The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I don't think it will be that extreme but losing that stability we had is potentially a big blow. Other than Peterhead, Clyde and Edinburgh City, we're going into a league where the other seven teams will fancy themselves to at least finish in the top four. Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queen of the South (to an extent) and possibly Kelty will all be going into the season with new managers so having the stability from Murray's spell would have been a big bonus. Montrose are a good example, as everyone else around them makes a load of changes they manage to keep the same core team and manager and have always been in the top four since they were promoted. I think this summer would have been tricky anyway even if Murray stayed, as some key players would have left anyway, but potentially starting from scratch in a very tough league is a real concern. I have faith in the board to pick the right man, I feel like they learned a lot from the Findlay disaster and it's clear how much improved we are without Stuart Millar's input, but it's far from ideal.

Unfortunately it seems my worst fear will be confirmed.  Believed that Murray would be a Championship manager one way or another next season and promotion failure has cost us.  And yes, I think that some key players will be away. Easton might be at Starks next season also.  Unfortunately a re-build job might be on the cards and I have absolutely no idea who could come in.  We have to be looking for play offs at least next season but right now it’s anybodys guess how our squad will look in another few weeks time.  Board have to act fast, we need to get things in place over next 4-6 weeks 

25 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Allan Johnson n Sandy Clark for an early shout?

Allan Johnston is one of those names that always crops up. But while he might seem like a pedestrian appointment he does win League 1 so maybe has that bit of nous and experience that we lack. He does struggle in the Championship though which would be a concern but I’d far rather face that problem next season than another season in League 1. I’m not sure I’d fancy him as manager but Sandy Clark bring involved would be great for nostalgia/sentimental reasons also. Not that that’s ever worked out well for us before! 

If it’s Jim Duffy or Barry Ferguson I’ll commit unspeakable acts. 

I suppose he's got to strike while his stock is high. In all probability it was a no win situation staying at us as winning the league next season will be incredibly difficult and most likely result in the sack if he didn't, or get promoted.

Allan Johnston is one of those names that always crops up. But while he might seem like a pedestrian appointment he does win League 1 so maybe has that bit of nous and experience that we lack. He does struggle in the Championship though which would be a concern but I’d far rather face that problem next season than another season in League 1. I’m not sure I’d fancy him as manager but Sandy Clark bring involved would be great for nostalgia/sentimental reasons also. Not that that’s ever worked out well for us before! 

If it’s Jim Duffy or Barry Ferguson I’ll commit unspeakable acts. 

Sandy Clark has been Johnston’s assistant last couple of jobs, didn’t mean Sandy himself as manager.

I’ve been told that Murray signed the contract was us this morning and that he could be announced tonight/most likely tomorrow.

what’s he like with developing players, style of play and what his strengths and weaknesses? 

Also bonus question think he could bring Easton and Frizzell to us? 

3 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Genuinely of the opinion Murray should just hurry up and go if he is going. It's potentially losing some of the players that bothers me more than the manager. One thing is for sure, he won't be given the time and patience he had here.

If think he will get time at us, if the fans and board etc all pull in the same direction, they’ve probably looked at him what he’s done at Airdrie and think he could do that with us 

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If think he will get time at us, if the fans and board etc all pull in the same direction, they’ve probably looked at him what he’s done at Airdrie and think he could do that with us 

You've been such a picture of togetherness this season, so good luck with that!

12 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I’ve been told that Murray signed the contract was us this morning and that he could be announced tonight/most likely tomorrow.

what’s he like with developing players, style of play and what his strengths and weaknesses? 

Also bonus question think he could bring Easton and Frizzell to us? 

Probably not alone in looking at / enquiring about Dylan but clearly with the Murray link you'd be strong favourites to secure him. He's the kind of player we need and think he'd excel further with Fyvie next to him feeding Mitch. Would do well alongside Stanton I reckon.

Is Ethan Ross playing centrally or wide for you? Will Zanatta extend or go elsewhere?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

He's still on the books, isn't he? Lost track of that saga after NLC banned him.

Unless Murray is planning on trying to play him (if he’s our manager next season) I’m not sure what difference it would make. DGW is on the books but doesn’t train or play for us. One way or the other we’ll need to pay him off. I highly doubt after everything that’s happened since January at Raith and Clyde any board or manager is dumb enough to try and field him in Scotland.  He’s either retiring or heading abroad.  

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Probably not alone in looking at / enquiring about Dylan but clearly with the Murray link you'd be strong favourites to secure him. Would do well alongside Stanton I reckon.

Is Ethan Ross playing centrally or wide for you? Will Zanatta extend or go elsewhere?

Ross has been played AM, LM and Striker for us but IMO he’s a better winger,

zanatta still has a year left but tbh if someone came in for him wouldn’t be opposed to letting him go,

but I would take Easton all day long would add more quality to what we already have 

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Unless Murray is planning on trying to play him (if he’s our manager next season) I’m not sure what difference it would make. DGW is on the books but doesn’t train or play for us. One way or the other we’ll need to pay him off. I highly doubt after everything that’s happened since January at Raith and Clyde any board or manager is dumb enough to try and field him in Scotland.  He’s either retiring or heading abroad.  

Wasn't suggesting he would, just wondering what the situation was.

14 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Heard he wants to move abroad so there’s hardly any press and none of the reaction he got at us, but the problem  is finding someone to take him off us 

Edited by RRFC_Liam