The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Stewart Petrie has done a terrific job at Montrose, punched way their weight in the past few seasons and managed to install a loyalty from a decent group of players.  Knows the league very well and I would expect he would see us as a step up from his current abode.

Stewart Petrie has done a terrific job at Montrose, punched way their weight in the past few seasons and managed to install a loyalty from a decent group of players.  Knows the league very well and I would expect he would see us as a step up from his current abode.

There’s more chance of me or you becoming the next Airdrie manager than Stewart Petrie. If he was going to take any job at this level it would be the Dunfermline job.

Cant see Petrie coming, he would be in exactly the same position as with Montrose in terms of budget with probably slightly more expectation of promotion. I believe he also has a job outside football so it would likely need to be a Championship club to tempt him away. 

Petrie is contracted until 2025 and there’s no way we’ll compensation for anyone. Even if we would, Petrie wouldn’t leave Montrose for us since he probably has a better shot at promotion with the team he’s already been building for years that have regularly challenged the playoffs than one he’d have to rebuild from scratch. I wanted Dunfermline to go for Petrie as that would mean all the teams expected to be near the top end of our league would have new managers, but the reality is that Montrose’s stability might give them an advantage this coming season, or at least negate the disadvantage of being a part time team in what is quickly becoming a full time (at least at the top end) league.

22 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Petrie is contracted until 2025 and there’s no way we’ll compensation for anyone. Even if we would, Petrie wouldn’t leave Montrose for us since he probably has a better shot at promotion with the team he’s already been building for years that have regularly challenged the playoffs than one he’d have to rebuild from scratch. I wanted Dunfermline to go for Petrie as that would mean all the teams expected to be near the top end of our league would have new managers, but the reality is that Montrose’s stability might give them an advantage this coming season, or at least negate the disadvantage of being a part time team in what is quickly becoming a full time (at least at the top end) league.

Yeah I said after the play-off final that with everyone around them changing manager or losing key players, Montrose’s consistency and stability could be vital next year. They’ve made the top four every year since they came up and while next year could be even tougher, I certainly wouldn’t bet against them doing it again. They’ve lost the Ballantyne’s and Cameron but I’m sure they’ll bring in a couple of good loans and be challenging for the top four once again. Absolutely no chance of Petrie coming to us and even the rumours of Ballantyne signing are very surprising to me. 

I asked a Ross County supporting friend about Kettlewell and he seemed quite enthusiastic about him. He seemingly had a good record at youth level, winning the development league, and while he did well in the Championship a job in the Premiership was perhaps a bit too soon. He described him as someone who demands a lot from himself and others, which sounds a lot like Ian Murray. Taking over Airdrie is a very different prospect to winning the Championship or staying in the Premiership with Ross County’s budget, but I’d prefer him to some of the other names mentioned.

12 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I think we are going to end up with a young inexperienced manager trying to launch their career or Ray MacKinnon.

I heard a name last night mentioned in the passing, don't know if its because he's local and his playing career is over but John Rankins name was thrown into the mix.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

Cant see Petrie coming, he would be in exactly the same position as with Montrose in terms of budget with probably slightly more expectation of promotion. I believe he also has a job outside football so it would likely need to be a Championship club to tempt him away. 

I'm sure he's a bank manager or something, I don't think people realise just how contented Petrie seems to be at Montrose when teams like Airdrie or any others at this level throw his name into the hat. Ain't gonna happen, and I actually admire that.

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I heard a name last night mentioned in the passing, don't know if its because he's local and his playing career is over but John Rankins name was thrown into the mix.

I'm sure he's a bank manager or something, I don't think people realise just how contented Petrie seems to be at Montrose when teams like Airdrie or any others at this level throw his name into the hat. Ain't gonna happen, and I actually admire that.

No thanks to John Rankin. The whole list of availability it's really concerning and totally uninspiring 

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Few people have mentioned seeing him at the Queen's Park game but I actually noticed him at the Peterhead game at the end of last season as well. Might not mean much though as he just seemed to be taking his sons to the football.

I saw Rankin at games quite a lot last season. Initially in what appeared to be a Hearts capacity (presumably to watch Scott McGill) then at a few games later on in the season. I took that as nothing more than a local boy taking in a game but who knows. Literally a complete unknown when it comes to management but seems to be highly spoken of as a coach and professional. That doesn't always translate into success as a manager however. As I said previously, Stan is somebody I always fancied to be Airdrie manager when he was coaching down south but, after a couple of spells in charge at different clubs, I'm not sure how good a manager he actually is. Again spoken highly of as a coach and professional but that's very different from being a manager. His spell at Accies seemed 'fine' if a bit pedestrian. A different challenge admittedly but that's not what is required to get out of League 1. 

11 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Would take MacKinnon over inexperienced manager.   Don’t want to have next season as a learning curve for someone.   That’s why Agnew was never an option.  RM has good contacts to bring in some talent and give us a fighting chance in the league 

Didn’t RM have a heart attack two or three weeks back?

As I mentioned, it was only a whisper.  Paul Hartley was also a rookie manager when appointed by Alloa and he done not too bad, Kevin Thomson (albeit with an open chequebook) also.  I'll wait until the rumour mill gets into full swing.

I imagine if the likes of Charlie Adam does infact retire, he'll be the next ex Old Firm arse cheek getting whored about for a lower league job.

27 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I saw Rankin at games quite a lot last season. Initially in what appeared to be a Hearts capacity (presumably to watch Scott McGill) then at a few games later on in the season. I took that as nothing more than a local boy taking in a game but who knows. Literally a complete unknown when it comes to management but seems to be highly spoken of as a coach and professional. That doesn't always translate into success as a manager however. As I said previously, Stan is somebody I always fancied to be Airdrie manager when he was coaching down south but, after a couple of spells in charge at different clubs, I'm not sure how good a manager he actually is. Again spoken highly of as a coach and professional but that's very different from being a manager. His spell at Accies seemed 'fine' if a bit pedestrian. A different challenge admittedly but that's not what is required to get out of League 1. 

Better off with Rankin than the others that have been mentioned unless we come up with name outwith the usual suspects. i think he is only 3 years younger than Ian Murray!

I've heard a few podcasts with John Rankin and he seems an infectious character who is a fitness and football obsessive. He would be the complete polar opposite to Mark Wilson who treated radio clyde as his full time employer and us as his part time hobby.

John Rankin was approached about the Airdrie job previously (guessing when we went for Murray?) but back then he felt it was a bit too soon for him. He wanted a bit more experience coaching...etc. before taking a managers job.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Better off with Rankin than the others that have been mentioned unless we come up with name outwith the usual suspects. i think he is only 3 years younger than Ian Murray!

I've heard a few podcasts with John Rankin and he seems an infectious character who is a fitness and football obsessive. He would be the complete polar opposite to Mark Wilson who treated radio clyde as his full time employer and us as his part time hobby.

The guys fitness level (for most of his career) has been outstanding.  I always remember hearing a story about John, that once each season was done, he'd indulge in a Big Mac and a glass bottle of Irn Bru...... then straight back on the health kick.

I dont know what coaching badges or qualifications the guy has at all, but its refreshing to hear a different name being mentioned.

11 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The guys fitness level (for most of his career) has been outstanding.  I always remember hearing a story about John, that once each season was done, he'd indulge in a Big Mac and a glass bottle of Irn Bru...... then straight back on the health kick.

I dont know what coaching badges or qualifications the guy has at all, but its refreshing to hear a different name being mentioned.

That McDonald’s and irn bru story is 100% true. Some dedication!