The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm not saying they were blatant errors but i do think he could have done better with the QP goals in open play.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Until you know who is replacing him it's hard to judge, but my initial reaction is quite happy with that. I thought with a better goalie this year we'd have won the league. With our lack of physical presence at the back we needed a commanding goalie and Currie is definitely not that. Also not convinced he's as good a shot stopper as people say - see play-offs for examples. The first goal in both legs would have been saved by a 'good shot stopper'. He's not terrible, but if you are going for a league title you need better than an average League 1 goalie, which is what he is.

With goalies there is always the risk that the replacement is a total liability however, so will need to see who is brought in.

All very good points. I think the unknown of who will come in is more of a concern for me than Currie leaving, as we’ve seen plenty of dodgy keepers at this level over recent seasons. I suppose I would have kept guys like Kieran Millar, Dale Carrick and Craig Thomson when they left the club as guys who did a job and were fine at this level but ultimately we replaced all of them with better quality players, so no reason we can’t do the same with Currie.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm not saying they were blatant errors but i do think he could have done better with the QP goals in open play.

And the two against Montrose at NB. Inability to be off his line at crosses not what you really need in this league, either.

Seen a car with a Spanish number plate up at the stadium today… coincidentally Xabi Alonso just left Real Sociedad. 

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

On the new goalie front, I’d like to see us bring in the lad Schwake that was on loan at Edinburgh City last season. He looked a really good prospect!

We don't need a prospect,  we need a competent consistent keeper, not to iron out the flaws of other clubs fifth choice keepers,  

Just now, airdrieman said:

Josh Kerr away too. A shame but fair enough given his injuries. Hope he stays fit and kicks on elsewhere. 

FFS really liked Josh and wish the lad well in his career,  that's him and Max away so far this evening, is this the night of the long knives..

Interesting that the 2 p!Ayers have baled out this early contracts up on 31st... Only a few days away I know, time to appoint a new gaffer and see if you are impressed with his vision etc....  Unless they have heard of the Go w / Rankin mash up and said f**k this......    Interesting and slightly worrying situation developing..

I liked Kerr but it's fair to say he never developed as much as he or the club wanted over the three years. When he joined he clearly had potential along with his share of bombscare moments and I thought he'd either be a disaster or leave us for a much bigger club. In the end he's turned out to be a good League One centre back without ever really fulfilling that potential. He was excellent at the end of last season and I thought this would be his breakout season but it just hasn't worked out unfortunately. I think he's 24 now so he really needs a regular run of games at centre back somewhere, which to be fair I think he would have got this season if it wasn't for his constant injury issues and McCabe looking better there. I can see him ending up at a Queen of the South/Alloa type club as I don't think he's done quite enough to justify moving onto a bigger club yet.

That's two fairly regular players announcing they're away, I wonder who'll be next? It should be an interesting summer.

8 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Josh Kerr away too. A shame but fair enough given his injuries. Hope he stays fit and kicks on elsewhere. 

Expected and not disappointed with that one. Wonder who is making the footballing decisions at the moment 

Just now, Passionate said:

FFS really liked Josh and wish the lad well in his career,  that's him and Max away so far this evening, is this the night of the long knives..

Interesting that the 2 p!Ayers have baled out this early contracts up on 31st... Only a few days away I know, time to appoint a new gaffer and see if you are impressed with his vision etc....  Unless they have heard of the Go w / Rankin mash up and said f**k this......    Interesting and slightly worrying situation developing..

Pretty sure that the guy's not being offered contracts would have been finalised a few weeks ago, probably best for a new manager bringing in his own players.

Having said that, i would have kept Josh but his injuries are a worry.

Pretty sure that the guy's not being offered contracts would have been finalised a few weeks ago, probably best for a new manager bringing in his own players.
Having said that, i would have kept Josh but his injuries are a worry.

Definitely seems to me like these guys haven’t been offered a new deal or were up front in rejecting one, while others might be considering options along with an Airdrie offer.

19 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Why are we not hearing this news from the club?

Maybe because the individuals concerned have just decided that they don't want to stay and have also informed the club of this as well as tweeting. Do you expect the social media side of a third tier Scottish League club to be a 24/7 operation? 

I don't imagine that Stuart is the first person at the club that either of these players contacted to let them know they weren't going to stay. 

You should possibly consider managing your expectations a bit.

Maybe because the individuals concerned have just decided that they don't want to stay and have also informed the club of this as well as tweeting. Do you expect the social media side of a third tier Scottish League club to be a 24/7 operation? 
I don't imagine that Stuart is the first person at the club that either of these players contacted to let them know they weren't going to stay. 

You should possibly consider managing your expectations a bit.

I agree with some of this, but 10 days after the final and the only news we’ve heard from the club is the managers away.
Slightly worrying thought we woulda heard a couple of resigning/releases.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

Heard that the club have also went back fully to part time.

Nah don’t believe that. We have Smith and Kouider-Aissa signed up full time for next season. Plus all the talk from the board about being stronger next season. 

1 minute ago, FLDiamond said:

Where did you hear this from? Could have an impact on who our next manager is 

Was talking to Max's cousin today in work, he mentioned that with also a few more players leaving. Again just what I've heard, could be very worrying. Like stated above we have Smith and Salim signed on who are full time which makes me a bit skeptical.