The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

44 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

With the no doubt on going fire sale I fully expect a return to AMB and her boys as the team. Rohan in goals, Bain at right back, Donnelly up front, Blockley & Grant Adam signed up pending their release. Liam Watt too.

ETA: what’s Lovering doing these days?

West of Scotland League manager of the year I’ll have you know! 

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Yeah I couldn’t understand that one. Hope it’s true since it’s my first ITK. If is happens then it’s a cracking signing

Not really, i heard that plans for next season were underway weeks ago.

Having given this some thought in recent days I'm not going to be too upset with Murray going if that's what happens.

He's failed to take us up and arguably this season was the best shot at it as I'd say our squad was as good, if not better, than Cove's yet we failed to beat them at all. We also failed to beat, in either leg of the play off final, a team who finished 21 points behind us. I can't even say that was us bottling it and was more likely Murray getting his tactics badly wrong and being outsmarted by Coyle. That and his loyalty to Agnew who had visibly tired as the play offs wore on and realistically should have been dropped with Kerr going to CD and McCabe to CDM against QP.

His tactics this season seem to have consisted of give the ball to Easton and that should make room for Frizzell when the opponent's ultimately double up on Easton. Without Easton would our side have taken as many points as we did? I don't think so, certainly not with Murray who never really seemed to have a plan B. Unless you consider sticking 5 players up front in desperation a plan B. How many times did he successfully change things when the game wasn't going our way, I'd be happy to say I'm wrong if someone can identify more than one occasion.

I'd have been happy for another season with him as it may have meant we had a chance of retaining players but Easton is a cert to leave anyway so I'm really not that fussed.

Have to trust that the board, unlike the manager, do have a plan B as without having him tied down beyond the end of the season there was always a chance he may be tempted elsewhere.

It's been a bloody marvellous season with some great football to watch but we achieved nothing at the end of the day and his job was to get us promoted which he failed to do.

17 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Having given this some thought in recent days I'm not going to be too upset with Murray going if that's what happens.

He's failed to take us up and arguably this season was the best shot at it as I'd say our squad was as good, if not better, than Cove's yet we failed to beat them at all. We also failed to beat, in either leg of the play off final, a team who finished 21 points behind us. I can't even say that was us bottling it and was more likely Murray getting his tactics badly wrong and being outsmarted by Coyle. That and his loyalty to Agnew who had visibly tired as the play offs wore on and realistically should have been dropped with Kerr going to CD and McCabe to CDM against QP.

His tactics this season seem to have consisted of give the ball to Easton and that should make room for Frizzell when the opponent's ultimately double up on Easton. Without Easton would our side have taken as many points as we did? I don't think so, certainly not with Murray who never really seemed to have a plan B. Unless you consider sticking 5 players up front in desperation a plan B. How many times did he successfully change things when the game wasn't going our way, I'd be happy to say I'm wrong if someone can identify more than one occasion.

I'd have been happy for another season with him as it may have meant we had a chance of retaining players but Easton is a cert to leave anyway so I'm really not that fussed.

Have to trust that the board, unlike the manager, do have a plan B as without having him tied down beyond the end of the season there was always a chance he may be tempted elsewhere.

It's been a bloody marvellous season with some great football to watch but we achieved nothing at the end of the day and his job was to get us promoted which he failed to do.

This sums it up perfectly. Exactly how I feel about the way it all panned out.

13 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Its OK to not be OK mate. 

Seriously though, I haven't seen cove play but on paper they had the stronger squad imo. Queens Park had a bounce from beating the pars whereas you had a roller-coaster against montrose. That can take alot out of a squad. 

I hope you do make a good appointment and continue progressing as a club. In saying that though, who are the players who could make the step up that Murray is likely to take with him? Easton is certainly a player I liked when we played against him, I'm not too sure on how good the rest of your squad has been, having only seen them a couple of times this past season. 

That's my rest over now. Like some others I remain two faced about Ian Murray's impact on us. It improved Greatly over most of last season but there were some real low points in earlier ones. Yes there were lots of extenuating circumstances but in the end we failed to get out of this league again. He's way above any of his predecessors apart from Sandy Stewart in 2003 etc and he has avoided getting sacked unlike Sandy and I can't doubt his efforts with us but some of his decisions did not get us up. 

Never argue against a worker improving their income/ contract but a wee bit annoyed at him being in Championship and us having to rebuild. Anyway on to next Season Ticket . This might be  my 50th in a row ? And some new places to go. Ach well!

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That's my rest over now. Like some others I remain two faced about Ian Murray's impact on us. It improved Greatly over most of last season but there were some real low points in earlier ones. Yes there were lots of extenuating circumstances but in the end we failed to get out of this league again. He's way above any of his predecessors apart from Sandy Stewart in 2003 etc and he has avoided getting sacked unlike Sandy and I can't doubt his efforts with us but some of his decisions did not get us up. 

Never argue against a worker improving their income/ contract but a wee bit annoyed at him being in Championship and us having to rebuild. Anyway on to next Season Ticket . This might be  my 50th in a row ? And some new places to go. Ach well!

It could be worse. He could have left you for a club the league below like we've had happen. 

I’ve pretty much always backed Murray and he definitely improved us, albeit gradually, during his tenure. But I agree he got it wrong in the playoffs. Once Kerr was fit to play he should’ve been back in the team and Agnew should have dropped out with McCabe moving into midfield. It’s something a lot of us had been calling for for ages. I couldn’t believe his subs in the second leg against Queen’s Park. You might think of Simon Murray’s penalty hitting the back of the net, or even Easton’s foul in the box, as the moment that resigned us to defeat. But at 1-1 when Callum Smith was subbed off I’d basically accepted defeat. He was the last player left on the pitch I felt could score the winner for us after others had also been subbed off.

His recruitment, however, was pretty much always bang on. And you can’t take away from him, despite ultimately failing to get promotion in the end, he put together the best Airdrie team and years and gave us the best football in years. That unbeaten run really was special. Good luck to him at Raith Rovers. I imagine if given time he’ll be a success.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Its OK to not be OK mate. 

Seriously though, I haven't seen cove play but on paper they had the stronger squad imo. Queens Park had a bounce from beating the pars whereas you had a roller-coaster against montrose. That can take alot out of a squad. 

I hope you do make a good appointment and continue progressing as a club. In saying that though, who are the players who could make the step up that Murray is likely to take with him? Easton is certainly a player I liked when we played against him, I'm not too sure on how good the rest of your squad has been, having only seen them a couple of times this past season. 

I don't necessarily believe that Murray will take players with him to Raith however think that after fairly impressive/solid displays this season that the likes of McCabe, Fordyce, Frizzell may well be on the radar of other teams who can pay them more or offer longer contracts. Additionally if Murray goes he may well be inclined to take Agnew with him as assistant.

I don't necessarily believe that Murray will take players with him to Raith however think that after fairly impressive/solid displays this season that the likes of McCabe, Fordyce, Frizzell may well be on the radar of other teams who can pay them more or offer longer contracts. Additionally if Murray goes he may well be inclined to take Agnew with him as assistant.

Or maybe Agnew will want the airdrie job[emoji102]