The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

Apparently rumours Taggs away to Airdrie

15 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

I'd be absolutely gutted to lose Taggs if this rumour has substance.He's the backbone of the team,a classy,brave player.We failed very badly to deal with the left back situation under ferguson,and i'm not sure it would possible to bring in anyone as influential as Taggs.Very worrying if true.Hopefully not.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Murray had Taggs at Dumbarton, he was brilliant for us in the Champ so it would make sense especially if you go up.

Obviously nothing is official until the pen is tweeted out but that's a bit of business I'd be happy with. A good right-back who's spent most of his career in the Championship or the top end of League 1 and done well in both leagues. If he can play left-back and centre-half(?) too then even better as we know how useful it's been to have players who can play in multiple positions this season. 

Murray really is putting the band back together!

32 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Worth mentioning that Smith’s goalscoring form is absolutely as a result of him playing on the left. In his first spell I always that he was better when moved to the wing (although it was the right wing then) as it let him utilise his pace and work rate. His goals this season started to come with the formation change to 433 and the goals on Saturday likewise came after he moved to the left. It’s crazy how such a seemingly small change that actually moves him further away from the opposition goal has turned him into a clinical goalscorer.

His three finishes on Saturday were sublime. The first and the second (hitting it first time like that) in particular are excellent technique. Changed days from missing that sitter at Firhill all those months ago. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Yet another player of the month award. I was a bit surprised at Gallagher winning it but five goals in four games is a great record. Hopefully it’s not the last thing he wins this season!

I don't think Gal gets the credit he deserves from our support. He can undoubtedly be a frustrating player, miss wild sitters and when he's off it he's off it. But on his day, outside of your Megginsons and Goodwillies, I'd have him as one of the best strikers at this level. Fantastic movement and strikers' instinct (as we saw on Saturday), scores important goals, can score with any part of his body which is another under-rated skill and I don't his hold-up or all-round play is too bad either. He's scored 16 goals so far this season and scored 9 and 14 in two shortened seasons which I think is a good return. A well deserved award and recognition as was his goal and 100th appearance on Saturday! 

18 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Obviously nothing is official until the pen is tweeted out but that's a bit of business I'd be happy with. A good right-back who's spent most of his career in the Championship or the top end of League 1 and done well in both leagues. If he can play left-back and centre-half(?) too then even better as we know how useful it's been to have players who can play in multiple positions this season. 

Murray really is putting the band back together!

Interesting on a couple of different levels.  And I know it’s just a rumour. But if true, it signals Murray’s intent to stay even if we don’t get promoted? (For the record, I believe we’ll get promoted). So delighted with this news, and all that it could mean for the club 

Think it has only took me till today to process what actually happened on Saturday. Think that has to be the best game I've ever witnessed in person. I do feel for the Montrose fans as that would of been a miserable 2 and a half hour journey back up.

Delighted for Gal to pick up the player of the month award, works his socks off and gets in the right place at right time to score important goals.

I'd the rumour is true, Taggs would be a fantastic bit of business, would be good competition for Watson and definitely a vast improvement over Kyle MacDonald.

Ticket bought for Thursday, let's do this and make it comfortable for a change 😄

18 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

We wouldn’t know!!!!

Any talk of play off jinx’s are oot the windae as far as I can see. Airdrie might have started the season slowly in what is very competitive league but they have got better over time. Certainly have the manager, the fitness and the players. Do they have the baws? Going from Saturday you would say yes.

29 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Any talk of play off jinx’s are oot the windae as far as I can see. Airdrie might have started the season slowly in what is very competitive league but they have got better over time. Certainly have the manager, the fitness and the players. Do they have the baws? Going from Saturday you would say yes.

Big baws too!

It's important that amongst the hysteria from Saturday we don't forget that the goals we conceded were dreadful defending, and if we do similar against QP we'll lose. QP lost less goals than we did this season, we only averaged 1 goal a game against them and they've just kept 2 clean sheets against a Championship side. They are a very difficult side to beat (they only had 1 more defeat than we had this season). As talented as we are going forward if we lose 2 or 3 goals from punts into the box we wont be digging ourselves out a hole again by scoring 6 goals against this team.

