The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think Gallagher is one of the most underrated strikers we’ve had for years. He consistently scores just under 1 goal for every 2 starts which is pretty good going at this level. Is he as good as someone like Megginson? Clearly not, but other than an injury prone Simon Murray, I think he’d improve and start for every other team in the league last season. Gallagher has his limitations and there’s always one run during the season where he really frustrates me and needs dropped but he always comes back to pop up with some vital and memorable goals. 

He has a challenge every season (Andy Ryan joining in January 2020, Ally Roy’s good form in pre-season, Afolabi joining this season etc) yet it’s Gallagher who keeps on being offered a new deal. There’s a reason for that. Ideally we’d have a better all round striker but I think we’re very unlikely to find that within our budget and having someone who knows where the ball is going to fall in the box is a great asset.

Some of the fans attitude towards Gallagher reminds me of when Rangers fans used to go mental about Kris Boyd cause he only scored 20 a season and offered nothing else.

Why would you get rid of a proven striker with a good scoring record when realistically there is no guarantee you are able to get that type of striker elsewhere, especially when the Falkirk Galacticos are hoovering up all the goal machines like Leigh Griffiths.

18 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Anyone who can control the ball, run fast, pass the ball to another person in the same jersey and score into a keeper-less net from 2 yards will do. 

Also, if he’s so prolific then why haven’t a championship or bigger league 1 side came in for him? Surely a stick on 15 goal a season striker catches the eye nah? 

How many career goals have you got if it is that easy?

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

If all players not mentioned sign up we’ve got the following foundations of a squad:

Fordyce, Watson, Frizzell, McCabe, Gallagher, Kouder-Aissa, McGill & Smith

I’d be delighted with that. Gives McCabe plenty room to bring in his own players to improve the team.

If you'd offered me losing Easton, Agnew and Currie as starters from last season but keeping the above I'd have taken it. Assuming they all sign on again of course. Easton as an individual is irreplaceable but a couple of smart additions and there's no reason why our midfield can't be improved upon or more effective than it was last season. 

35 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I just don’t think he fits in with our ‘style’. He really lacks the technical side of the game and is painfully slow. Not to mention the sitters.

Fair enough, he gets a decent goal tally but there are plenty of strikers that could score just as many and still contribute more assists in this league. Even a striker that would scored half the number of goals as Gallagher but provided consistency and possessed the fine art of staying onside would be an improvement in my books.

Last season it was clear that he was miles off it in comparison to the rest of the team. Was really evident in the QP playoff games. Afolabi was hopeless at times but actually held the ball up, picked a pass and could beat a man (when has Gallagher ever beat a man?). Gallagher is like a holding/target man/one on one hybrid but fails to do any of them effectively.

Trust me, if yous are happy with Gallagher, you’ll be delighted with what else is out there!

Isn't the point though that actually, there isn't? I can't really add more to what others have said and what I've said before but we'd be daft to release a striker who's guaranteed to bag you about 15 goals a season. We have Allan and Afolabi to replace. Neither of whom will have been on much (at least at our end) but I think there will be scope to bring in at least one more forward. McGill is a decent option off the bench and has shown he can start games and do well for us. Salim is also to come back and will hopefully prove a decent option. He hasn't played much at all the last couple of seasons because of injury, and he hasn't actually played all that much beyond League 2, but if he does well then quite possibly we won't even need another striker. 

Anyone who can control the ball, run fast, pass the ball to another person in the same jersey and score into a keeper-less net from 2 yards will do. 

Also, if he’s so prolific then why haven’t a championship or bigger league 1 side came in for him? Surely a stick on 15 goal a season striker catches the eye nah? 

1. Because league 1 is his level
2. In the last couple of seasons, airdrie have been one of the bigger and best teams in the league. Cove already had two decent strikers. Falkirk went with LG. Gallagher maybe likes it at airdrie and is quite content to stick about

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

1. Because league 1 is his level
2. In the last couple of seasons, airdrie have been one of the bigger and best teams in the league. Cove already had two decent strikers. Falkirk went with LG. Gallagher maybe likes it at airdrie and is quite content to stick about

He's also part-time and I think lives in Glasgow, so there isn't really a better League One team who can offer him a part-time deal. I don't think he would do anywhere near as well in the Championship but as far as League One strikers go, he's been one of the best for the last four seasons now.

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

He's part-time and I'd imagine Airdrie would be one of the better paying clubs for part time players. He's also 27 so will likely have a job outside of football and realistically if you're leaving Airdrie to 'step up', you'll be going full time.

He scored 15 goals last season which is a good return for a player as hard-working as he is. For all people like you seem to think scoring goals in League 1 is easy, there are only five players to have broken 20 league goals since the 17/18 season - Shankland, Trouten, Goodwillie, Linn and Nisbet. Two of those five have went on to score for Scotland and one had previously.

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Good 1!

Some of our support are just ungrateful fannies, if Gallagher goes away next season then we get a striker in who doesn't cut the mustard it will be posters like you lamenting the lack of 10-15 goals a season strikers we have.

No quibble about the released list. Walker kind of reminded me of Sean McIntosh, reasonable player in most mid/defence areas but did not kick on. Big debate about Allan earlier on thread but never quite convinced. The really marginal rest are unlikely to impress elsewhere and I will grovel if it happens. 

Kerr and Currie I could make a case for but I don't see it as a great loss. 

Time to add some more in the areas others have mentioned. I always liked Scott Brown at Peterhead but maybe that's McCabe's role? Over to you Rhys.

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

He's also part-time and I think lives in Glasgow, so there isn't really a better League One team who can offer him a part-time deal. I don't think he would do anywhere near as well in the Championship but as far as League One strikers go, he's been one of the best for the last four seasons now.

If we have any aspirations of winning the league then Gal cannot be our No 1 striker, simply we will need better.

Dunfermline have Todorov, Wighton, O'Hara & McCann and perhaps made add to. I'd take anyone of them over him.

I've long believed that to win League 1 you need to have 4 or 5 players that could comfortably play in the Championship.

We need to sign Gal as he contributes a fair few goals each season, we’ll need that.  But agree that we need another striker signed up to create competition. Who that is? No idea.   I’m sure McCabe has some names in mind.  And Salim will hopefully be back in Autumn.  I wouldn’t mind resigning Paterson at LB.  I know he faded in some bigger games but overall he was a solid player. Guessing the cousins didn’t see enough to get the magic pen out. He’s out of contract with Celtic, right? 

Edited by FLDiamond

3 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

We need to sign Gal as he contributes a fair few goals each season, we’ll need that.  But agree that we need another striker signed up to create competition. Who that is? No idea.   I’m sure McCabe has some names in mind.  And Salim will hopefully be back in Autumn.  I wouldn’t mind resigning Paterson at LB.  I know he faded in some bigger games but overall he was a solid player. Guessing the cousins didn’t see enough to get the magic pen out. He’s out of contract with Celtic, right? 

Yes, him and Jonny both leaving Celtic in the summer. Would happily take Brody back, thought he was poor in the playoffs but was impressed with him in the lead up to the playoffs.

Just now, AJ77 said:

Yes, him and Jonny both leaving Celtic in the summer. Would happily take Brody back, thought he was poor in the playoffs but was impressed with him in the lead up to the playoffs.

Brody was a done deal on the basis we got promoted, not sure what situation is now with us failing to reach the Championship.

1 minute ago, KD1711 said:

Brody was a done deal on the basis we got promoted, not sure what situation is now with us failing to reach the Championship.

Yeah probably holding out for a championship move now, Ballantyne and Brody would be 2 solid full backs for this league.