The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

If all players not mentioned sign up we’ve got the following foundations of a squad:

Fordyce, Watson, Frizzell, McCabe, Gallagher, Kouder-Aissa, McGill & Smith

I’d be delighted with that. Gives McCabe plenty room to bring in his own players to improve the team.

That's 14 players in total departed including the loanees.

Watson, Frizzell, Gallagher & Gabby McGill look like being offered new terms.

Busy period coming up from the pen of Stuart Mathie!

33 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

If all players not mentioned sign up we’ve got the following foundations of a squad:

Fordyce, Watson, Frizzell, McCabe, Gallagher, Kouder-Aissa, McGill & Smith

I’d be delighted with that. Gives McCabe plenty room to bring in his own players to improve the team.

My only concern with that is that could well be our allocation of strikers with Smith, Gallagher, McGill and Salim. We'd need some amount of quality in midfield for that to be enough for a real promotion push.

Thinking about it I'd probably release McGill if we keep Gallagher, and then take a punt on someone new. If the 'someone new' isn't great we'd still have Gallagher and Salim as the tried and tested centre forwards.

11 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Ideally, I’d like to see Gallagher away for someone with a bit more about him as I can’t deal with another season of sitters being missed. 

If the rumours are true then he may be off to Clyde. 

Gallagher is always good for 13-15 goals a season, despite being frustrating at times. I also think he was top scorer in the league from open play last season? A guy basically guaranteed to get goals isn't something we can throw away.

My only concern with that is that could well be our allocation of strikers with Smith, Gallagher, McGill and Salim. We'd need some amount of quality in midfield for that to be enough for a real promotion push.
Thinking about it I'd probably release McGill if we keep Gallagher, and then take a punt on someone new. If the 'someone new' isn't great we'd still have Gallagher and Salim as the tried and tested centre forwards.

I wouldn’t class McGill and smith are strikers. Smith is better coming off the wing.

As mentioned, Gallagher can be frustrating but he is a proven scorer at this level. Would be daft to throw that away at this moment

4 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Gallagher is always good for 13-15 goals a season, despite being frustrating at times. I also think he was top scorer in the league from open play last season? A guy basically guaranteed to get goals isn't something we can throw away.

38 goals in 89 starts (with 12 sub appearanes), it's not that far off a goal every 2 games. As you allude to he hasn't ever hit penalties due to Carrick and McCabe being good at them. If he did like most strikers he'd be sitting pretty much bang on a goal every 2 games. Regardless of his flaws and limitations a team like us would be foolish to release someone like that. We should be keeping him but also trying to add another striker who could turn out to be an improvement, but if he wasn't that great we'd still have a good option in Gallagher.

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I wouldn’t class McGill and smith are strikers. Smith is better coming off the wing.

As mentioned, Gallagher can be frustrating but he is a proven scorer at this level. Would be daft to throw that away at this moment

That's my issue with McGill, I'm not sure what he is. He certainly isn't a wide player so if he's not a striker I'm not sure what he is.

The released didn’t seem that big to me until I realised with loanees returning it actually only leaves four players in negotiations on top of the four signed up. I love Easton but I said before McCabe was always the priority for me (although I didn’t expect him as manager) and Frizzell was my player of the year vote so I’d be very happy for us to keep both.

Not really much to argue with in terms of who has been released. Currie, Kerr, and Allan probably at the top end of the released list where it seems they could have stayed and we probably wouldn’t be up in arms if Gabby had been released but, the comings and goings (within our control) thus far seem absolutely fine.

Excited to see who we bring in now that we’re getting to that stage. Best thing under Murray for me was recruitment, so it’ll be interesting to see how we get on with that now he’s away.

28 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

We still haven't replaced him with anyone half as effective, and our fans said exactly the same about him being easily replaceable when he left. 

He's awkward and ungainly to watch. But he's a very consistent goalscorer at this level. You'd be mad to let him go imo.

29 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

I just don’t think he fits in with our ‘style’. He really lacks the technical side of the game and is painfully slow. Not to mention the sitters.

Fair enough, he gets a decent goal tally but there are plenty of strikers that could score just as many and still contribute more assists in this league. Even a striker that would scored half the number of goals as Gallagher but provided consistency and possessed the fine art of staying onside would be an improvement in my books.

Last season it was clear that he was miles off it in comparison to the rest of the team. Was really evident in the QP playoff games. Afolabi was hopeless at times but actually held the ball up, picked a pass and could beat a man (when has Gallagher ever beat a man?). Gallagher is like a holding/target man/one on one hybrid but fails to do any of them effectively. 

Trust me, if yous are happy with Gallagher, you’ll be delighted with what else is out there!

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We still haven't replaced him with anyone half as effective, and our fans said exactly the same about him being easily replaceable when he left. 

He's awkward and ungainly to watch. But he's a very consistent goalscorer at this level. You'd be mad to let him go imo.

Don't disagree but clearly a league 1 striker as his stats in the championship with St Mirren and yourselves are not great.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Name them.

Anyone who can control the ball, run fast, pass the ball to another person in the same jersey and score into a keeper-less net from 2 yards will do. 

Also, if he’s so prolific then why haven’t a championship or bigger league 1 side came in for him? Surely a stick on 15 goal a season striker catches the eye nah? 

Edited by Diamond1924