The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Very bold move. Didn’t know McCabe was involved in coaching or anything, let alone being close to taking on a management role. Good luck to him but I feel this could completely backfire.

It’s a tough time for a club in your position; performed well last season but failed to go up, with a number of players and the manger tempted by offers elsewhere.

I suppose last season was far too normal, winning most weeks and playing great football under a proven manager. We lacked the usual nonsense you get with Airdrie. Between this and the Alan Gow rumours, there’s potential for some classic Airdrie nonsense this season.

10 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

WOW. Didn't see that coming. It's a big ask to rebuild a squad and do both a playing and managerial role but I really hope it works out for him.

Has there ever been a L1 manager or even SPFL manager starting a season who is as young as McCabe? He'll be just turned 30 I believe.

Jim Duffy became Falkirk manager at 29. He was bald by then, natch.

After he resigned from us he went back to playing for Partick and Dundee!

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I thought you were just taking the piss about new signings but fair play :lol: 

This is wild. I’m not against it, we all know how much of an organiser McCabe is on the park and I certainly thought he would become a manager one day, just not just now. I trust the board’s judgement on this, none of the mentioned candidates jumped out to me as obvious successes so if they feel this is the way forward then I’m fully behind it. 

My main concern is the lack of an experienced assistant. I tend to think player-managers struggle as combining both jobs is incredibly difficult. It can work when there’s an experienced assistant in the dugout but you’d imagine both McCabe and Fordyce will play most games. The statement does say there will be support for them, so I hope the club are at least aware of this. The wording makes it sound like they’ll be given plenty of time anyway but I’m sure the fans will get behind them as I don’t think there’s a person at the club who didn’t rate McCabe‘s impact last season and Fordyce over his three seasons so far.

I'm the same. I thought since coming to us he was management material. He leader on the park last season. Just did not think it would be this soon. 

Fingers crossed the gamble pays off. 

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

He had a decent season but would imagine he’ll be much more of an assistant at that level rather than playing regularly. Not a huge loss on the park and whoever comes in as manager will probably want their own man in anyway.

It’s quite funny that one of the reasons he left East Fife to join us was the travelling from Ayrshire to Fife was too much for him and now he’s back up there. 

15 minutes less each way to get to Kirkcaldy. That extra 30 minutes each day makes all the difference. 

1 minute ago, Tory Boy said:

I'm the same. I thought since coming to us he was management material. He leader on the park last season. Just did not think it would be this soon. 

Is there more good news to come tonight do you think,

do the new managers both have their UEFA B coaching badges,   you need a minimum of 2 in the dug out,   I still think AlanGow is the elephant in the room I can  see a Director of Football operations number,   thoughts

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Jim Duffy became Falkirk manager at 29. He was bald by then, natch.

After he resigned from us he went back to playing for Partick and Dundee!

Wasn't aware of that. Played for 7 years after the 1 year spell as manager!

25 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Strange appointment and screams of Airdrie going for the cheapest of cheap options.

This is absolutely not a cheap option. 

14 minutes ago, smpar said:

Very bold move. Didn’t know McCabe was involved in coaching or anything, let alone being close to taking on a management role. Good luck to him but I feel this could completely backfire.

It’s a tough time for a club in your position; performed well last season but failed to go up, with a number of players and the manger tempted by offers elsewhere.

1 player, Easton, has been tempted away so far and we all expected him to be wanting to go to a higher level than where we're currently at. Agnew has left mainly to continue as Murray's assistant. Other players who have indicated on their social media that they were leaving were not offered new deals.

Strange appointment and screams of Airdrie going for the cheapest of cheap options.

Aye it’s more weird than bold as well. They finished runners up and are presumably staying FT. Could’ve probably attracted someone with a track record rather than just gambling on a 29 year old and his cousin.

20 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Agreed! Early last season I was saying to my mates that he's future captain material, always comes across as a passionate, hard working organiser. Street-wise with a bit of arrogance too. Was always impressed at his organisational skills on the park, particularly the way he talked the young yins like Brody/Scott McGill though games. Good luck to him, I'm sure it won't be dull with him in the hotseat!

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye it’s more weird than bold as well. They finished runners up and are presumably staying FT. Could’ve probably attracted someone with a track record rather than just gambling on a 29 year old and his cousin.

That’s a valid point - but when you see the same old names on the managerial Merry go round - Duffy, yogi Hughes, hopkin, McPherson etc etc then I think Airdrie may have made a decent change.  McCabe also knows the club really well too, the staff and obviously the players so it could work out well 

It did take me by surprise as others have said but I don't see it as weird or cheap. Rhys has been a good leader on the park and at least he will now play the position he sees as his best. Fordyce is an excellent CB in this league and having their relationship was a bonus last season. 

Yes it's a brave decision as Sir Humphrey used to warn of, but better than the magical mystery tour of failed dinosaurs. At least it has cleared away the downcast feelings of the recent period and I look ok forward to a solid squad development over the next days/weeks. Season ticket renewal in my diary.

Edited by Chapelhall chap