The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

16 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Congratulations Dylan! Incredibly well deserved. To win an award voted by his peers just goes to show what a talented, dangerous and essential player he is. A pleasure and a privilege to watch in the diamond every week. 

Fair play to Dylan Easton getting the award of POTY. He was outstanding all season and has all the attributes you want to see from a attacking central midfielder. The quick feet, ability to take on his man, create space as well as assist and chip in with goals making him a unique talent in L1. He can definitely excel in the Championship but that goes without saying.

Our trio ending up being the bridesmaids. I feel a bit sorry for Mitch who was the top scorer in the league with 18, likely will be the SPFL golden boot winner, and was second in the league for assists with 9, only 2 between Dylan. With those figures it must have been very tight and not really sure what else he could have done to win the award - few more goals clearly! Harry was outstanding too but very rarely does a defensive player collect the award. Rory was a joy to watch for us, not only for his goals but for his ability to get the best out of himself. Realistically though he wasn't in with a chance to win the award.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/otl-podcast/id1458037240?i=1000559328837

Latest Podcast up

What is your combined 11 between 03/04 and 21/22

I’m going with

Currie

Docherty, McManus, Fordyce, Lovering

McCabe

Frizzell    Easton   McLaren 

Gow     Coyle

Harsh on so many! Didn’t think Marv had a great season (possibly his least impressive as I loved him as a player). David Dunn was excellent that year. Docherty v Watson was tough and I’m probably shoe horning Doc in. 

Any way you cut it you’d get a great team…and bench!

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Fair play to Dylan Easton getting the award of POTY. He was outstanding all season and has all the attributes you want to see from a attacking central midfielder. The quick feet, ability to take on his man, create space as well as assist and chip in with goals making him a unique talent in L1. He can definitely excel in the Championship but that goes without saying.

Our trio ending up being the bridesmaids. I feel a bit sorry for Mitch who was the top scorer in the league with 18, likely will be the SPFL golden boot winner, and was second in the league for assists with 9, only 2 between Dylan. With those figures it must have been very tight and not really sure what else he could have done to win the award - few more goals clearly! Harry was outstanding too but very rarely does a defensive player collect the award. Rory was a joy to watch for us, not only for his goals but for his ability to get the best out of himself. Realistically though he wasn't in with a chance to win the award.

Off to the Championship Forum you 😝!! 

I think Dylan’s mercurial nature and the fact so many of his contributions ended up on the SPFL Twitter Feed probably helped him to the award. 

Mitch will need to make do with a league winners medal!! 

25 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest Podcast up

I’m going with

Currie

McCabe

Gow     Coyle

Harsh on so many! Didn’t think Marv had a great season (possibly his least impressive as I loved him as a player). David Dunn was excellent that year. Docherty v Watson was tough and I’m probably shoe horning Doc in. 

Easton and 2004 Willie McLaren linking up would be ridiculous, we’d score about six every week! 

30 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Off to the Championship Forum you 😝!! 

I think Dylan’s mercurial nature and the fact so many of his contributions ended up on the SPFL Twitter Feed probably helped him to the award. 

Mitch will need to make do with a league winners medal!! 

He's got that X factor for certain, so difficult to defend against and creates space which is hugely important. Reminded me of how Declan Glass played for us in L2.

Well worthy of the award. Got a deserved shout out on AVFTT from Craig Telfer as well.

I'm sure Mitch is happy enough!

Dylan Easton appraisal can continue in this thread but deserves to be in the next rung up, for the Diamonds, along with Cove. If you are at Links Park tomorrow I'll try to seek you out for a chat.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

58 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest Podcast up

I’m going with

Currie

McCabe

Gow     Coyle

I was very young when I watched that team so my memories are mostly of the exciting and attacking players, and I’m certainly not going to argue with the inclusion of McLaren, Gow, or Coyle, but I would mention that Vareille was my favourite player back then so I’d probably have tried to squeeze him in somehow.

I think you’ve probably got the combined XI just about spot on, although I can’t claim to remember much about Mark McGeown to know Currie is better. The only thing I’m less sure about is centre back. I always remember Neil McGowan as a solid and consistent centre half, but I suppose he could be just behind McManus and Dycey.

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest Podcast up

I’m going with

Currie

McCabe

Gow     Coyle

Can't really argue with many (any) of those choices but I would possibly, and maybe somewhat controversially, include 07/08 Allan Russell and leave out Coyle from the starting 11! Can't believe I just said that. 

