The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

No reason for the club to go part time as far as I can tell. There’s more money to be made in the league with QOTS and Dunfermline replacing Cove and QP surely?

I'm thinking the same despite being told what I was tonight. He might not be fully up to date with the hybrid model and how the club works as he doesn't support Airdrie. But was wondering if anyone had heard anything along similar lines. Wouldn't deliberately put misleading information on here.

Strongly doubt the part time story , wires crossed maybe.

Also not overly worried about kerr or curry leaving. Pretty sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and the club are sitting being idle. 

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I agree with some of this, but 10 days after the final and the only news we’ve heard from the club is the managers away.
Slightly worrying thought we woulda heard a couple of resigning/releases.

And the lottery of course. And this is not a criticism of the social team. No one has been personal in any way. And it’s a legitimate point. They can only post the news if they’re given it. Just take a browse around other league one clubs. Plenty news/updates or just here is where we’re at news.

Edited by She who dares gins

10 minutes ago, Walter said:

When was it announced that he was off to Rovers? 

Not saying it’s beyond the realms of possibility just strange if Murray was on his way out since the end of last week. 

Would be delighted if we’ve pulled it off, however.

Edited by Diamond10

Murray said in his interview with Raith TV that he was still in discussions with players to come to us as late as Thursday night. With that in mind it’s not inconceivable to think we got/we’re getting deals over the line that’ll still go ahead - you’re not always selling the players on the manager alone, it’s the club as a whole. 

On the PT thing, I agree with those that say it’s highly unlikely. In fact, I wondered if we have been considering going entirely the other way and going fully FT. We have Smithy and Sal signed on FT deals already, if there’s any substance to the Cammy Ballantyne rumour, that’d be another one and I just have a feeling we’ll keep Dycey and McCabe, who are also FT.

If you look at the PT list from last season, it really wasn’t all that many players…

Currie, Aggy, Nacho, Gal, Pyott, Janny, Deano?

There may have been others but I don’t think so and even some of those guys may have been FT.

My point is Murray was never keen on the PT thing and maybe the plan was always to phase it out? Interesting that Currie is already gone - was he told by Murray he wasn’t getting a deal?

Interesting few weeks ahead! 

19 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Murray said in his interview with Raith TV that he was still in discussions with players to come to us as late as Thursday night. With that in mind it’s not inconceivable to think we got/we’re getting deals over the line that’ll still go ahead - you’re not always selling the players on the manager alone, it’s the club as a whole. 

On the PT thing, I agree with those that say it’s highly unlikely. In fact, I wondered if we have been considering going entirely the other way and going fully FT. We have Smithy and Sal signed on FT deals already, if there’s any substance to the Cammy Ballantyne rumour, that’d be another one and I just have a feeling we’ll keep Dycey and McCabe, who are also FT.

If you look at the PT list from last season, it really wasn’t all that many players…

Currie, Aggy, Nacho, Gal, Pyott, Janny, Deano?

There may have been others but I don’t think so and even some of those guys may have been FT.

My point is Murray was never keen on the PT thing and maybe the plan was always to phase it out? Interesting that Currie is already gone - was he told by Murray he wasn’t getting a deal?

Interesting few weeks ahead! 

I'm sure someone said Watson was offered a full-time deal, so you could well be correct and Max Currie's cousin has got things a bit mixed up. I'm not sure it would be the wisest move, I'm not sure we have the budget to go completely full-time and still have a strong enough squad without the part-time element but as you say, it doesn't seem like there were too many of them. I certainly trust this board to make a go of being full-time much more than Wotherspoon's jobbers. 

The club brought Murray in full-time when we had a fully part-time squad before we moved to the hybrid, so it's clearly something they were keen on. It would be a surprise to revert from that after relative improvement over the last few years with it.

In League 1 for a club like us I think you also have to look at what other clubs are in the league. Counter-intuitively, I think when you have 3 or 4 other well backed full-time teams you don't want to be going full-time. You just end up joining a saturated market for players and as we'll probably pay the lowest wages will end up with the worst players. Staying with a hybrid model at least allows you access to some players that those clubs can't get by getting the best part-time. Obviously they'll generally not be as good, but plenty of clubs have shown in recent years that good part-time can be as good as some of the full-timers.

