The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

38 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I suppose last season was far too normal, winning most weeks and playing great football under a proven manager. We lacked the usual nonsense you get with Airdrie. Between this and the Alan Gow rumours, there’s potential for some classic Airdrie nonsense this season.

I have no doubt this is the China money financing things.

This is definitely NOT what I expected but I guess it’s worth trying and will most likely help the feel good factor at the club and may help keep the right players at the club.  I’ll be honest, was hoping for more experience in the dugout but if McCabe can keep most of the team together and use the ‘if it’s not broken, don’t fix it’ type of approach with just a few upgrades and changes then it may work.  Will be interesting to see the support they will get. Maybe Martin Ferguson calling on a certain relative to give advice? 😉. Good luck to both, they’ll have a hard job of it next season in this league 

2 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

It’s all happening tonight🤣 not sure Davie hutton would approve of a goalie coming in from Celtic right enough

Or Max Currie!

Hopefully this keeper is more of a McInroy/Paterson standard than Afolabi. Young keepers can be a risk but we have done well from Celtic loans recently.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Club has progressed the last  two years , no reason not to continue, quietly confident we will bring in the right players and manager to keep the challange next season, just my opinion but would like the backbone of the team to be Fordyce and McCabe and build from there, 

Well you got your wish Jack! 

Didn't see that coming to say the least. It's a huge gamble given the strong position we finished last season in but it's potentially an inspired appointment. McCabe is one of the best talkers and organisers and one of the most intelligent players I've seen in a diamond and he's been more or less a manager on the park anyway. As has Fordyce for his entire spell. I don't know the exact rules but I assume there will be another coach coming as you need a certain number of qualified coaches in the dug-out on a match day and Prunty doesn't have his badges? Auntie Shelley? :P They both come across as good guys and will have decent contacts. Didn't expect either of them to be putting these skills to management so soon but fair enough! Delighted that we'll be seeing them back in a diamond also. Looking forward to folk complaining about him taking all the set pieces, Prunty and whoever else is in the dugout being the real brains of the operation and paggering with his dad in the stand when it all goes tits up.

Full confidence in McCabe to carry us forward. He’s a professional and straight talking guy who has some serious contacts from what I’m hearing. 

He’s had a cracking career so far and is only improving it seems. I think he’ll attract some talented players and allow us to maintain our style of last season. 

Bold move but I feel this is just the start! 

I’m not entirely sure what to think of that appointment if I’m honest. It just all feels a bit rushed when you had a bit of time to see who applied/was interested but I suppose your board will be wanting to retain as many as last season’s squad as quickly as possible. 

I’m wondering if Murray maybe recommended him or something.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Wasnt sure about the appointment initially but coming round to the idea. As has been said above McCabe’s experience, leadership and knowledge of the game is clear to see. 

Think the relationship between the fans and players is as strong as I can ever remember so I’m sure him and Dycey will get plenty of time.

Hopefully an experienced coach is coming in to help out along with Prunty staying.

Edited by Diamond10

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

It's a bold one. Surely one of, if not the youngest manager ever in Scotland. But a class act and the kind of guy who can hopefully attract decent players.

Jamie McKenzie was Elgin manager for a couple of months when he was 25, but officially he was only a caretaker.

This is an extremely weird appointment on the face of it, but when it's this or some of the shite on the merry go round you're always likely to be happier with the left field gamble.