I'll go listen to the podcast now while I attempt to come to terms with what I've just done.

Edited to add, now that I'm listening to the podcast I see my mistake. It wasn't players who had played between those seasons but from one or the other. As you were.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Lack of understanding on my part

3 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest Podcast up

I’m going with

Currie

McCabe

Gow     Coyle

That was also my combined team after a bit of swithering. Jerome Vareille was close and on bench, and Dylan Easton sending Willie McLaren onwards would have been a delightful prospect. 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I was very young when I watched that team so my memories are mostly of the exciting and attacking players, and I’m certainly not going to argue with the inclusion of McLaren, Gow, or Coyle, but I would mention that Vareille was my favourite player back then so I’d probably have tried to squeeze him in somehow.

I think you’ve probably got the combined XI just about spot on, although I can’t claim to remember much about Mark McGeown to know Currie is better. The only thing I’m less sure about is centre back. I always remember Neil McGowan as a solid and consistent centre half, but I suppose he could be just behind McManus and Dycey.

I was a lot younger then as well and McGowan was a solid, brave, competitive defender. He is on my bench.as is Jerome.

3 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest Podcast up

I’m going with

Currie

McCabe

Gow     Coyle

Really enjoyed recording that. 

On reflection I think I’d move Doc to right-back and promote McManus to centre-half from the bench. My team would be something like: 

McGeown 
Docherty McManus Fordyce Lovering 

Wilson 

Easton  McCabe McLaren 

Gow Coyle 

Subs: McGowan, Dunn, Frizzell, Varielle, Currie, Smith and maybe Dosser for the last bench spot although a deeper or more defensive midfielder might be better in terms of the overall balance of the squad. 

Don’t think that team would ever lose a game at this level with everyone at the peak of their powers. 

26 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Ian Murray seems to be linked with the Rovers no idea if he'd be interested and thats if he doesnt get you guys up of course.  Whats he been like over the whole?  

It's a funny one, last season I wouldn't have worried too much if Murray had left. But this year he seems to have built his own team and our 20 game unbeaten run is testament to how good he can be and I would be gutted for him to go now.

Not surprised he's being linked with other jobs...but hopefully we go up , he stays and we keep our team together, not asking much in my opinion! 

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

It's a funny one, last season I wouldn't have worried too much if Murray had left. But this year he seems to have built his own team and our 20 game unbeaten run is testament to how good he can be and I would be gutted for him to go now.

Not surprised he's being linked with other jobs...but hopefully we go up , he stays and we keep our team together, not asking much in my opinion! 

He seems a good candidate compared to some of the names getting chucked about.  We are not expecting to replace McGlynn like for like but someone who can play decent football and develop younger players would be ideal.  Good luck for the next game!

Just watched the highlights from last nights other semi final and I must say that this has to be our best chance in years of going up if we get a result on Saturday! 
Now or never moment with the league being even stronger next season.

2 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

He seems a good candidate compared to some of the names getting chucked about.  We are not expecting to replace McGlynn like for like but someone who can play decent football and develop younger players would be ideal.  Good luck for the next game!

Not too much luck though…. Murray would be my first pick.

On 05/05/2022 at 13:26, Rossm25 said:

Ian Murray is an outstanding manager and Airdrie are really lucky to have him, he has built a really impressive team over the last 2 seasons, He’ll probably dump them shortly as the fans are really impatient for the old days when we were …………………….

On 05/05/2022 at 10:57, Enigma said:

Not too much luck though…. Murray would be my first pick.

Your wish and all, perhaps Murray is trying to throw the offer? More honestly, for the Diamonds fans, what happened versus Mo this year in the playoffs…did he players simply shit the bed, or did Murray get the tactics wrong (apologies if he somehow turns it around second half…see Hamilton v Raith earlier this year)

40 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Your wish and all, perhaps Murray is trying to throw the offer? More honestly, for the Diamonds fans, what happened versus Mo this year in the playoffs…did he players simply shit the bed, or did Murray get the tactics wrong (apologies if he somehow turns it around second half…see Hamilton v Raith earlier this year)

Well, there you have it. Nice adjustments, it seems…something we badly lacked this year.

37 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Well, there you have it. Nice adjustments, it seems…something we badly lacked this year.

There you really have it…you’re welcome for me jinxing it for the Mo!