The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Hopefully get put out of our misery one way or another soon! 

Murray has really grown on me this year , and I think as someone has mentioned this is the first team we've felt "close" to for a long time, and he's been a massive part of that ! 

On 18/05/2022 at 19:31, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

On this subject, despite absolutely being two of our best players this (is it already last?) season, both Frizzell and Easton are a bit slow. Both have very quick feet but Easton in particular I noticed struggling to chase opponents or catch loose balls in the playoff games. Loved watching both and hope we can keep them but I think it’s the main weakness in both of them.

Anything over 5 yards and Easton is slow which in higher leagues might be an issue. He can get by players with ease but can't really pull away from them so often has to beat them 2 or 3 times.

I think he'll need to pick his club very carefully because I think in a weak team in a higher league (or any league) he'd be wasted, he's a player who needs to be in an attacking, relatively successful team for the league he is in. A lower end Championship team would be a terrible move for him for example. In the final third he's fantastic, but he'll need a team who spend enough time there for him to shine.

Thinking about things the opposite way, I think they'd be a good few players wanting to join Airdrie.

Youngsters like Paterson and Scott McGill have done exceptionally well and it would be a good club to start out and build a reputation from. 

I think the 3 big teams in the division are QOS, Falkirk and Dunfermline who are all really in transition so I don't think success would just happen over night. 

The dark horse would be Montrose I think as they have had a squad and manager who have been there for a while and would likely hit the ground running.

Players will come and go but I think it is vital that we keep a hold of Murray, McCabe, Fordyce and Frizzell whilst adding a much needed physicality to the team which I think has cost Airdrie some games this season.

Having a mix of skillful/creative players whilst adding physicality in defence would certainly makes us strong contenders for the title and stop us from conceding silly daft goals.

Edited by David Fernández

Thinking about things the opposite way, I think they'd be a good few players wanting to join Airdrie.
Youngsters like Paterson and Scott McGill have done exceptionally well and it would be a good club to start out and build a reputation from. 
I think the 3 big teams in the division are QOS, Falkirk and Dunfermline who are all really in transition so I don't think success would just happen over night. 
The dark horse would be Montrose I think as they have had a squad and manager who have been there for a while and would likely hit the ground running.
Players will come and go but I think it is vital that we keep a hold of Murray, McCabe, Fordyce and Frizzell whilst adding a much needed physicality to the team which I think has cost Airdrie some games this season.
Having a mix of skillful/creative players whilst adding physicality in defence would certainly makes us strong contenders for the title and stop us from conceding silly daft goals.

The problem is that if Murray leave we’ll also be in transition. Hopefully Dunfermline steal Petrie to put Montrose into that category rather than ourselves.

Agree on the priorities. I love Easton but imo he’s not as important as the likes of McCabe and Frizzell. Think you’re spot on about adding a bit physicality at the back while maintaining what we have making us potentially a favourite for the league.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The problem is that if Murray leave we’ll also be in transition. Hopefully Dunfermline steal Petrie to put Montrose into that category rather than ourselves.

Agree on the priorities. I love Easton but imo he’s not as important as the likes of McCabe and Frizzell. Think you’re spot on about adding a bit physicality at the back while maintaining what we have making us potentially a favourite for the league.

I'm fairly confident that Murray will stay but also confident that Petrie will stay on at Montrose.

I think McPake might be worth a shout at Dunfermline. 

With Easton, he's been brilliant for us, but he's the one player I can see moving on elsewhere.

Murray, Fordyce and McCabe sound like they want to stay based on their interviews, although McCabe I'm about 70/30 on if he will stay or not.

Adding physicality is a priority for the reason we can't keep having 10 men in the box defending corners as we didn't trust our defenders.

57 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm fairly confident that Murray will stay but also confident that Petrie will stay on at Montrose.

I think McPake might be worth a shout at Dunfermline. 

With Easton, he's been brilliant for us, but he's the one player I can see moving on elsewhere.

Murray, Fordyce and McCabe sound like they want to stay based on their interviews, although McCabe I'm about 70/30 on if he will stay or not.

Adding physicality is a priority for the reason we can't keep having 10 men in the box defending corners as we didn't trust our defenders.

Why would Dunfermline want him when he's failed to take us out of League 1 for 4 seasons?

If he goes then he would probably double his wages and have the biggest budget in the league. Promotion would most likely mean he gets another year at least but failure would ultimately result in the tin tack.

If he stays at us and we fail to get promotion then most likely we won't give him another chance.

Precarious business football management.

On the playing side agree totally that physicality is a priority but we need a better class of striker. We had no one near Megginson or Simon Murray who ultimately played massive roles in their clubs promotion.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Why would Dunfermline want him when he's failed to take us out of League 1 for 4 seasons?

If he goes then he would probably double his wages and have the biggest budget in the league. Promotion would most likely mean he gets another year at least but failure would ultimately result in the tin tack.

If he stays at us and we fail to get promotion then most likely we won't give him another chance.

On the playing side agree totally that physicality is a priority but we need a better class of striker. We had no one near Megginson or Simon Murray who ultimately played massive roles in their clubs promotion.

Simon Murray was excellent in the play-offs but he only scored five league goals this season and while he's a much better striker, Megginson only scored one more non-penalty goal than Calum Gallagher. Interestingly Megginson and McAllister scored 24 non-penalty league goals between them while Gallagher and Smith managed 27 for us. Obviously penalties count but our strikers don't get the chance to boost their numbers that way. Gallagher has his faults but he's a reliable League One goalscorer and unfortunately players like Murray and Megginson are just out of our budget. 

Who knows if we'll keep them but Fordyce, a physical centre back and McCabe in midfield would be an excellent base to build from. We saw in the play-offs what a difference someone like Charlie Fox made at the back for Queen's Park. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I think if you look at the context of things, Ian Murray was improved Airdrie every season he has been in. And taken us from mid table league 1 dross to actually challenging for a title. 

Also we had the covid reduced season and Stuart Miller's experiments like Robert and Sabitini who I didn't think Murray particularly wanted.

Would Russell McLean not be a punt? Think he scored 17 goals for Peterhead and is available for transfer. Definitely would be within our budget.

Would Russell McLean not be a punt? Think he scored 17 goals for Peterhead and is available for transfer. Definitely would be within our budget.

He’s the really tall striker that got a bad injury against us when he was at Montrose isn’t he? Decent record and I’d like us to have an option up front with height like that but I haven’t really seen enough of him to know what type of striker he is. Might be worth a punt.

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

He’s the really tall striker that’s and got a bad injury against us when he was at Montrose isn’t he? Decent record and I’d like us to have an option up front with height like that but I haven’t really seen enough of him to know what type of striker he is. Might be worth a punt.

Yeah that's the very one. Feel if we have to go long in games and grind out a result. He'd be a decent option alongside Smith, Gal and Salim

I'm sure there was talk that we were interested in McLean last summer. I like him, I'm not sure how good he actually is but he's always a handful for our defence and certainly brings something different to our current strikers. I feel like he's been around for a while now but he only turns 24 next month. I don't think we'd be able to bring in a player as good as Megginson but Gallagher, Smith, Salim, McLean and a quick backup like Jordan Allan would be strong for this level.

21 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think if you look at the context of things, Ian Murray was improved Airdrie every season he has been in. And taken us from mid table league 1 dross to actually challenging for a title. 

Also we had the covid reduced season and Stuart Miller's experiments like Robert and Sabitini who I didn't think Murray particularly wanted.

I'm led to believe he's from the Glasgow area as well