The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Diamond10 said:

Yeah he was sitting with at the Montrose game with Paul Ronald wonder if that’s a possibility.

As I said in my previous post I hope Aggy and certainly Prunty will stay on.

They're both ex Queen's Park players so I wonder if they might have been doing a bit of scouting for them? 

Ronaldo isn't exactly the first ex Airdrie player that comes to mind as a returning manager/coach but who knows! 😂 Maybe he'll have the opposite effect of all the playing legends who weren't great managers?

1 hour ago, Diamond10 said:

Yeah he was sitting with at the Montrose game with Paul Ronald wonder if that’s a possibility.

As I said in my previous post I hope Aggy and certainly Prunty will stay on.

Kettlewell and Ronald were sitting behind me at the Queen's Park v Dunfermline first leg too. I assumed they were just there with the Queen's Park connection but it makes sense for him to be out watching games and teams who might have jobs coming up soon. 

They're both ex Queen's Park players so I wonder if they might have been doing a bit of scouting for them? 
Ronaldo isn't exactly the first ex Airdrie player that comes to mind as a returning manager/coach but who knows! [emoji23] Maybe he'll have the opposite effect of all the playing legends who weren't great managers?

Wasn’t Paul Ronald heavily involved in Accies’ youth coaching round around the time McCarthy and McArthur came through? I wouldn’t be filled with optimism by his appointment but I suppose that’s something.

In my opinion what we need is someone with some decent experience (i.e. not his first management job) but also not a dinosaur like Jim Duffy or Yogi Hughes. Preferably someone who can come in and continue Murray’s work, rather than someone who will try to completely change everything at the club. Not sure who my preferred realistic option is yet as there are a few that seem fine but none that really jump out.

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Mckinnon could actually be a decent shout for you lot. Has always done well at this level and will feel he has a point to prove.

After suffering a heat attack a month ago I’m not sure the best thing for him right now is Airdrie!!! But seriously, good coach with tons of experience, especially against Dunfermline and Falkirk.  I’d be happy with him personally. Has good contacts in the game and a few of our players would respond to him coming onboard 

After suffering a heat attack a month ago I’m not sure the best thing for him right now is Airdrie!!! But seriously, good coach with tons of experience, especially against Dunfermline and Falkirk.  I’d be happy with him personally. Has good contacts in the game and a few of our players would respond to him coming onboard 
Applied for the Rovers job despite that. He's had a small operation and is back to full health already and looking for a full time job. Seems an ideal fit to me.

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
11 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Applied for the Rovers job despite that. He's had a small operation and is back to full health already and looking for a full time job. Seems an ideal fit to me.

Agreed.  I think he’d be an ideal candidate and like you said, probably feels he has a point to prove.  If McPake heads to Dunfermline then I don’t think there will be many other vacancies for him to apply for.  We’ll see.  Again, I’d be happy with the knowledge and experience he’d bring 

As much as I laughed at McKinnon’s failure at Falkirk I’d take him if he’s fit enough to work at the moment. He’s probably one of the better options actually. And I think the last couple of seasons have made it clear that while
He certainly could’ve done a better job at Falkirk, he wasn’t the only issue at the club and the failure wasn’t his alone.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

As much as I laughed at McKinnon’s failure at Falkirk I’d take him if he’s fit enough to work at the moment. He’s probably one of the better options actually. And I think the last couple of seasons have made it clear that while
He certainly could’ve done a better job at Falkirk, he wasn’t the only issue at the club and the failure wasn’t his alone.

Yep agreed, i'd be happy with either him Kettlewell or Johnston.

6 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Would love us to have someone in by the end of the month.  The club must have suspected this since last Sunday.  The rumour mill starts now….

It has already started but we can rule out Agnew as Murray is hoping to take him with him.

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It has already started but we can rule out Agnew as Murray is hoping to take him with him.

I’m good with this…. Knowing that Easton and Frizzell will most likely be away, there are 5/6 I’d like us to keep.  Agnew I’d take but not essential.   I suspect we got that Murray message out quick so we can start interviewing asap.   If they have someone ‘lined up’ we could have an announcement by Friday.  Obviously lots of work to do between now and August 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

So while we await the official announcement of Murray's departure the following have been mentioned as replacement:

Kettlewell

McKinnon

McPake

Johnston

Thomson

Agnew

I'll add Tollbrae boy John Rankin.

As you've said, Agnew will be away based on Murray's comments, I don't think he'd have talked about him in such detail if he wasn't extremely confident of that happening. 

I'm honestly not sure what to make of the other obvious contenders. Johnston has a great record in League One but I reckon a fair amount of that is due to managing full-time teams with the biggest budgets in largely part-time leagues, which won't be the case for us next season. McPake seems to be off to Dunfermline thankfully. McKinnon has done well in some places but was a disaster elsewhere. I can't say I know too much about Kettlewell but I feel like he did well as a co-manager at Ross County but struggled in the Premiership on his own? He's also been mentioned and overlooked for several other jobs recently. Stuart Taylor could be an option assuming he is actually leaving Hamilton but he's hardly done anything special there. 

No one jumps out there but I think that comes with being a League One team, the options are always going to be unproven managers or ones who have failed at a higher level.

4 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Hearing a Rumour on our thread it’s just that atm but apparently Easton has hinted at coming to Raith after speaking to someone who knows supposedly and Murray wants him here as well…….. as stated I don’t know how true it is 

Wow thanks for the I heard someone say that they heard.   We all know he's being chased by a few clubs.   No need for the shit post about hearing rumours.