The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I don’t really believe in a player manager role. However, McCabe staying is a bonus. He has good experience even though he is still relatively young. Seems like a sound bloke as well and can imagine people would be keen to play under him. Guess it’s something different

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Strange appointment 

It's a bold one. Surely one of, if not the youngest manager ever in Scotland. But a class act and the kind of guy who can hopefully attract decent players.

Wow, that's a bit unexpected. You're probably glad it's not one from the usual merry-go-round of past has-beens though.

Seems a bit of a gamble going for a player-manager with little coaching/recruitment experience. Mind you, we're going down the same route at QOS, albeit with support from the more experienced Grant Murray. Time will tell.

WOW. Didn't see that coming. It's a big ask to rebuild a squad and do both a playing and managerial role but I really hope it works out for him.

Has there ever been a L1 manager or even SPFL manager starting a season who is as young as McCabe? He'll be just turned 30 I believe.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just now, Chubbychops said:

Never seemed a manager type personality. Bizarre appointment. Never know until you give them the chance I suppose.

Yer arse. Has been the most vocal player on the pitch and has talked players through games all season.

Not quite sure what to think… but hey ho I’m on board. 

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

WOW. Didn't see that coming. It's a big ask to rebuild a squad and do both a playing and managerial role but I really hope it works out for him.

Has there ever been a L1 manager or even SPFL manager starting a season who is as young as McCabe. He'll be just turned 30 I believe.

29, he's 30 in a couple of months

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

Has there ever been a L1 manager or even SPFL manager starting a season who is as young as McCabe. He'll be just turned 30 I believe.

Don’t think there’ll be anyone even close. 30 in July 

11 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

I’ve heard McCabe and Fordyce

I thought you were just taking the piss about new signings but fair play :lol: 

This is wild. I’m not against it, we all know how much of an organiser McCabe is on the park and I certainly thought he would become a manager one day, just not just now. I trust the board’s judgement on this, none of the mentioned candidates jumped out to me as obvious successes so if they feel this is the way forward then I’m fully behind it. 

My main concern is the lack of an experienced assistant. I tend to think player-managers struggle as combining both jobs is incredibly difficult. It can work when there’s an experienced assistant in the dugout but you’d imagine both McCabe and Fordyce will play most games. The statement does say there will be support for them, so I hope the club are at least aware of this. The wording makes it sound like they’ll be given plenty of time anyway but I’m sure the fans will get behind them as I don’t think there’s a person at the club who didn’t rate McCabe‘s impact last season and Fordyce over his three seasons so far.