The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

There you really have it…you’re welcome for me jinxing it for the Mo!

Thinking back to a few weeks before Murray took over we had a monumental collapse at home to raith rovers.  Today all be it after changes after half an hour he's over seen the best comeback I've seen scince that day.   This season is the first time he's not had a director of football making signings and has created the best squad we have had in many a year.   IF we do now go up will the contract and budget be very different from the rovers?   Maybe he will fancy a new challenge but I don't think he would leave us for a club at a similar level.   

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

Thinking back to a few weeks before Murray took over we had a monumental collapse at home to raith rovers.  Today all be it after changes after half an hour he's over seen the best comeback I've seen scince that day.   This season is the first time he's not had a director of football making signings and has created the best squad we have had in many a year.   IF we do now go up will the contract and budget be very different from the rovers?   Maybe he will fancy a new challenge but I don't think he would leave us for a club at a similar level.   

High's and low's the day alright, got to be up there as one of our best come backs, we'll done to players, manager and staff, players showed great fitness,  making of a good Sat night, 

2 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Kinda my thinking, if he makes the jump with Airdrie, I don’t see anyone in the Championship tempting him (except perhaps Dundee, simply due to budget).

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

Your wish and all, perhaps Murray is trying to throw the offer? More honestly, for the Diamonds fans, what happened versus Mo this year in the playoffs…did he players simply shit the bed, or did Murray get the tactics wrong (apologies if he somehow turns it around second half…see Hamilton v Raith earlier this year)

Thought he made the wrong picks this afternoon when the team lines were released: three of their five goals came from a diagonal over Kyle MacDonald and then his inability to stop the resulting cross. He was hooked after 30 mins and what a difference Craig Watson made. 

5 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

PS, your red Saltires are stunning, but your union Jake’s, ..peh. 
Coming from the east, I never understood the Brit nationalism and sectarianism that a minority of your club has.

But we are all different.

Dont fekk it up against the Nuevo Riche!

Tbf, your mob “doing the bouncy” at 1-0 up at Links wasn’t a good look either… but the “Make Airdrie Great Again” Trump flag is our best by a mile. 

6 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Congratulations Airdrie, you deserve it and I wish you all the best.

If anyone should go up, it’s yourselves.

Thanks for that, don't think Airdrie fans will ever forget this game today, all the best, 

Well done lads. Looked like an incredible game from the highlights. Airdrie definitely have the all important ‘momentum’ as the final approaches. The manager no doubt will try and get the players feet back to earth. The two final games should be crackers. Winning league titles is brilliant but there’s something special about winning the play offs.

What. A. Day. Still can't quite believe we did it and I am still trying to process it all. If you'd told anyone Montrose would score 4 goals away from home (and 5 overall) and not win I don't think anyone would believe you. 

We looked dead and buried at both 2-0 and 3-1 down. Fair play to Montrose, their pressing really did a number on us but very soft goals for us to lose, again. 

Callum Smith's performance may be the best individual performance I've ever seen in a diamond (chevron ;) ). We would not have won this game if he wasn't playing. A hat-trick, harried their defence the whole game, phenomenal work-rate and was even tracking back and winning the ball in their half in the depths of extra-time. Outstanding and what an instrumental player he has become. Fair play too, to big Jonny who was also superb when he came on. He's, rightly, being getting it tight from us, but he also was vital to our win. Cracking touch and finish for his goal (and loved his celebration right in front of the Montrose dugout 😂) and that touch and assist for Gabby's goal was a sublime bit of skill. Fair play to the big man and was great seeing him jumping around with the wee guys on the pitch after the game. 

Would start Watson, and probably Kerr, in the final but Murray got his subs spot on today so credit to him for that. Loved seeing how much it meant to him and the entire squad (big Salim was loving it once again!). Nice to see Gal grab a typical Gal goal on his 100th appearance in a diamond ♦️

One of the best games I've ever been to but we haven't won anything yet. We should go into the games against Queen's Park with confidence but they will feel the same and it will no doubt be a stuffy and tight affair. But this team is something special. We know they have the ability to do it and, especially after yesterday, we know they have the mentality to do it. If we don't break our play-off hoodoo after yesterday I'm not sure we ever will. Roll on Thursday ♦️

8 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Well done lads. Looked like an incredible game from the highlights. Airdrie definitely have the all important ‘momentum’ as the final approaches. The manager no doubt will try and get the players feet back to earth. The two final games should be crackers. Winning league titles is brilliant but there’s something special about winning the play offs.

We wouldn’t know!!!!

Why's the kick off time 13:10? That's a wee bit strange. 

I've just watched highlights of Airdrieonians and Queen's Parks' games this weekend. Dunfermline had chances, and, of course, there obviously plenty of chances on Saturday, so I think these games could produce a fair few goals, contrary to what other folk are predicting.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

Why's the kick off time 13:10? That's a wee bit strange. 

I've just watched highlights of Airdrieonians and Queen's Parks' games this weekend. Dunfermline had chances, and, of course, there obviously plenty of chances on Saturday, so I think these games could produce a fair few goals, contrary to what other folk are predicting.

I definitely think we’ll get a good few. Queens park a funny bunch. Apart from their pumping of Falkirk, they never tend to score many (or concede many). 

We have a flair that QP don’t have and should be going into this tie with confidence. We can win and we can win in style too. 

In the QP/Dunfermline  highlights you see some big gaps opening up in the middle of the park which we will exploit. Easton and Frizzel love to take the ball on the half turn and slip a ball through. Seems like our attacks just grow arms and legs once those gaps are found.

Think yesterday also showed that we can play a long ball or two and score (McCabe to Smith and Watson to Allan/Afolabi). We have every side to our game this season and  that is why I know we’ll make it all the way. 

I'm still in a  little bit of a daze after that preposterous game of football. 

Without question the maddest match I've ever witnessed in the flesh. I stood outside the ground for a good ten minutes after it in a bit of a stupor. 

Obviously we don't want it to be for nought and we couldn't ask for a better chance to go up than the one we've now given ourselves, but no matter what happens, that frankly stupit game of football will live with me for the rest of my life. I presume the same applies for everyone else there to witness it, too. 

What an incredible squad of players and coaching staff. Delighted beyond words for them all. 

Worth mentioning that Smith’s goalscoring form is absolutely as a result of him playing on the left. In his first spell I always thought that he was better when moved to the wing (although it was the right wing then) as it let him utilise his pace and work rate. His goals this season started to come with the formation change to 433 and the goals on Saturday likewise came after he moved to the left. It’s crazy how such a seemingly small change that actually moves him further away from the opposition goal has turned him into a clinical goalscorer.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds
Missed a word