The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

49 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Does anyone know when we should expect some kind of announcement? I get that it takes a while to get through offering most of the squad new contracts but I’d imagine we should expect an update on Murray fairly soon. Last season we announced Murray’s contract extension along with Agnew four days after the playoff final loss (Tuesday after the Friday game) so if negotiations are that simple again we should know something by tomorrow?

I'd like to think we'd hear before the weekend, no point signing players up when we don't know what's happening with the manager!

49 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I'd like to think we'd hear before the weekend, no point signing players up when we don't know what's happening with the manager!

Agreed.  Have to imagine the Board were ready to make a move Monday/Tuesday with a plan based on whatever league we were going to be playing in. But regardless of the league, surely Murray was in their plans.   The reality is that finances will be tighter based on that league and Murray knows that to win next season we’ll need a majority of this seasons team with more upgrades.  Are we able to get that for him? I really hope so, or we could lose our manager and most of the squad.  It all starts with the manager.  Because surely there’s a Falkirk, RR, whatever waiting in the wings with a decent sized warchest that could tempt him away if he thinks he can’t make it happen for us next season 

Agreed.  Have to imagine the Board were ready to make a move Monday/Tuesday with a plan based on whatever league we were going to be playing in. But regardless of the league, surely Murray was in their plans.   The reality is that finances will be tighter based on that league and Murray knows that to win next season we’ll need a majority of this seasons team with more upgrades.  Are we able to get that for him? I really hope so, or we could lose our manager and most of the squad.  It all starts with the manager.  Because surely there’s a Falkirk, RR, whatever waiting in the wings with a decent sized warchest that could tempt him away if he thinks he can’t make it happen for us next season 

Falkirk recently appointed John McGlynn. Raith Rovers and Dunfermline would be the main worries but most of the talk about the next Raith manager has been about Kevin Thomson as far as I’m aware.

So, yeah, in this Falkirk team, do you think McGlynn would play him more on the right, cutting in on his left foot, or more centrally?

Depends entirely on what shape the team plays. I’d personally say he’s wasted as a winger but I’m not sure how well he’d do as part of a centre mid pairing or as an out and out number 10. He’s best as part of a three man midfield as one of the slightly wider players.

Are there actual substantial rumours suggesting he’s going to Falkirk?

41 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

We could put the managerial chat to bed by making a move to extend Murray's contract.  For all we know that's already happened.

I would expect that assumption to be bang on but after 4 years we've not managed to progress from league 1, maybe one or both parties see it differently. Remember there were a considerable amount of fans calling for a managerial change at the end of last season.

I'm personally happy for him to stay but won't be distraught if he doesn't. It's all about the playing budget to me and i notice on the facebook page that a PH confidant is stating that we will be stronger next year which is good to hear.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

So, yeah, in this Falkirk team, do you think McGlynn would play him more on the right, cutting in on his left foot, or more centrally?

Not at his best as an out and out winger IMO. Great work ethic and decent skillset. His stature and fairly average acceleration for me make him more effective more centrally.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

It's all about the playing budget to me and i notice on the facebook page that a PH confidant is stating that we will be stronger next year which is good to hear.

I was chatting to him briefly before the East Fife match. That was the impression I got as well. Spoke very positively about how they were building something and plans were well underway for next season no matter what division we were in. Also felt the standard of player approaching Airdrie to sign had greatly increased. 

I know he has some critics & the obvious run-ins with the Trust but from my personal dealings with him I've always been impressed. He wants things done right. If it's not, you're gone. And while previous regimes were happy to just survive, he won't be happy unless we're progressing and moving upwards.

17 hours ago, Ballboy said:

I'm not on Facebook either but I'd think it's a bit petty.   Plus it goes on league registration with managers in the technical area I think.   

Also as its owen coyle and sandy Stewart they both have earned the freedom of the stadium so welcome to stand where they please.    

We were 21 points ahead of them and should have been able to take care of them, 

19 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Talk of Frizzell going to Falkirk? Missed that one 

A boy in the work is pals with Frizzell (ITK etc) and supposedly QP have approached him. 🤷‍♂️ 

Is he Championship standard?

2 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

I was chatting to him briefly before the East Fife match. That was the impression I got as well. Spoke very positively about how they were building something and plans were well underway for next season no matter what division we were in. Also felt the standard of player approaching Airdrie to sign had greatly increased. 

I know he has some critics & the obvious run-ins with the Trust but from my personal dealings with him I've always been impressed. He wants things done right. If it's not, you're gone. And while previous regimes were happy to just survive, he won't be happy unless we're progressing and moving upwards.

Got to admit to being slightly suspicious of him mainly because he seems so distant from the fans and his carte blanche approach to the trust to me was ill judged. 

Having said that he ain't done much wrong since he assumed control so lets hope we can go one place better next year.

49 minutes ago, Gall09 said:

A boy in the work is pals with Frizzell (ITK etc) and supposedly QP have approached him. 🤷‍♂️ 

I'm pretty sure he would have been offered terms with us if we made it so i would say yes bearing in mind most of his career has been at championship and premier level. He's been fantastic all season but like several others went off the boil in the play offs but probably most Airdrie fans would have him in our top 3 or 4.

If you pop over to Dumbarton forum they'll say no.

1 hour ago, Gall09 said:

Very good football player, strong, direct and skilful l,   biggest issue is he lacks a good yard of pace, something which would get exposed in he championship IMO

3 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

You are always a reliable respectful poster on here,   have you heard any signing, resigning snippets or is there any truth in the Alan Gow youth academy rumour...

Very good football player, strong, direct and skilful l,   biggest issue is he lacks a good yard of pace, something which would get exposed in he championship IMO

On this subject, despite absolutely being two of our best players this (is it already last?) season, both Frizzell and Easton are a bit slow. Both have very quick feet but Easton in particular I noticed struggling to chase opponents or catch loose balls in the playoff games. Loved watching both and hope we can keep them but I think it’s the main weakness in both of them.

10 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Heard from Max's cousin today that he's out in Seville for the Rangers game so it sounds like probably next week or the week after we'd hear about contracts etc.

He was definitely wearing too much orange this season 😂