The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

59 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I met Adam in the BP the Monday after the sending off and he did Indeed say 2 games.

A straight red indeed gets 2. Harsh at the time from a tube of a Ref. On the subject of Ref. We were all waiting for the Barry Cooke show today. Apart from a wee bit of inconsistencies , our penalty award was crucial in a fairly even , if boring, first half. 

Glad to see McCabe strike it home The change of putting Allan through the middle had Clyde all over the place. Jordan's role in winning the ball and making a quality pass to Smith was just so good. Great to see him score and Clyde looked spent . Smashing to see Love lose the plot and he was maybe lucky Cooke did not see his handshake as sarcasm.

The pass by Allan should have been dealt with better by Parry but it was just right for Gallagher. It could have been more than 5 but Kyle McDonald rounded off a good game , with a composed drive. 

The icing on the cake was if course Afolabi showing that he can score a goal and he looked keener than last week. 

There were some Clyde attacks and Currie did his job well and when you can afford to have such a young team finish the game, it's a great day . Pity about not catching Cove but we can reflect on that later.

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

A straight red indeed gets 2. Harsh at the time from a tube of a Ref. On the subject of Ref. We were all waiting for the Barry Cooke show today. Apart from a wee bit of inconsistencies , our penalty award was crucial in a fairly even , if boring, first half. 

Glad to see McCabe strike it home The change of putting Allan through the middle had Clyde all over the place. Jordan's role in winning the ball and making a quality pass to Smith was just so good. Great to see him score and Clyde looked spent . Smashing to see Love lose the plot and he was maybe lucky Cooke did not see his handshake as sarcasm.

The pass by Allan should have been dealt with better by Parry but it was just right for Gallagher. It could have been more than 5 but Kyle McDonald rounded off a good game , with a composed drive. 

The icing on the cake was if course Afolabi showing that he can score a goal and he looked keener than last week. 

There were some Clyde attacks and Currie did his job well and when you can afford to have such a young team finish the game, it's a great day . Pity about not catching Cove but we can reflect on that later.

Agree with all of this. A thoroughly enjoyable day out in the end and a brilliant win to keep things ticking along nicely. 

As you say, the first half was pretty dull. Neither side created many chances but Clyde probably looked a bit more dangerous, so I was relieved to see us get the penalty and to see us score one for a change. 

The second half performance was outstanding. We looked like we could score with every attack and Clyde had no idea how to cope with Allan and Smith’s pace. Allan was excellent and probably my man of the match, worked incredibly hard and his movement created loads of space for Smith and Easton to drift into. It’s a shame he never got a goal but after our big discussion about him recently, he might just be playing his way into the team at the right time. 

The subs were a great laugh today. Bringing Afolabi on for Fordyce and just going 3-4-3 for a bit to try and score even more was very entertaining and it was good to see Afolabi get a goal with a very nice finish. I burst out laughing at the triple sub when I saw Jay Cantley appear on the touchline. The game was done by then but we looked absolutely fine with so many key players off the pitch and it’s good to give guys like McDonald and Ritchie a run out when we get the chance.

Hopefully we can relax a bit next week now we know exactly where we’ll finish, another win to keep the run going while resting a few key players would be ideal.

Although we didn't win the league, that was a brilliant day to be an Airdrie fan.

Game was fairly scrappy in the first half and a bit of a non event, ironically I thought Clyde played better today than the 2-2 game.

Second half was just a joy to watch. Everytime we went forward it looked as if we were about to score. Jordan Allan must be knocking on the door for a starting position now.

Pleased to see Kyle MacDonald back and he took his goal really well.

On a side note I bumped into Ian Murray and Scott Agnew in broadwood farm, too genuinely nice guys and had a great conversation with, both getting a well earned and deserved pint of tennents. 🍺

Feel proud that everyone is behind the team and onwards and upwards in the play offs.

