The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, sick boy said:

Ian Murray lads? Any rumours from your end?

No rumours yet. Would imagine that the speculation will begin if we fail to go up this year.

If we go up to the championship then I don’t see Ian Murray departing unless the move is purely financial.

He’s a good manager and deals with the press well. I do think he’s happy at Airdrie and likes his current set up. But as I say, his tenure is all dependant on wether we go up or not. 

5 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

No rumours yet. Would imagine that the speculation will begin if we fail to go up this year.

If we go up to the championship then I don’t see Ian Murray departing unless the move is purely financial.

He’s a good manager and deals with the press well. I do think he’s happy at Airdrie and likes his current set up. But as I say, his tenure is all dependant on wether we go up or not. 

Cheers, decent bit of talk through here of him being contacted regarding the role. 

Agree probably a lot depends on your promotion hopes.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Talk of Falkirk but I’m slightly more worried Hibs might be having a look at Murray. That’s a job I’m sure he’d take in a heartbeat, maybe even if we go up. Here’s hoping they think he needs more experience at a higher level before becoming a Premiership manager.

I think Murray would love to end up at hibs at some point but it’s far too big a leap at the moment. 

Hibs can’t really afford to mess up another appointment and offering the job to Murray would be a risk I don’t think they’d be willing to take. 

I think an offer for the Falkirk job is more likely if we fail to go up but we’ll just need to see. 

I can see us going up this year 

9 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think Murray would love to end up at hibs at some point but it’s far too big a leap at the moment. 

Hibs can’t really afford to mess up another appointment and offering the job to Murray would be a risk I don’t think they’d be willing to take. 

I think an offer for the Falkirk job is more likely if we fail to go up but we’ll just need to see. 

I can see us going up this year 

Even if we do go up you might get a Neilson Dundee United to Hearts type move with him dropping back down a league for more money. You’d be very wary of the Falkirk job though!!!!

Can’t work Falkirk out. Rumours of part time football don’t quite add up with Griffiths or believing they could attract a manager away from a functional football club!

Edited by CapitalDiamond

42 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Even if we do go up you might get a Neilson Dundee United to Hearts type move with him dropping back down a league for more money. You’d be very wary of the Falkirk job though!!!!

Can’t work Falkirk out. Rumours of part time football don’t quite add up with Griffiths or believing they could attract a manager away from a functional football club!

Massive close season ahead, albeit possibly easier if we can get to the championship,     The Murray rumours will continue well into the summer,  Falkirk, Raith(wait and see) amongst others, his stock is really as high as it wil get with Airdrie,  he probably knows this,    what can we as a club do to keep him. More money,   larger player budget IF promoted,    personally I think Murray would like a youth setup to work with,   anymore rumours of Go w coming in with Chinese investment,   that is the sort of thing , I think could keep Murray in  Airdrie.....

Massive 4 weeks ahead  to the end of the season, 

If Murray gets us promoted and ”IF” he leaves for Falkirk, Hibs, Raith or whoever then so be it and he will leave with my best wishes. 

As it stands though I’m sure he knows he’s got it good at airdrie he’s unanimously well liked, he’s been given time to build a team and backroom staff of his choosing and we are currently having our best season in a long time.

If I was Murray I’d be holding out for a more stable club than Falkirk though we all know if they get off to a bad/average start again next season he’ll be out the door. The grass isn’t always greener with Leon McCann the number 1 example. 

From an Airdrie point of view I hope he stays and we can retain this squad hopefully for a shot at the championship. 

*Also I find this chat about a youth academy strange I’ve no idea why we’d want on we’ve got the best squad we’ve had in years because all our money can be spent on the first team squad. 

Edited by Diamond10

On 19/04/2022 at 11:12, Bring Your Own Socks said:

We were Admiral this year. That deal was signed before Leeann Dempster came. There's new kit been confirmed as coming but no confirmation. Speculation it might be Macron. Although that might be Le Pen by the weekend ;) No speculation at all on whether the Skittles design has run it's course.

