after x games and other clauses like that, if they are somehow viable in the real world.

A lot of it ultimately comes down to the player being willing to sign on the terms offered however. It could be that they prefer 1 year deals?

25 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Can also go catastrophically wrong to sign someone on a 2 year deal or more, johnathon page for example...or half the Falkirk team  

Jonathan Page! Jesus wept! PTSD memory stuff there! He was brutal.

Hilariously, loads of Falkirk's garbage are apparently on three year deals 😂

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

o far I’m happy with how things are progressing but we are 3-4 key signings away from being as strong as last season

We still must have around 14 players to sign yet which will no doubt include several loanees, so loads to come yet but remember we need to be stronger than last year.

38 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

The thing about tying down players to more than a year is that they have to accept those terms. It sometimes suits players to sign 1 year at a time. Nature of the game these days across the lower leagues. 

Agree that it's the league we're in. If we'd made it to the Championship then it could have been oh so different.

31 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Jonathan Page! Jesus wept! PTSD memory stuff there! He was brutal.

Hilariously, loads of Falkirk's garbage are apparently on three year deals 😂

Loads as in 2 from the 14 that remained from last season? Brad Mckay and Leon Mccann. Lol