The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Seemed always likely he'd go after losing in the final game. It does look as if the Board knew they'd need to work on replacement. It does need to be quite quick as other sides will have a jump on us in getting a squad together. I have no input on those decisions and I am sure they don't read P/B too carefully. 

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I see Montrose rb Cammy Ballantyne is leaving them for full time football, always looked pretty solid against us, would probably rather taking a punt on him than resigning Watson.

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d love us to sign him. There’s a reason he made the PFA’s team of the year for our league. Seven Cove players, three Airdrie players, and Cammy Ballantyne. Best right back in the league for me.

Scott Brown of Peterhead in a similar boat according to their website. Both would be excellent additions. 

1 hour ago, Airdrie101 said:

Has anyone heard any rumors of a replacement, or what caliber of manager we might be looking at?  

Danny McGrain.

I'd be interested to see some of the applications we get.  Their is always some big names get touted but the usual list ends up like recently retired ex pros like a Kenny Miller or former league 1 managers who did well like an Allan Johnstone.   Their is usually a surprise or two in maybe coaches or someone from down south who wants to try Scottish football?

6 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

I'd be interested to see some of the applications we get.  Their is always some big names get touted but the usual list ends up like recently retired ex pros like a Kenny Miller or former league 1 managers who did well like an Allan Johnstone.   Their is usually a surprise or two in maybe coaches or someone from down south who wants to try Scottish football?

I never noticed them seeking applications but maybe I read too much into the statement. Can we get Jürgen or the real Pep?

In an ideal world my pick would be Stuart Kettlewell. For the rumour mill, he was seen going in the posh entrance at the Excelsior at the final & sat in the posh seats. I think he did well at County and played some good football, plus he got them up and and won the Challenge Cup too… then Uncle Roy decided he prefers racists. The doubt would be the budget he had at Dingwall which isn’t available here relative to the league, and he knew County inside out having played for them 130 odd times which he won’t have at Airdrie.

Other names already covered are your Allan Johnston and Ray McKinnon if he’s well enough. Curveballs maybe a Neil McCann if he can broached away from his media? Jim McIntyre… although he seems to have gone out fashion since his term at Dundee.

Names to avoid at all costs: Hopkin, Duffy, Hughes….

Answers on a postcard, please. Just hope that a plan B (not Murray’s forte) is in place if this move has been in the offing since last week.

EDIT: would suggest the ITK crowd among us will start sharing whispers tomorrow…

Edited by Dylan Easton Fanclub

5 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

In an ideal world my pick would be Stuart Kettlewell. For the rumour mill, he was seen going in the posh entrance at the Excelsior at the final & sat in the posh seats. I think he did well at County and played some good football, plus he got them up and and won the Challenge Cup too… then Uncle Roy decided he prefers racists. The doubt would be the budget he had at Dingwall which isn’t available here relative to the league, and he knew County inside out having played for them 130 odd times which he won’t have at Airdrie.

Other names already covered are your Allan Johnston and Ray McKinnon if he’s well enough. Curveballs maybe a Neil McCann if he can broached away from his media? Jim McIntyre… although he seems to have gone out fashion since his term at Dundee.

Answers on a postcard, please. Just hope that a plan B (not Murray’s forte) is in place if this move has been in the offing since last week.

I would have included Johnston, McKinnon, McCann and McIntyre in your to be avoided at all costs list along with Barry Ferguson. Every name bar Kettlewell gives me the absolute fear and even him I'd be unsure of. 

23 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I would have included Johnston, McKinnon, McCann and McIntyre in your to be avoided at all costs list along with Barry Ferguson. Every name bar Kettlewell gives me the absolute fear and even him I'd be unsure of. 

Kettle well for me too, of those others McKinnon at a push. An uninspiring bunch for sure

Just making my appearance from behind the 'playoff' couch only to be faced with this news.😏

Managerial lucky dip ensues.

Back to square one pretty much. Players  on freedom of contract after expiry of their deals. Could even lose Callum Smith yet, if money is tabled. Chance of Salim limping into the box by the end of September? Maybe.

Back behind the couch I think, until it blows over.

24 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

EDIT: would suggest the ITK crowd among us will start sharing whispers tomorrow…

Neil McCann is someone I thought if but I’m sure he turned down better jobs last summer and I doubt he’d be willing to come to us. Ultimately we’re a third tier team with probably the 3rd-5th biggest budget, we’re never going to get the perfect candidate if we’re aiming for an experienced manager. Of the names mentioned, McKinnon and Kettlewell are the two I’m least against but none of them jump out. 

I suppose we’re probably looking for a manager to rebuild a team to some extent and challenge for promotion by punching above our weight slightly against teams with much bigger budgets. Do any of the names mentioned so far fit that? Not really, but I doubt we’ll find anyone who’s perfect for it.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I think we are going to end up with a young inexperienced manager trying to launch their career or Ray MacKinnon

Would take MacKinnon over inexperienced manager.   Don’t want to have next season as a learning curve for someone.   That’s why Agnew was never an option.  RM has good contacts to bring in some talent and give us a fighting chance in the league 

Something different from the norm please. That's what I'd like to see. Not the usual merrigoround names that are on the merrigoround for good reason. 

Hopefully we will hear soon. Club have been swift in the past and can't see them sitting on their hands whilst Murray has been pimping himself out. 

In Heatherington we trust! ♦️