Information greatly appreciated. Lol

If we go up, I’d be shocked if Murray left.  He’d be working with a settled squad, a majority of whom will stay, and he’d surely have some sort of decent budget to work with.  I’m sure he’d be receiving a larger wage.  Why bother going to a different Championship club if he thinks an Airdrie team could be knocking on the Premiership door within a couple of seasons? (Maybe) It’s all down to how ambitious our BOD are… BUT if we stay down then he’ll look to secure his immediate future and Falkirk may be the answer.  But in doing that, he’ll want to take some key players with him.  This means breaking up our team.  Or do the BOD shell out what’s needed, secure Murray and keep the team together so we can do a CR next season??? Hibs?? No chance…. Not yet.  3 or 4 years? Maybe… probably. But not now.   Like most of us, I’m really hopeful for the playoffs but they can be cruel.  I’ve seen too much heartache over the years.  We need Championship football! 

Another way for Murray to look at leaving the club… McCann and McInroy… our star defender from last season SURELY regretting his move to Falkirk and could have been in the shop window at Airdrie and part of team pushing for promotion.  Now facing 2 more seasons at a shit show.  McInroy…. I said at the time it was a case of ‘if it’s not broken, don’t fix it’.  I know he needs to look after number 1 but now part of an outfit possibly heading to L1. He’s one of the highlights at the club I’m told, but maybe he’ll be back with us if we get promotion.  That would be hilarious 

On 18/04/2022 at 12:51, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Curious what most people’s player of the year shouts are at the moment. I imagine Easton will be popular, and it’s hard to argue against McCabe or Smith being in with a shout too, but right now I’m leaning towards Frizzell.

McCabe or Easton for me. Scott McGill for YPotY. Just as difficult will be the Goal of the Season although IMO that was wrapped up by the League Cup with McCabe's goal v Motherwell. 

On 18/04/2022 at 19:17, Diamond1924 said:

I’d love to say that POTY would be Easton for his flair but my head says McCabe or Frizz.

McCabe has literally strolled this league. His communication and calmness has won us games. He’s had a good career and that shows.

Frizz has just not stopped all season. Works his socks off every game and has proved to be one of our best going forward with multiple assists and goals. 

I’d also give Gallagher an award this year. He’s proved himself to be a prolific goal scorer and has came up with the goods when it really mattered.

Aren't you meant to be slagging Gal so that he scores on Saturday? 

On 19/04/2022 at 17:25, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Talk of Falkirk but I’m slightly more worried Hibs might be having a look at Murray. That’s a job I’m sure he’d take in a heartbeat, maybe even if we go up. Here’s hoping they think he needs more experience at a higher level before becoming a Premiership manager.

Muzz was on the news saying Hibs should go for Derek McInnes so I don't think he has eyes on that job just yet.

25 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

McCabe or Easton for me. Scott McGill for YPotY. Just as difficult will be the Goal of the Season although IMO that was wrapped up by the League Cup with McCabe's goal v Motherwell. 

Aren't you meant to be slagging Gal so that he scores on Saturday? 

Ah yes, how could I forget!

Gallagher? Slow, offside, lazy etc etc (please score) 

Hitting and hoping on here as couldn't see anywhere else to ask. I am a collector of football scarves and currently trying to collect one from each club in Scotland ultimately for a display in my son's room. Ideally I look for a scarf that has the name of the team across the middle (many now seem to be plain stripes with a club emblem either side). I have been struggling to find one for Airdrie with the current online shop offering not having the club name across it. if anyone on here at all has a spare scarf that they would be willing to sell to me then please PM me. 

Also I know a complete longshot but if anyone has a spare scarf from the Airdrie Utd era then I would be very interested in taking that off someone's hands....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

17 hours ago, Sc4rfMan said:

Hitting and hoping on here as couldn't see anywhere else to ask. I am a collector of football scarves and currently trying to collect one from each club in Scotland ultimately for a display in my son's room. Ideally I look for a scarf that has the name of the team across the middle (many now seem to be plain stripes with a club emblem either side). I have been struggling to find one for Airdrie with the current online shop offering not having the club name across it. if anyone on here at all has a spare scarf that they would be willing to sell to me then please PM me. 

Also I know a complete longshot but if anyone has a spare scarf from the Airdrie Utd era then I would be very interested in taking that off someone's hands....

DM me your address and I can send you an Airdrie United one. Probably at my parent’s house so may take a few weeks

17 hours ago, Sc4rfMan said:

https://www.thefootballnation.co.uk/airdrieonians-airdrie-diamond-scarf/

is this no use for Airdrieonians? 

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Brilliant, I have sent you a message. Looking for one with Airdrie or Airdrieonians across the middle ideally, had noticed that one online so keeping it in mind if nothing surfaces.