Edited by David Fernández

Best of luck in the play offs. I have to echo comments above that I thought Clyde played better today than in our two draws against you. I actually felt it was a much more even game today but you guys were absolutely clinical when chances came your way and Currie pulled off three very good saves. One of your defenders made a great clearance off the line too. Strength and depth all through the squad - something that certainly can’t be said for my own team. I wouldn’t bet against you in the play offs anyway!

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Although we didn't win the league, that was a brilliant day to be an Airdrie fan.

Game was fairly scrappy in the first half and a bit of a non event, ironically I thought Clyde played better today than the 2-2 game.

Second half was just a joy to watch. Everytime we went forward it looked as if we were about to score. Jordan Allan must be knocking on the door for a starting position now.

Pleased to see Kyle MacDonald back and he took his goal really well.

On a side note I bumped into Ian Murray and Scott Agnew in broadwood farm, too genuinely nice guys and had a great conversation with, both getting a well earned and deserved pint of tennents. 🍺

Feel proud that everyone is behind the team and onwards and upwards in the play offs.

Did you manage to get Ian Murray to sign a blank napkin which can be converted into a new contract?

Listening to Sportsound on the way home last night and Jim Duffy spouting off about Dunfermline. He said they’ll have too much for any League One side and they have a really strong team - they’re ninth in the league and in a relegation play off spot. It got me thinking, is there any other manager that gets it easy from pundits as John Hughes? 

9 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Listening to Sportsound on the way home last night and Jim Duffy spouting off about Dunfermline. He said they’ll have too much for any League One side and they have a really strong team - they’re ninth in the league and in a relegation play off spot. It got me thinking, is there any other manager that gets it easy from pundits as John Hughes? 

I think there’s an idea based on last season’s playoff final that there’s a big gulf between the top end of League One and the bottom of the Championship. Obviously that idea ignores how far we’ve improved since then and that we had several players carrying knocks in last season’s final. We’re 19 unbeaten in the league and across those 19 games there haven’t been many moments where it’s looked like the streak might come to an end. We’ve racked up more points per game than Partick Thistle or Raith Rovers did as champions in the two shortened seasons, and we’ve got one point more than Arbroath did in the last full season with a game to spare. If we’re as good as or better than those teams then I see no reason why we shouldn’t quietly confident.

14 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Whatever side Dumnfermline go up against if they are in playoffs,  The media excuses  will be rolled out,,    State of Firhill pitch etc,     The plastic pitch at mo or airdrie not fit for purpose etc,    poorer teams dragging the pars down to our level see last points...

That's the way the media work, League 1 is just the shite on Scottish football's shoe in their opinion...

27 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think someone at BBC Sport might be a little bit confused

95A4B639-A86F-490C-9DD8-71A709157070.jpeg

They haven't a clue - "The introduction of the pyramid system in 2014-15 presented a gateway to the senior leagues"

F*** me, how do you complain about this shite?

1 hour ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

I was listening to this as well and was surprised at quite how adamant Duffy was that Dunfermline wouldn’t go down. I’ve seen a few other posts like that on here too and to be honest I’m quite happy if others are writing us off, as we know what this team are capable of. You don’t go 19 games unbeaten at this level for no reason.

If we get past Montrose, which won’t be easy, then there’s no reason to fear Dunfermline. They have some very good players who on their day can cause a lot of problems but there’s a reason why they’ve been at the bottom all season and have continually not turned up in big games. I think Dunfermline would probably be favourites and we’d have to play at our best to have a good chance of winning it but I don’t see why they’d be certainties to stay up at all. 

35 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They haven't a clue - "The introduction of the pyramid system in 2014-15 presented a gateway to the senior leagues"

F*** me, how do you complain about this shite?

The utter disregard shown for lower leagues by the Scottish media is a disgrace. On one of the match reports from yesterday it had Afolabi adding a "firth" goal, pash journalism.

And listening to the pundits on the way home talking about Dunfermline having nothing to fear from us or anyone else is just embarrassing. 

I hope QP do Dunfermline! 

1 hour ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Jim Duffy.