The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

45 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Agree with Airdrieman's assessment of who to keep / release and about the need for a Marvyn Wilson / Kenny Black type of player, would also add to that a big defender who can do a similar job breaking up play, was impressed with the big lad queens park had and somebody similar would ass to our team next season. The manager is a strange one, i'd be gutted if he left but at the same time if we dont go up this season would we be wanting him to leave at the end of the season, maybe depends how close we get? There will always be one or two teams in this leage who can spend big whether its Falkir / Dunfermline / QOTS coming down from the league above or a team with money coming up like Cove / Kelty QP so if we are going to get up we will need to find a way to finish above teams with bigger budgets eventually.

Most of it, probably.

Currie - Thought he could have done better with Murray's goal at Firhill and Smith's at Airdrie theefore needs replaced.

Cantley, Lyons & Sal - How can anyone tell.

Agnew - My pet hate, completely immobile and shouldn't have been playing last season.

Gal & Gabby - Back up players only, we won't win the league with them as 1st choice.

Edited by Kenny_m

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Most of it, probably.

Currie - Thought he could have done better with Murray's goal at Firhill and Smith's at Airdrie theefore needs replaced.

Cantley, Lyons & Sal - How can anyone tell.

Agnew - My pet hate, completely immobile and shouldn't have been playing last season.

Gal & Gabby - Back up players only, we won't win the league with them as 1st choice.

I do agree on Currie but I think he'll stay and they seem pretty happy with his performances so I can't see them prioritising finding a replacement for him. 

I’d imagine the club will offer everyone except Pyott, Walker and Ritchie a new deal. Unsure about Cantley or McDonald as they might be kept as back ups and it’s hard to know the situation with Lyons since he’s been out all season, but recent history suggests we’ll give him another year as we did so with Scott Gallacher, Craig Thomson, and even Pyott through their injury problems. Also unsure about Gabby and Jordan Allan as the club might only be keen to keep one in order to make room for a new forward. Smith and Kouider-Aissa obviously already signed up. I’d say out of the rest there’s a danger of McCabe, Frizzell, Easton leaving for a better offer elsewhere and Kerr leaving for more game time.

I’d say that gives us Currie, Fordyce, Watson, Agnew, Gallagher, Smith, Kouider-Aissa as definite members of next season’s squad and I’d expect Lyons and one of Allan or McGill to be added to that, though I’m less sure with them. We’d do really well to keep McCabe, Easton and Frizzell and I expect Easton and Frizzell to probably be off but I’m hopeful McCabe will stay. Even if we kept all three we’ll still need to bring in a lot of players to replace departing loanees, particularly in defence, and if they leave we’ll need an entirely new midfield.

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I would expect Easton will be away

Any rumours as to who he'll be off to? Is he full time with you lot? After he had such a shite time at us it's really good to see him kick on.

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Gallagher - He has his faults but he is one of the better strikers in League 1.

I would love to see him at Clyde, but obviously if a new contract is on the horizon with you it wouldn't be happening and I suspect that even if he were to leave we would be one of the last clubs he'd consider.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Any rumours as to who he'll be off to? Is he full time with you lot? After he had such a shite time at us it's really good to see him kick on.

I would love to see him at Clyde, but obviously if a new contract is on the horizon with you it wouldn't be happening and I suspect that even if he were to leave we would be one of the last clubs he'd consider.

He's full-time. I remember when he signed for us him talking about how he wanted to give full-time football another go and how he maybe hadn't taken football or his abilities as seriously as he could have. He's had a nomadic career so far and played pretty much the entirety of it below his capabilities so I really do hope he gets a chance to show what he can do at a decent level. I haven't heard anything concrete - only names that I've seen mentioned are Raith and Forest Green but I imagine he'll have a number of offers. Very much doubt we'll see him in a diamond again but maybe the fact Murray and Airdrie have obviously gotten the best out of him might tempt him to stay (if Murray also doesn't leave). 

Would be surprised if Gal wasn't back. He's part-time and can't really see where he'd get a better offer and I doubt we'd release him either. Murray always talks highly of him and he's vice-captain so I'd expect him to be among the first names to re-sign. 

I cant believe people still don't rate Gal. There's 100 percent times where he should be dropped because he's went off the boil. But 16 goals speaks for itself so unless we are signing megginson or macalister then who else would get us that? Other than our very own Smith. 

Also disagree with the flak Agnew gets. He's had a handful or poor games but he's never looked "past it". He gets some idiotic shouts aimed at him "that's got to go forward Agnew" when there's a frecking opposition player directly in front of him. People just want to be fuming at someone. 

28 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I cant believe people still don't rate Gal. There's 100 percent times where he should be dropped because he's went off the boil. But 16 goals speaks for itself so unless we are signing megginson or macalister then who else would get us that? Other than our very own Smith. 

My assessment is made with winning the league in mind which has got to the main objective, so we do need to find better quality, from somewhere.

33 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Also disagree with the flak Agnew gets. He's had a handful or poor games but he's never looked "past it". He gets some idiotic shouts aimed at him "that's got to go forward Agnew" when there's a frecking opposition player directly in front of him. People just want to be fuming at someone. 

