The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

59 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I was listening to this as well and was surprised at quite how adamant Duffy was that Dunfermline wouldn’t go down. I’ve seen a few other posts like that on here too and to be honest I’m quite happy if others are writing us off, as we know what this team are capable of. You don’t go 19 games unbeaten at this level for no reason.

If we get past Montrose, which won’t be easy, then there’s no reason to fear Dunfermline. They have some very good players who on their day can cause a lot of problems but there’s a reason why they’ve been at the bottom all season and have continually not turned up in big games. I think Dunfermline would probably be favourites and we’d have to play at our best to have a good chance of winning it but I don’t see why they’d be certainties to stay up at all. 

They've completely written off Queens Park first of all, rightly or wrongly. Football is a strange game.

Queens might fancy their chances against Ayr or Dunfermilne. I doubt they'll do anything but they can't just be written off the way it seems they have. 

More evidence that punditry in Scottish football is riddled with dinosaurs and OF cheerleaders and that fan media is a far better alternative. 

24 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

They've completely written off Queens Park first of all, rightly or wrongly. Football is a strange game.

Queens might fancy their chances against Ayr or Dunfermilne. I doubt they'll do anything but they can't just be written off the way it seems they have. 

More evidence that punditry in Scottish football is riddled with dinosaurs and OF cheerleaders and that fan media is a far better alternative. 

Queen’s Park’s main issue this season is that they‘ve drawn far too many games, but they’ve generally been quite hard to beat. A team like that might actually be better suited to a knock out format like the playoffs than they are the league, and while Dunfermline or Ayr will rightfully be favourites against them, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a tight and cagey affair over both legs.

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Queen’s Park’s main issue this season is that they‘ve drawn far too many games, but they’ve generally been quite hard to beat. A team like that might actually be better suited to a knock out format like the playoffs than they are the league, and while Dunfermline or Ayr will rightfully be favourites against them, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a tight and cagey affair over both legs.

Yeah, if any team has it in the team to scrape through the play-offs with 1-1 draws  and penalties it’s this Queen’s Park team. Last season’s Morton team weren’t great but they needed extra time to get past Montrose and were fortunate to end up playing against a heavily depleted Airdrie team in the final. I think both semi-finals will be tight.

Always was of the opinion  that Jim Duffy is one of the biggest fuds in Scottish Football, would love to be able to ram those words in his face.

Remember when Dunfermline were a Billy big baws Premier League side and a certain wee team from the league below paid then a visit? 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/4584864.stm

Edited by Old Diamond

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

Always was of the opinion  that Jim Duffy is one of the biggest fuds in Scottish Football, would love to be able to ram those words in his face.

Remember when Dunfermline were a Billy big baws Premier League side and a certain wee team from the league below paid then a visit? 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/4584864.stm

We gave them goals of a start, then it happened, one of the best results I can remember, awe Kenny Black with that free kick was up there, Stevie  Coopers goal was up there, to many to mention, 

54 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

that 3-4 game at Dunfermline was one of the best ive been at, great day out.

Anyone got dates for the playoffs, trying to get time off work...

Semi-finals are Tuesday/Wednesday 3rd/4th May and the second leg is Saturday 7th May. 

The final is Thursday the 12th and Sunday 15th May (13:10 kick-off). 

What team should we put out on Saturday then? I would personally be resting Easton, McCabe, Smith and Gal. Ideally it will be a mixture of guys coming back from injury who could do with the game time (your MacDonalds, Kerr, Watson etc) and a chance to give some fringe players minutes in the legs ahead of the play-offs. If everyone is fit something like: 

Cantley

MacDonald Watson Kerr Walker 

Agnew

McDonald    McGill    Devenny 

Allan    Afolabi/Gabby 

It's not a great side but should still be good enough to keep our unbeaten run going (which is important) against a Peterhead side who have nothing to play for. 

Just now, airdrieman said:

What team should we put out on Saturday then? I would personally be resting Easton, McCabe, Smith and Gal. Ideally it will be a mixture of guys coming back from injury who could do with the game time (your MacDonalds, Kerr, Watson etc) and a chance to give some fringe players minutes in the legs ahead of the play-offs. If everyone is fit something like: 

Cantley

MacDonald Watson Kerr Walker 

Agnew

McDonald    McGill    Devenny 

Allan    Afolabi/Gabby 

It's not a great side but should still be good enough to keep our unbeaten run going (which is important) against a Peterhead side who have nothing to play for. 

Bryan Prunty up front please. We can bring Jim Low on for Cantley for the last 10 minutes too.