If you had a league full of part-time teams then going full-time (even for a season) would be a no brainer as you'd have access to players that no-one else did. But at the moment it makes no sense in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

I liked Kerr but it's fair to say he never developed as much as he or the club wanted over the three years. When he joined he clearly had potential along with his share of bombscare moments and I thought he'd either be a disaster or leave us for a much bigger club. In the end he's turned out to be a good League One centre back without ever really fulfilling that potential. He was excellent at the end of last season and I thought this would be his breakout season but it just hasn't worked out unfortunately. I think he's 24 now so he really needs a regular run of games at centre back somewhere, which to be fair I think he would have got this season if it wasn't for his constant injury issues and McCabe looking better there. I can see him ending up at a Queen of the South/Alloa type club as I don't think he's done quite enough to justify moving onto a bigger club yet.

That's two fairly regular players announcing they're away, I wonder who'll be next? It should be an interesting summer.

His good spell last season was in a back 3 when he had more cover around him, but whenever he has played in a back 4 I've never been convinced by him defensively and Murray's refusal to play him there even when fit is pretty telling.

Always reminded me of Sean McIntosh. Probably slightly better than him, but similar in that they looked comfortable on the ball and were pretty versatile but ultimately just wasn't a good enough defender at this level.

The right move for both parties, he needs to get a run of games, injury free, in one position at a club and hopefully develop into a player somewhere else.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

If you had a league full of part-time teams then going full-time (even for a season) would be a no brainer as you'd have access to players that no-one else did. But at the moment it makes no sense in my opinion.

Disagree with this. Even if every club in league 1 was part time and we were full time then we would still be competing against championship clubs who were full time and almost certainly paying more money. Or even similar money but at a higher level. I definitely think the hybrid model works for a club like us.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Disagree with this. Even if every club in league 1 was part time and we were full time then we would still be competing against championship clubs who were full time and almost certainly paying more money. Or even similar money but at a higher level. I definitely think the hybrid model works for a club like us.

But we wouldn't be competing against the Championship clubs because they are in a different league. Missing out on players to them wouldn't matter, whereas missing out on players to other full-time teams in the same league would. If there's one full-time team in the league then you are getting access to a market that no other team in that league can, plus you'd have the additional benefits that being full-time would/should bring. You could argue the hybrid gives you the best of both, but there must be disadvantages with having a split squad like that and Murray has certainly said in the past that it wasn't ideal.

It's irrelevant anyway because that wont be the case any time soon in League 1, and in the current situation I agree the hybrid is the best model for us.

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

How many's Murray taking away with him to Raith then?

Could end up with egg on my face here but  to be honest other than the backroom staff I can't see there being many.

Probably most would agree our 5 best players would be McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Fordyce & Smith. Smith is under contract so unless Raith are willing to pay a fee I don't think he'll go. Will Fordyce transfer up a level again at his age? I'm not so sure. Which leaves the 3 midfielders. He might go for 1 or 2 but I can't see him going for all 3.

Potentially he might try and sign one of the Celtc loanees, Kerr McInroy or Brody Paterson. Also he always spoke really highly of Kyle Turner (Thistle) who was with us the season before last, could make a move for him.

5 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Could end up with egg on my face here but  to be honest other than the backroom staff I can't see there being many.

Probably most would agree our 5 best players would be McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Fordyce & Smith. Smith is under contract so unless Raith are willing to pay a fee I don't think he'll go. Will Fordyce transfer up a level again at his age? I'm not so sure. Which leaves the 3 midfielders. He might go for 1 or 2 but I can't see him going for all 3.

Potentially he might try and sign one of the Celtc loanees, Kerr McInroy or Brody Paterson. Also he always spoke really highly of Kyle Turner (Thistle) who was with us the season before last, could make a move for him.

Agnew looks like going but not sure about the rest of backroom staff.

Tend to agree with regards to players but imagine he'll have a lot of competition for Easton.