The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Bottled promotion with your best squad in years as you're desperate for the Navy Blue Pound xxx

We'll take your best players and there's nothing u can do about it x 

Who you taking off our hands this,season....

8 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Falkirk have the worst season in their 146 year history. 

Airdrie have their best season in their 20 (lol) year history. 

Both ended up with the exact same outcome 😂😂😂😂😂😂

16 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

So far ahead of us & it was all for nothing. That's what makes it so fucking funny.

Are you lot gonna get your house in order this season or does another October Q&A and subsequent board reshuffle beckon?

24 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Have they? When was that? The defining characteristic of our season is that in the big games we haven't been good enough. 2 defeats and 2 draws against Cove. And in the play-off 2 defeats, a draw (where we probably deserved to lose) and 1 win - a crazy comeback in a freakish game.

The squad have been great this season, I haven't enjoyed a season as much in years. They showed that against average/poorer they could stroll it, but the brutal reality is that when it mattered against the best sides - Cove and a reformed QP side - we were lacking. We can't forget we almost blew it against Montrose too.

I don't doubt that a fair chunk will move on, but if I was a Championship manager I'm not sure I'd be convinced. I'd imagine Falkirk and Dunfermline might be likely destinations given they are proven at this level. The same goes for Murray in all honesty, he has done an excellent job with us given where we were, but I'd certainly have some doubts if I was in a higher league.

I think this is pretty much where I’m at too. Things might change in time but ultimately, as much as I’ve enjoyed this season more than any other since my first (03-04), I’ll remember us losing in the play-offs and that Fyvie goal in the Cove game more than going 20 games unbeaten. It’s a real sickener but while we can’t fault the effort all season, ultimately we’ve lacked a little bit of quality in the big games. 

I think Murray may well go but I also think it’s telling that Raith seem keen to go for Kevin Thomson ahead of Murray. Turning Airdrie around, alongside the job he did at Dumbarton, is probably more impressive than winning the league with Kelty but ultimately coming close but not winning anything isn’t as sexy as winning a league, even if you’re by far the best team in it. 

We’ll see what happens over the coming days. If we can keep Murray and a decent chunk of the squad then there’s no reason why we can’t be up challenging again next season. It’ll be a very tough league but not every time will get their managerial appointment or signings right. 

It’s a strange feeling tonight. Normally when we lose a play-off final I’m annoyed, either at a manager, players or both but I find it hard to be too upset at anyone in particular. The effort was certainly there, we just lack a bit in the big moments which is frustrating but there’s not much we can do about it.

Hard result after a good season but credit to Queens Park, thought they got tactics / play right over the two legs, must have been a big crowd today, not seen it that busy for years. Will be hard next season, just hope if we are looking for a new manager that it happens qucikly to give the new guy time to get a squad together. No doubt some of the players will be moving on, as great as its been to watch this season cant help but feel some more players of the type QP had in abundance who can grind out results could make the difference. 

6 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Hard result after a good season but credit to Queens Park, thought they got tactics / play right over the two legs, must have been a big crowd today, not seen it that busy for years. Will be hard next season, just hope if we are looking for a new manager that it happens qucikly to give the new guy time to get a squad together. No doubt some of the players will be moving on, as great as its been to watch this season cant help but feel some more players of the type QP had in abundance who can grind out results could make the difference. 

Agree some players will be moving on. Most will sideways  rather than upwards 

1 hour ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Certainly be thinking about the 12 points you gift us. 

It’s hardly a humble brag but even in our worst season in decades you didn’t take 12 points off us.

Over the two play-off games Queens Park probably just shaded it although as it went in to second period of extra time I thought the game was destined for penalties.

It was great to have the main stand full of Airdrie supporters, been a long time since that last happened.

Disappointing end but it's still been an enjoyable season of entertaining football to watch and I'm sure been much more fun following the Diamonds as opposed to the Bairns. 

So best of luck to both Cove and QP in the Championship. League 1 next season is going to be quite tough but good to have 4 new places to visit.

Commiserations Diamonds. 1-1 going into the second leg I thought you were going to do the necessary at home and get over the line. No one could of denied it would have been merited after an impressive campaign. Wasn't much in today's game; fine margins.

Playoffs are hugely entertaining but unforgiving at times. In both the Championship and in L1 the top ranked team went out in the semis and the lowest ranked team gained promotion. 

A remarkable season nonetheless and hugely impressive run in to go 20 unbeaten. Keep as much of the core, add some more gems and go full tilt at it next year 💪

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Commiserations Diamonds. 1-1 going into the second leg I thought you were going to do the necessary at home and get over the line. No one could of denied it would have been merited after an impressive campaign. Wasn't much in today's game; fine margins.
Playoffs are hugely entertaining but unforgiving at times. In both the Championship and in L1 the top ranked team went out in the semis and the lowest ranked team gained promotion. 
A remarkable season nonetheless and hugely impressive run in to go 20 unbeaten. Keep as much of the core, add some more gems and go full tilt at it next year [emoji123]

Great poster u are mate, all the best for next season[emoji1303][emoji1303]

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

A remarkable season nonetheless and hugely impressive run in to go 20 unbeaten. Keep as much of the core, add some more gems and go full tilt at it next year 💪

Cheers. Appreciate an honest and unbiased opinion on the thread as it has been all season from you. All the best next season....for both of us

55 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Great poster u are mate, all the best for next seasonemoji1303.pngemoji1303.png

Cheers mate. Diamonds were superb to watch all season, something echoed by all clubs in this league. You could see the promise even back in July with the 2-0 win over Motherwell; two outstanding goals that day. 

Hopefully we meet again soon

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Absolutely gutted after todays result, the only thing we can do now is wait to see how things will unfold with Murray and Co.   Have said previously, fully expecting a new challenge for Murray now we have failed to make the Championship and if this season has shown anything… regardless of how good your team actually is there is NOTHING guaranteed in this league.  Think Murray is Falkirk bound or off to the Championship, and expect 3/4 of the team to be off too.  Our board has to spring into action as all this happens - an early appointment may give us a decent chance of achieving something next year.  

another thing this season showed… even if you finish 4th in the league, your in with a shout.  Even if that’s 20-25 points off the pace.   But personally, I don’t want to hear the words ‘play offs’ for months.  Sick and tired of failing at this hurdle 

28 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Absolutely gutted after todays result, the only thing we can do now is wait to see how things will unfold with Murray and Co.   Have said previously, fully expecting a new challenge for Murray now we have failed to make the Championship and if this season has shown anything… regardless of how good your team actually is there is NOTHING guaranteed in this league.  Think Murray is Falkirk bound or off to the Championship, and expect 3/4 of the team to be off too.  Our board has to spring into action as all this happens - an early appointment may give us a decent chance of achieving something next year.  

another thing this season showed… even if you finish 4th in the league, your in with a shout.  Even if that’s 20-25 points off the pace.   But personally, I don’t want to hear the words ‘play offs’ for months.  Sick and tired of failing at this hurdle 

He definitely isn’t falkirk bound so you don’t have to worry about us!