I sincerely hope he's played his last game and enjoys his retirement.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

My assessment is made with winning the league in mind which has got to the main objective, so we do need to find better quality, from somewhere.

I sincerely hope he's played his last game and enjoys his retirement.

Out with our league , one player has more league goals than Gal. Nathan Austin at Kelty...

So who else we going to get that will hit 15/16 goals a season ? 

Edited by Rossm25
Spelling

I'm sure the talent pool just doesn't include the scottish leagues.

You're indirectly making my point, everyone you've mentioned is a league winner which is what we must aspire to. We might have been also if he could have controlled Easton's great pass and put us 2-1 in front against QP.

39 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Out with our league , one player has more league goals than Gal. Nathan Austin at Kelty...

So who else we going to get that will hit 15/16 goals a season ? 

There’s always the West Ham striker, he should get a few.

This season like the last one ended in the same way for me. We had our ‘final’’ in the first playoff decider second leg as in Cove last season and Montrose this time. And like last year we were effectively undone by teams who were maybe not as skilful but were physically more powerful and aggressive. This was indeed typified in the last match with Jordan Allan facing up to the giant that is QP’s Fox.

It is difficult to find fault with Ian Murray’s selection and signings this season however, as we have watched some of the best football from an Airdrie side in a long time.

If I had to be critical however I would look to the fact that we did not have adequate cover for Currie. We badly needed a keeper who could realistically challenge for the position and keep him on his toes. Max is very good for this level but his weaknesses are more to do with how he handles pressure during the ‘big’ games. In this respect I feel that his lack of mental toughness has let him down. Disappointingly, despite having a goalkeeping coach, I could not really see any improvement in this respect.

As for Gal, most sides in this division would sign him up in a minute. We have compared him to McAllister etc. but it must be remembered that he does not take penalties. If he did, he would more than likely to have been the league’s top scorer. Gal gets criticism for the fact that he is not a striker that ‘makes things happen’ when you are 1-0 down with 5 minutes to go. His skills lie in being in the right place at the right time as others have said.

I look forward to August in the hope that whoever the manager is tries to build on all of the positives from this season.  For me, part of the problem in failing to gain promotion every year has been the vast turnaround in playing staff.

I believe the present board will have looked at this fact and learned from the abysmal scenarios like ‘director of football’ etc. that have dogged our progress in recent years.

3 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Murray away, official confirmation soon.

Yep thomson out the running, shame was confident he would have one more crack with us. Wish him all the best anyways, left us in a better position than we were before him.

Murray has undoubtedly improved us and while he’s had his doubters, he’s done a very good job overall. It’s a shame it’s ended like this, as I think all fans would agree this has been the most enjoyable season for a long time. As @AJ77 says though, no hard feelings and he put a lot of time and effort into turning Airdrie around, it’s a shame we just lacked that bit of quality in key moments to win promotion. Objectively it probably feels like the right time to move on from Murray’s point of view  and it makes the play-off final seem like even more of a missed opportunity.

The board got Murray’s appointment right and hopefully they can get this one right too. I’d like to think they’ll have some names in mind, it’s been clear for a while that Murray might go if we didn’t promotion and I’ve been saying for months that if we didn’t go up Raith seemed the likely option. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to find a new manager either, we don’t want to go into June without a manager or most of the squad signed up. Murray was who I wanted last time but there aren’t any names who jump out this time around unfortunately.

Edited by Mr November

Just gotten over the playoff blues so decided to come back on.

Unfortunately it looks like Murray is away. My only thoughts are that we either win this league with a new manager or end up in league 2 next year. It’ll be that extreme. 

Who would you like to see take the job? 

2 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Just gotten over the playoff blues so decided to come back on.

Unfortunately it looks like Murray is away. My only thoughts are that we either win this league with a new manager or end up in league 2 next year. It’ll be that extreme. 

Who would you like to see take the job? 

I don't think it will be that extreme but losing that stability we had is potentially a big blow. Other than Peterhead, Clyde and Edinburgh City, we're going into a league where the other seven teams will fancy themselves to at least finish in the top four. Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queen of the South (to an extent) and possibly Kelty will all be going into the season with new managers so having the stability from Murray's spell would have been a big bonus. Montrose are a good example, as everyone else around them makes a load of changes they manage to keep the same core team and manager and have always been in the top four since they were promoted. I think this summer would have been tricky anyway even if Murray stayed, as some key players would have left anyway, but potentially starting from scratch in a very tough league is a real concern. I have faith in the board to pick the right man, I feel like they learned a lot from the Findlay disaster and it's clear how much improved we are without Stuart Millar's input, but it's far from ideal.

After the last few years I still can’t figure out if I like Murray or not. Last season was the only truly good season he’s overseen. The other three seasons I would have happily seen the back of him. From his perspective it’s probably the right time to move on, as if next season didn’t go well for him his record with Airdrie would look decidedly average and he wouldn’t have the same appeal.

If he does go, fair play to him and good luck.

My fear is that we lose the spine of the squad with him, and a full rebuild is required again.