The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Morning after the day before and gawd it’s all still too raw. Got to the stage last night of asking myself if I should’ve been wearing the same clothes I wore against Montrose, or sat in the same seats, or just waited at the queue at the turnstiles instead of going up the other end.

Rumours of decimation of the playing squad don’t help. This has no doubt been the most likeable & personable team I can remember watching in my near 30 years watching the Diamonds. No doubt there’ll be “non-promotion” clauses in contracts if they haven’t just straight expired, I’m sure we’ll find out in the next two weeks or so.

But we’ve built this team… surely we can do it again. Whilst Murray’s tactical naivety has probably caught up with him at the worst possible time at least he’s shown he can recruit well. I’ve heard a few bits of inbound gossip and I’ll be quite happy if they come to fruition. And what of Murray? Him and Kevin Thomson will surely be favourites for any job that comes up in the league above this summer if not already. Is four years and a ~46% win rate enough for him to call it quits and try his hand elsewhere?

Of course the biggest question of all is when are the new strips out… and when can I buy a season ticket? (And where’s the Chinese money the ITKs kept on touting?)

Have to admit the whole Rico fiasco with his Tweets last night laughing at Airdrie pretty embarrassing.Was that not his team mates a few months ago?

Still mates with a few of them apparently as well, an absolute warmer of a guy

So folks, who are keeping and who are we releasing?
Keep - Easton, Frizz, McCabe, Fordyce, Currie, Gal, Gabby, Cantley, Aggy (as a coach not a player)
Release - Walker, Ritchie, Allan, Mcdonald, Pyott, Lyons
Undecided - Watson and Kerr
Personally can’t see easton or frizzell sticking around be pretty confident the rest I mentioned would stay, McCabe’s interview yesterday would maybe suggest he’s happy to be here for next season, as did murrays.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Have to admit the whole Rico fiasco with his Tweets last night laughing at Airdrie pretty embarrassing.Was that not his team mates a few months ago?

Lol, aye it's embarrassing for Rico and not for the club who have now been accused of racially abusing two brothers in one season.

Will be a tough job to keep the players together as I imagine a few of them will be in demand, especially if we don't manage to keep hold of Murray.

Got to laugh at the Falkirk roasters on this thread, they will be delighted at the prospect of offering our best players a fortune then turn them into rubbish players for another season in league one, I suppose they have their days out at Dunfermline to be excited about. 

I was at the game on Thursday night and I didn’t hear any racist shouts or chanting but important for Airdrie fans to remember that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. There were chants of “wife beating b*stard” aimed at Quitongo and I heard someone shout “your brother’s a liar” which isn’t racist obviously but it’s not exactly enlightened either.

With incidents like these within any football club’s fanbase it’s the well-meaning fans that end up feeling guilty by association, while actual guilty parties don’t care and are fine with the club having such a reputation. I really don’t know how a club or its fans go about actually ridding themselves of such a reputation.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Lol, aye it's embarrassing for Rico and not for the club who have now been accused of racially abusing two brothers in one season.

For me he should have maybe tweeted something along the lines of GIRFUY the fans that were shouting stuff at me,just think he could have Tweeted it better.If I was an ex team Mate and seen  that last night from a guy who was in the team earlier in the season be a bit miffed off.

Anyway enjoy League 2 😉

8 minutes ago, mo83 said:

For me he should have maybe tweeted something along the lines of GIRFUY the fans that were shouting stuff at me,just think he could have Tweeted it better.If I was an ex team Mate and seen  that last night from a guy who was in the team earlier in the season be a bit miffed off.

Anyway enjoy League 2 😉

I think anyone who is aware of Ricos time at Airdrie will be well aware that he's laughing at specific people and not his friends within the team (if he has any). 

I'll do my best, brah.

It's obviously a tough league next year but in some ways it's no different than this year. Cove replaced by QOS, who will be worse (not that they'll be bad, but they wont be getting 79 points I'm pretty sure). Dunfermline replaced by Queens Park which, despite the 'big name', is like for like as the play-off result showed. At the other end Dumbarton for Edinburgh is like for like. The only real difference maker will be Kelty for East Fife which will obviously make things tougher. Although I don't know enough about Kelty to know whether they'll have Cove levels of investment or not. Falkirk should be better, but I've said that the last 2 years and they still have a lot of rubbish tied up on contracts. Overall I don't think the league will be much different to this year in terms of quality. It will be tough, but it has been the last 2 years and we've finished 2nd twice.

It's also worth remembering that despite us making some good signings this year we also wasted a lot of money by signing some total duds like Lyons, Quitongo and Wardrop. So there is room for improvement in recruitment as well. 2 decent full backs for the whole season (instead of having Scott McGill playing there) could well have made the difference with winning the league.

It's hard to be positive after that defeat, but I think the level of doom or gloom is too extreme too. It will be a tough season as they always are, but with some good recruitment there's no reason we can't be up there challenging again. I'd like Murray to stay but if he goes then he goes and we'll see who we get in, it's not something I'm majorly concerned about.