The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I seen an article regarding the Raith job and the bit at the bottom saying that the board are keen on Murray but wouldn't consider speaking to him until the playoffs are done, real fear he could be offski if we don't go up this weekend.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I seen an article regarding the Raith job and the bit at the bottom saying that the board are keen on Murray but wouldn't consider speaking to him until the playoffs are done, real fear he could be offski if we don't go up this weekend.

Did I miss something? Heard RR were after Kelty Hearts manager Thomson. He’d be an idiot not to take the position and be pushing for a promotion play off place next season which I expect Rovers to do (most likely).  After hearing Murray on the Airdrie piece during the Inverness arbroath game, having the chance to keep this team together and if the board back him - I don’t expect any movement during the summer.   Who knows, it’s football.  But for us that ‘consistency’ and having the manager continuing to build a team is important.  But first we need to win these playoffs 

16 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Did I miss something? Heard RR were after Kelty Hearts manager Thomson. He’d be an idiot not to take the position and be pushing for a promotion play off place next season which I expect Rovers to do (most likely).  After hearing Murray on the Airdrie piece during the Inverness arbroath game, having the chance to keep this team together and if the board back him - I don’t expect any movement during the summer.   Who knows, it’s football.  But for us that ‘consistency’ and having the manager continuing to build a team is important.  But first we need to win these playoffs 

Thompson Kelty and Scott Brown have been mentioned, Jo

This was the quote from the Dundee courier

Airdrie boss Ian Murray is admired within the Stark’s Park boardroom but no approach would be considered until after the Diamonds’ Championship playoff final against Queen’s Park.

Took some time tonight to re-familiarise myself with play-off history and I guess get my feet back on the ground after last night’s last minute ecstasy.

It’s galling how much dross we’ve been subjected to over the years. Stirling Albion 2006-07 and Dumbarton 2012-13 comes to mind immediately with the season after it surely being our nadir, albeit in the league above (I’m thinking 7-0 Thistle, for example). Teams made up of 16-17 year old Hamilton loanees, mercenaries like Lilley and Mensing, false dawns, Ravenscraig training ground, Willie Aitchison, Gordon Dalziel, Iain King and more regime changes than a developing Southern Hemisphere country. 

But it just emphasises how much of an “injustice” it would be for this team not to go up. In my time watching Airdrie we’ve never had a team I’ve felt more connected to or moreover that has me proud to be an Airdrie fan. And to be honest I don’t think we’ve even got out of first or second gear since the Clyde game at Broadwood.

Nerves will no doubt kick in as tomorrow wares on and I won’t make too many more posts for fear of jinxing the outcome. I just hope there’s a huge home crowd and the team produce for us they have all season.

53 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Took some time tonight to re-familiarise myself with play-off history and I guess get my feet back on the ground after last night’s last minute ecstasy.

It’s galling how much dross we’ve been subjected to over the years. Stirling Albion 2006-07 and Dumbarton 2012-13 comes to mind immediately with the season after it surely being our nadir, albeit in the league above (I’m thinking 7-0 Thistle, for example). Teams made up of 16-17 year old Hamilton loanees, mercenaries like Lilley and Mensing, false dawns, Ravenscraig training ground, Willie Aitchison, Gordon Dalziel, Iain King and more regime changes than a developing Southern Hemisphere country. 

But it just emphasises how much of an “injustice” it would be for this team not to go up. In my time watching Airdrie we’ve never had a team I’ve felt more connected to or moreover that has me proud to be an Airdrie fan. And to be honest I don’t think we’ve even got out of first or second gear since the Clyde game at Broadwood.

Nerves will no doubt kick in as tomorrow wares on and I won’t make too many more posts for fear of jinxing the outcome. I just hope there’s a huge home crowd and the team produce for us they have all season.

This. We've all enjoyed our style this season but there's something more than that and you've just summed it up in one word....connection. Long time since we've had that to anywhere near the level we have this season. Desperate to keep this team together (and manager of course).

C'mon Airdrie! Do what we all know you're capable of.

7 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Bad luck. Thought you deserved better. Over the season you played good football. Hope you keep a few of your team and get a decent new manager emoji106.png

Nah f**k that, they deserve everything they get.

in the bin x 

31 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

in the bin x 

Actually forgot about you lot. Ah well at least a very small silver lining is us getting  our usual 9 points off you lot again next season sweet cheeks x

45 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Maybe too soon but since half of p&b is talking about airdrie losing their best players. What are the chances of us keeping this squad together? League looking tough for next year.

No chance. Murray will probs be away I think, certainly the players that are out of contract (pretty much all) have all but shown they’re capable of playing at a higher level.

Jackie McNamara, Stuart Kettlewell and John Rankin all at the game today (and paying £0 to get in) so putting 2+2 together I’d think one of them will get a nod if Murray does go. Although heard a suggestion it’ll be Sandy Clark.

But, if Murray does stay, when one of his hands aren’t tied behind his back he’s shown he’s capable of building a team that can challenge.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

What’s that? Airdrie stuck in the third tier, again? Going into their tenth consecutive season in League One by next year? Oh ya fcker.

39 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

in the bin x 

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

6BEA2EE9-47A1-4AD6-9F53-D02D5F6C1746.jpeg

9002BDA8-1608-4A4C-A146-80AA458F7B5E.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

No chance. Murray will probs be away I think, certainly the players that are out of contract (pretty much all) have all but shown they’re capable of playing at a higher level.

Jackie McNamara, Stuart Kettlewell and John Rankin all at the game today (and paying £0 to get in) so putting 2+2 together I’d think one of them will get a nod if Murray does go. Although heard a suggestion it’ll be Sandy Clark.

But, if Murray does stay, when one of his hands aren’t tied behind his back he’s shown he’s capable of building a team that can challenge.

Have they? When was that? The defining characteristic of our season is that in the big games we haven't been good enough. 2 defeats and 2 draws against Cove. And in the play-off 2 defeats, a draw (where we probably deserved to lose) and 1 win - a crazy comeback in a freakish game.

The squad have been great this season, I haven't enjoyed a season as much in years. They showed that against average/poorer they could stroll it, but the brutal reality is that when it mattered against the best sides - Cove and a reformed QP side - we were lacking. We can't forget we almost blew it against Montrose too.

I don't doubt that a fair chunk will move on, but if I was a Championship manager I'm not sure I'd be convinced. I'd imagine Falkirk and Dunfermline might be likely destinations given they are proven at this level. The same goes for Murray in all honesty, he has done an excellent job with us given where we were, but I'd certainly have some doubts if I was in a higher league.

29 minutes ago, Xanadu2112 said:

Actually forgot about you lot. Ah well at least a very small silver lining is us getting  our usual 9 points off you lot again next season sweet cheeks x

Bottled promotion with your best squad in years as you're desperate for the Navy Blue Pound xxx

We'll take your best players and there's nothing u can do about it x