I don't think QP will be as direct as Montrose, but we need to be better at stopping crosses, it was far too easy for Montrose to get balls in the box.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

10 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's important that amongst the hysteria from Saturday we don't forget that the goals we conceded were dreadful defending, and if we do similar against QP we'll lose. QP lost less goals than we did this season, we only averaged 1 goal a game against them and they've just kept 2 clean sheets against a Championship side. They are a very difficult side to beat (they only had 1 more defeat than we had this season). As talented as we are going forward if we lose 2 or 3 goals from punts into the box we wont be digging ourselves out a hole again by scoring 6 goals against this team.

I don't think QP will be as direct as Montrose, but we need to be better at stopping crosses, it was far too easy for Montrose to get balls in the box.

Watson in should shore up that back line , 3 of thier goals came from RB. 

Dunfermline had chances against QP , ones we would be taking...hopefully.

Not being complacent at all but if we play the best we can and score half of what we scored on Saturday we will be in a good place! 

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think Murray will be aware of that, especially given MacDonald was taken off after half an hour to try and stop that, but it's definitely something we need to stop if we want to win the final. I'm not too concerned by their last two goals, as our tactics were wild at that point, but the first three Montrose goals were so soft and a result of a few players making basic errors. I think Watson will be back in from the start which should help with that and how open we are going forward does leave our full-backs a bit exposed at times but even so, we need to be much stronger in those situations. Watson should help at set-pieces too, as both Fox and Grant are strong in the air and something like that could be the difference in a tight game.

You've mentioned it elsewhere but Queen's Park will probably play a bit deeper than Montrose. In their first leg it was very much a 4-1-4-1 with a fairly flat midfield four based around being organised and working hard as a unit, whereas Montrose left their wingers high to exploit our lack of cover there in the first leg and then had full-backs bombing forward along with the wider midfielders in the second leg which we couldn't cope with. We haven't had to deal with Jai Quitongo too much this season but if he plays his pace and directness will be a threat, and given everything that's gone on with his brother I'm sure he'll be right up for it.

Given how much he seemed to shout it, maybe we should bring back Kenny Black to just shout "STOP THE CROSS" every time the ball's in our half. Actually, given his play-off record, maybe that's not the best idea...

34 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Watson in should shore up that back line , 3 of thier goals came from RB. 

Dunfermline had chances against QP , ones we would be taking...hopefully.

Not being complacent at all but if we play the best we can and score half of what we scored on Saturday we will be in a good place! 

And remember Dunfermline were down to 10 men too for the entire 2nd half just about. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

Hope you play like it’s your last game in the two legs of the final! 

Just like watching Jimmy Lister....

The big man can play, just needs motivated, wherein lies the problem,   Celtic are probably not taking up his one year option, same with Brody, must be hard on the lads probably for the first time they need to find a club on much lower wages than they get at celtic...

Brody I thought was unlucky to get subbed at half time,  would expect him back in at left back for the final..  Jonny will just have to do his super sub role again.

21 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

very much looking forward to Sunday, is it tickets or pay at the gate?

The away leg at Firhill is tickets only and as our match v Montrose on Saturday was the same you'd have to imagine that's how it will be for the return at Airdrie on Sunday. Tickets go on sale for the second leg tomorrow.

15 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Did anyone see the bit about Airdrie at half time during the Inverness/Arbroath game?

Ian Murray showing pure emotion at the final whistle was amazing.

Some turn around from the days we were getting pumped 5-0 at home to Stenny.

Yeah saw it at the time and commented then about how well done it was. In the vein of the video pieces they do on View From The Terrace in my opinion.

Anyone who didn't see it, the match is still on iPlayer and is during the half time break, well worth a watch.

Missed it last night but watched it today, 57 mins in to the Iplayer of the game it starts. 

Absolutely brilliant. Proper lump in throat stuff as well, with Ian's voice over. What a guy. 

Can actually see myself in the video a few times, too. Red jacket and wee heid. 

As @Mybitchunderprotest says, very good piece, well produced. 

God I hope we do this.