The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

19 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Got a feeling Frizzel will be signing on

18 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Just saw that on twitter. Hoping it’s a good sign

So we lose Murray, Aggie and Dylan but keep Rhys, Dycey, Frizz and Smith plus add Ballantyne and more to come? I'll take that left field gamble right now thank you!

Surely giving the job to someone already under contract has to be cheaper than making an external hire?

I'm sure McCabe is getting a salary bump in all this but no chance they've went all out behind a 29-year-old with zero managerial experience.

Its certainly different and maybe he'll turn out to be an inspired choice but seems a steep drop-off from Murray on the surface.

11 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Surely giving the job to someone already under contract has to be cheaper than making an external hire?

I'm sure McCabe is getting a salary bump in all this but no chance they've went all out behind a 29-year-old with zero managerial experience.

Its certainly different and maybe he'll turn out to be an inspired choice but seems a steep drop-off from Murray on the surface.

It does seem a strange one in saying that he has shown tremendous leadership skills last season and has the minerals to be a manager, whether or not this set up will work time will tell,    It does seem like the cheap option unless the savings  have been put back into the budget to increase wages etc...

The main positives are he is current and has plenty contacts in the game..

Cammy Ballantyne is apparently a done deal. (Murray signing)

It continues to be a whirlwind time for the Airdrie support

The first important thing is that Fordyce and McCabe have signed on again to play. If we'd lost them it would have been an entire rebuild for a new manager. For all the attention on the attacking players last season I always thought Fordyce was the one player we couldn't do without, he has held the defence together for a few seasons now. McCabe was also great and will be able to do a job in midfield and defence if needed.

From the management point of view it's a gamble, and we'll presumably need another coach because McCabe and Fordyce will be on the pitch. On and off the pitch McCabe has always seemed like a level-headed, calm and considered type of guy. None of that necessarily means he'll be a good manager but he seems to have the right characteristics. Recruitment is everything at this level so ultimately if he can attract some decent players and get them organised then he'll do fine. I think we had to move quickly to firstly keep the players that we want to keep, and secondly not be left behind with recruitment from elsewhere, so I'm glad it's sorted and hopefully everyone can put the play-off result behind us and look forward to the new season.

22 minutes ago, Passionate said:

It does seem a strange one in saying that he has shown tremendous leadership skills last season and has the minerals to be a manager, whether or not this set up will work time will tell,    It does seem like the cheap option unless the savings  have been put back into the budget to increase wages etc...

The main positives are he is current and has plenty contacts in the game.

Is there any manager in senior football that doesn't have contacts in the game?

23 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Is there any manager in senior football that doesn't have contacts in the game?

Is there any manager in the game that's not a gamble? 

McCabe knows the style of football we played that worked well last season. He will also know what went wrong and tweak it a bit. Think the majority of fans are happy about it and time will tell. But I reckon he will bring in some decent players over the coming weeks and retain the best of what's still there. Can't ask for more than that. 

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Is there any manager in the game that's not a gamble? 

McCabe knows the style of football we played that worked well last season. He will also know what went wrong and tweak it a bit. Think the majority of fans are happy about it and time will tell. But I reckon he will bring in some decent players over the coming weeks and retain the best of what's still there. Can't ask for more than that. 

It could well be a situation of the club realising that 4 years of hard graft could go straight in the bin with the High risk of McCabe, Fordyce etc leaving , which would mean a complete rebuild with a new management team and a freshly disillusioned fan base again..

This setup is BOLD and does keep the band together again somewhat,let's be honest we only have to finish a distant 4th to get out This League....

Definitely a surprising choice.   I did ask for the manager situation to be resolved quickly.    One question that does come up though is with a manager and assistant both on the pitch how does that work.    Delighted booth are staying but I've heard many times before their still needs to be someone on the sidelines to make decisions.    Good luck to both clearly they struck up a good partnership on the pitch last season so let's hope that continues.  

10 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Definitely a surprising choice.   I did ask for the manager situation to be resolved quickly.    One question that does come up though is with a manager and assistant both on the pitch how does that work.    Delighted booth are staying but I've heard many times before their still needs to be someone on the sidelines to make decisions.    Good luck to both clearly they struck up a good partnership on the pitch last season so let's hope that continues.  

I don’t know what Murray’s set up was for Airdrie in terms of Coaching/back room staff but surely if both are on the pitch wouldn’t 1 of the coaches not take charge? Because the only 1 of his team at Airdrie he’s bringing is Scott Agnew