In all seriousness, ideally Watson is fit to play as getting him some minutes ahead of the play-offs would be great. We do need to sort the right-back position, especially as MacDonald would presumably be ineligible if we ended up making it to the final and played Dunfermline. Another game for MacDonald, Kerr and younger guys like Devenny and McDonald would be good too. I’d like to see Allan start up front again and hopefully get himself another goal to continue his good form over the last couple of games. It’s a risk dropping so many key players, especially when we want to keep the unbeaten run going, but it’s a tough call either way and I’d be inclined to rest several of them too.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Bryan Prunty up front please. We can bring Jim Low on for Cantley for the last 10 minutes too.

In all seriousness, ideally Watson is fit to play as getting him some minutes ahead of the play-offs would be great. We do need to sort the right-back position, especially as MacDonald would presumably be ineligible if we ended up making it to the final and played Dunfermline. Another game for MacDonald, Kerr and younger guys like Devenny and McDonald would be good too. I’d like to see Allan start up front again and hopefully get himself another goal to continue his good form over the last couple of games. It’s a risk dropping so many key players, especially when we want to keep the unbeaten run going, but it’s a tough call either way and I’d be inclined to rest several of them too.

Yeah I can totally understand going for more of a mix of first team regulars and fringe players. But I think our chances of winning the play-offs would decrease so exponentially if any of Easton, McCabe, Smith, Gal or Fordyce were to get injured or suspended in Saturday's game that I don't think it's worth the risk. Maybe Patrick Pyott will play? 

Are we putting our bets on Dunfermline placing 9th? 

I can’t see Partick rolling over to Ayr at all. Anything less than a win for them could see a winning Dunfermline side safe. 

Dunfermline will be playing a deflated QOS side who will be more than happy just to get the season over with I suspect. 

Either way, I think QP will match up any of the two sides and maybe even scrape a win. I’d much rather play QP in the final in all honesty. 

Montrose… besides our 4-1 win against them at home, I’m still not convinced that we can beat them comfortably. I think we’ll be very lucky to get a draw in the away leg but I do think we will beat them at home. 

I’m still trying to picture a winning Airdrie team behind that cardboard cinch L1 playoff winners 2021/22 sign. Only then will I be at peace 

Edited by Diamond1924

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

11 trialists on Saturday.   

After 1st team training on Thursday wrap most of them in bubble wrap and lock them in the changeroom till Tuesday.

You could just concede the game, it would keep our unbeaten run going , give us a chance of finishing above Falkirk & save me about £50 in fuel. 😜 

8 minutes ago, peternapper said:

You could just concede the game, it would keep our unbeaten run going , give us a chance of finishing above Falkirk & save me about £50 in fuel. 😜 

Still need to fulfill the fixture.  Can't pass the opportunity to abuse Ryan conroy.    Though I hope your left back doesn't take it to heart.  Hes prone to downtools. 

Surely for your last game of the season busses must be booked for the drinking session?  Will be a long off season with no world Cup till November. 

Ryan has hardly been seen this season, Flynn Duffy on loan from Dundee Utd has played there most of the games then of course we have Rico Quitongo on the right who will feel at home i am sure. Think there may be a bus going but i tend to do my own thing

58 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I'm impressed that they managed to narrow it down to 10 goals to pick from, I feel like most weeks there's a goal that in a normal season would be on the list.

Watching them all back is fantastic, as you say in previous seasons we'd probably have had 1 goal of that standard. Plus the list obviously doesn't include McInroy's 2 belters, plus Gallagher's team goal at East Fife. Probably others as well that I've missed.

The same with POTY, in previous years I've genuinely struggled to think of a player who deserves it. This season there's at least 6 who you could claim deserve it. I voted Fordyce, for all the fantastic attacking play he's the one player who has been a rock at the back all season with multiple defensive players either side of him, never misses a game and I think would be the biggest loss to the team if missing one week. Although as I say there are numerous others equally deserving. Just hope we can get through the play-offs to cap a superb season.

For player of the year I couldn't decide who to pick between Easton and McCabe, tossed a coin and it landed on heads. So McCabe it is.

Watching some of the goals back is brilliant. There is genuinely no right or wrong answer in terms of what people vote for which is very pleasing.

Will be really nice to see the awards presented at the end of the game too.

Edited by David Fernández

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'm impressed that they managed to narrow it down to 10 goals to pick from, I feel like most weeks there's a goal that in a normal season would be on the list.

I think the goal of the season should be the one up at East Fife when we passed the ball about for ages and it’s not even in the short list. 🙄