The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

No one jumps out there but I think that comes with being a League One team, the options are always going to be unproven managers or ones who have failed at a higher level.

Me neither as other than the one i mentioned.

Disappointed to see the manager go.   I did think he would want to stay one more year and try to keep the core of the squad together.    Now it's a case of waiting to see and the questions that brings in terms of who will he want to keep or bring new ideas or players.     The only problem I feel will be time will be against us.  Unless a new manager had been identified we are still a few weeks behind our competition for players also.   The likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk and Queens have known for a while longer what league they will be in and we have had to wait for the out come of the play offs.    I just hope it's resolved quickly.

Edited by Ballboy

23 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Allan Johnson n Sandy Clark for an early shout?

22 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Allan Johnston is one of those names that always crops up. But while he might seem like a pedestrian appointment he does win League 1 so maybe has that bit of nous and experience that we lack. He does struggle in the Championship though which would be a concern but I’d far rather face that problem next season than another season in League 1. I’m not sure I’d fancy him as manager but Sandy Clark bring involved would be great for nostalgia/sentimental reasons also. Not that that’s ever worked out well for us before! 

If it’s Jim Duffy or Barry Ferguson I’ll commit unspeakable acts. 

46 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Johnston has a great record in League One but I reckon a fair amount of that is due to managing full-time teams with the biggest budgets in largely part-time leagues, which won't be the case for us next season.

Nailed it. Johnston will be right in the mix I'd imagine, given there's no chance he's getting a gig any higher than League 1. He has done well previously but it's likely for the reasons you mention. I think AJ would be a shite appointment for Airdrie tbh though it would be nice to go up against one of his sides with the "try not and get beat" approach. It'll make Airdrie weaker so for that selfish reason alone I would happy if he got it. 

3 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Mckinnon could actually be a decent shout for you lot. Has always done well at this level and will feel he has a point to prove.

McKinnon gets a bad rap but I think he's a better manager than is made out. I wouldn't be thrilled with his appointment but I wouldn't be raging or full of dread either. 

An appointment either by the end of this week or sometime next week is what we need IMO. It's hardly a surprise that Murray could potentially have left if/when we lost the play-offs. Hetherington and the board come across as savy so I'm hopeful they'll have been sounding out potential replacements and will have someone in place ASAP. 

Johnston and Kettlewell seem the pick of the usual names although both come with huge caveats - one that they're almost always a disappointment in the Championship and the other that they were successful with the backing of the MacGregor millions. Stan Taylor was always somebody I fancied as Airdrie manager when he was coaching down south although I'm not sure how good a manager he actually is. A good portion of the league are in transition at the moment so even with being so ourselves, it's still a great opportunity to do well if the appointment is right (I don't rate McPake and Falkirk still have a ton of muck signed up). 

Hopefully some good news soon on the management and playing front along with the lottery numbers, new pitch and a contract extension for Paddy Pyott.

I see Montrose rb Cammy Ballantyne is leaving them for full time football, always looked pretty solid against us, would probably rather taking a punt on him than resigning Watson.

I see Montrose rb Cammy Ballantyne is leaving them for full time football, always looked pretty solid against us, would probably rather taking a punt on him than resigning Watson.

I’d love us to sign him. There’s a reason he made the PFA’s team of the year for our league. Seven Cove players, three Airdrie players, and Cammy Ballantyne. Best right back in the league for me.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d love us to sign him. There’s a reason he made the PFA’s team of the year for our league. Seven Cove players, three Airdrie players, and Cammy Ballantyne. Best right back in the league for me.

Yeah always been impressed with him, from the Glasgow area as well...

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

Disappointed to see the manager go.   I did think he would want to stay one more year and try to keep the core of the squad together.    Now it's a case of waiting to see and the questions that brings in terms of who will he want to keep or bring new ideas or players.     The only problem I feel will be time will be against us.  Unless a new manager had been identified we are still a few weeks behind our competition for players also.   The likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk and Queens have known for a while longer what league they will be in and we have had to wait for the out come of the play offs.    I just hope it's resolved quickly.

I think if Murray had a Crystal ball and knew we could keep the team together and secure promotion this season he would probably have stayed. The fact is that as previous posters have mentioned, his stock is about as high as it’s ever been and if he failed to secure promotion  next year he’d be parting company with the club anyway.  Right now he gets to step up a league, more money for him, cherry pick our team and will know some of the best L1 players he can tout.   I honestly don’t blame him for leaving and obviously a bit jealous.  Promotion meant keeping pretty much all the players we wanted and hitting the ground running in the Championship. But you never know how this season will turn out.  It may come all good in the end 

32 minutes ago, Airdrie101 said:

Has anyone heard any rumors of a replacement, or what caliber of manager we might be looking at?  

I'd imagine it'll be an appointment from outside and hoping it'll be equal to or greater than the calibre of Murray.